Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH boots

Poster: A snowHead
well it appears that in the 5 years since last skiing, having 2 babaies and putting on quite a bit of weight my feet have changed shape/size and my boots are no longer a good fit. They just seem too big in every way. I am a size 4 normally in shoes but some trainers i need a 31/2 in and i have a very narrow foot. I am currently in a 23.0 boot (salomon evolution Cool with green superfeet and i just feel like my feet are moving al over the place, my heel can lift a lot and i'm pretty sure my feet are rolling in the boots when i try to get on my edges.

so anyway thought i would see about getting some new ones, I've visited a couple of shops and am getting differing advice. Craigdon in perth have said i am a 23.0 and i tried various boots on they thought would be suitable, however they only had 23.5 and said it was no different to a 23.0 and a manufactureres ploy to make people think they are getting half a size bigger. Anyway everything they had in stock was feeling just like what i have now. Went to EB at braehead and they measured me at a 22.5 which would figure as it would be a 31/2 which technically is the size i should be in, but lo and behold they didn't have any boots in the whole company i could try in that size. there is one more shop which does boot fitting in perth who i am going to see today to see what they say but if the boot fitters are saying different things how am i supposed to know what is right. I know how a boot should feel so am inclined to just keep trying places until i find something that is fitting snugly.

I wish i could visit CEM or SZK but unfortunatly not really a possibiliy of getting to either of these places at the moment unless we end up with a late deal to chamonix in april.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
charlichops, I too have tiny feet - size 3 to a 3.5 for shoes. I used to have size 23 boots which were too big. I went for boot fitting in Blues, Edinburgh last month. I got Nordica SM's in a size 23.5. My old boots were too wide, not too long. The new boots are fab, and really made a difference to my skiing when I was up at Glenshee.

The chap said that there is no difference in shell size between 23 and 23.5 - just difference in liner (or something like that I think, maybe). I watched him measure my feet, and I was definitely over the size 23 on his foot measuring scale thingy (but only just). I was really impresssed with the staff there.

Before visiting Blues, I had a chat with the guys in EB in Aviemore. They seemed to have a good range of boots in small sizes.

I think you do just need to keep trying until you find the right boot. Good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sheepmadang,

thanks, my feet are actually measuring 22.5 to 23.0 on the measurng thing (seems to change depending on what time of day????) EB in braehead were adament i was 22.5 and wouldn't even try me in a 23.0 so no idea what they had in stock in that size.

I think my boots are too wide too rather than too long also as i have a really narrow foot. Am going to banks today to see what they say and have then i might think about trying Blues too. As you say though i think the more pairs you try the better idea you will get anyway.

I'm hoping whatever i get wil be a heck of a lot lighter than what i have now as they are so so heavy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
charlichops, if you are measuring less than 23 then in most cases you will be in the 22/22.5 shell.... best thing is to have the liner out and try the shell on your foot, no more than about 20mm [and that is for maximum comfort] behind your heel with your toes just brushing the front.....BEWARE the some 22.5 shells are really 23 shells with either a plastic bumper in the front or an extra thick toe in ther liner [ NORDICA speed machine and HEAD edge are classic examples of this.]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good news i have been into banks in perth today, got measured today and was just slighlty over the 22.5 point but as i have a low volume foot the boot fitter suggested i tried the 22 shell range (and she had some in stock)she initally put me in the salomon minx in a 22.0 and it was a fantastic fit. I also tried loads of other boots in 22's and 23's and the minx was the one i kept going back to. Along with a conformable footbed i think i have found my perfect boot after trying about 20 different ones i think. Going back in a couple of days to try again and get all heated stuff done if i still feel they are right which i'm sure they will.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ggood luck, trying to find a good boot fitter is a pain! the difference between say a 23 and 23.5 is the width of the boot and not the length, from me one piece of advice, try ProFeet, bloody brilliant company.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_doc wrote:
, try ProFeet, bloody brilliant company.

Really Puzzled Not from my experience, still, I expect I had the entire shop on a bad day, but it still cost me £100, plus the costs incurred in getting the boots right afterwards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_doc,
Quote:

the difference between say a 23 and 23.5 is the width of the boot and not the length,

Not true. Apart from Atomic B series and Scarpa Spirit last. In which cases it's shell LENGTH and Width. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so what is the difference exactly if any at all? i have been told various things from 1/2 sizes, to more volume in a .5, to absolutely no difference at all.

all i know is i tried a 22.0 on today and although it says UK 2.5 it fit really well, toes were at the end in normal standing position and it felt solid around my foot with very very little movement, but no so tight my footwas dropping off. i think if i had been given these boots when i first started skiing i would have nver got started but now with some experience it's funny how you appreciate this tight fit
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, all moulds for boots, Jnr, Womens and Mens are the same. This applies 100% to clogs(the lower part of your boot.) Therefore a shell in 26 or 26.5 are the same. There are certain exceptions, Atomic B series and Scarpa 'Spirit' series, change through 26.5 and 27. therefore length and width will change. Coller(the upper part of your ski boot may change) to comply with certain flex ratios and calf height. Too many variants to mention, but in gross, the foot shape will be the same. Liners may change from size to size, footbeds may change from size to size as will base boards. But under no circumstances will boots change in width or length outside these parameters. So, if we take a few common examples; Nordica Speedmachine, Salomon Falcon, Impact or Dalbello Krypton donot change in anyway(plastic shell around the foot) between 26-26.5. Liners, footbeds, buckles and collers may differ but if in the hands of a compatent bootfitter this will add up to nothing. I've heard many a "Bootfitter" suggest width and length changes, but this is not the rule but the exception. To my knowledge there is only one boot that is solely available for women, the Head 'Dreamthang'. Otherwise they are all the same. So, a Salomon Scarlet is the exact same thing as a Falcon outside flex and liner. A Speedmachine of any numerical denomination is the same as an Olympia SM12, with a few changes to liner, and a few rivets and screws. What everyone is looking at is the 'Clog' that fits the footshape, this has very little to do with the boot marketed as WMS, Mens or JnR. That's where your bootfitter comes in.

Clear as mud?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finally decided to get rid of my massive, elderly, fit where they touch boots. I'm going to take a trip to Blues in Glasgow, word at the ski club is that I should see a lady called Shona. If my memory serves me right SZK has spoken highly of her in the past.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, many thanks, yes that does make sense. I had heard the dream thang was the only women specific boot available but have found all head boots to wide for me in the past (although not tried the dreamthang)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
charlichops, Please remember, each manufacturer has many lasts(shapes), not all will fit but one will get close, buy tight if in doubt. And remember, Raster's are not rock stars, there are just heavy users of roco-co-co-caine.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlichops, the dreamthang does not have a 'published last width' like most boots , Head simply refer to it is a womens performance fit, it is around 99-100mm but at the end of the day this is just a number, it is the shape that counts and how that shape fits your foot...

ickabodblue, you are thinking of Catriona in Edingburgh but Shona in Glasgow will look after you.... just tell her that we sent you Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, 99mm. Think Atomic M series with a lower instep. wink Time you got your ass out here for a wax and edge.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, CEM, thanks for your advice. I have a pair of salomon mynx on hold in a 22.0, they fit very tightly and securely and support my feet and heels through all the movements, they are the tightest i have ever felt a boot on my foot which is good as i was beginning to think nothing would be small enough. my feet are very very tiny and i cannot get any fashionable slip on shoes to fit me ever they are always too wide so i tend to live my life in trainers (in kids sizes....lol) or wellies (i have a horse, i don't wear them out on the town) the problem i have had with a lot of boots is that i have had to do them up so tight to hold my foot in that i have been cutting off the circulation, these ones just hold me in firmly without excessive tightening. i tried other boots on in the same mondo point size and they didn't feel right, just the wrong shape.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy