Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 days in Chamonix - a few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I will be in Chamonix from sat feb 29th to March 5th. Will be skiing 3 days - sun, mon, tue. I am an advanced
off-piste skier (not an expert though). would appreciate any help with these.

1) has anyone used Cham express transfer from GVA. are they on time or do they make you wait for a long
period of time - waiting for other passengers. should I use them or go with ALtibus. only problem with Altibus
is they will drop me off at the station.

2) SKiing - I would like to ski vallee blanche one day and maybe spend 2 days at Grand Montets.
has anyone used ESF chamonix guides - or been on their Ski Fun Tours or Cham Unik tour. how was it.
what was the level fo skiers.

3) any experience with Chamonix-Aventure.com

thanks in advance
Marty
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mrpow,

we went through Patrick Anulliero - the guide was some action woman who takes people off piste skiing in the winter and mountaineering in the summer
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick0861

how many people were in your group. what itinerary did you guys take? how would you categorize the skill level of people in your group?

thanks very much
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also do i need to make reservation for ALtibus or Chamexpress. i will be there saturday March 1st around 1pm.
can i just go there and take the next bus or is there a possibility that it will be full.

thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mrpow,

we were in a group of four - paid sixty euro each i think - ability level would be intermediate. we took the traditional easier route. conditions were very good - not a cloud in the sky (although we did do it in april)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mrpow,

I just turned up at GVA and saw their waiting boards. I was lucky I managed to get onto Cham Expresss' bus quite easily but it is a booked service so it could have turned out wrong for me.

There were 3 buses waiting from various Chamonix transfer agents and all were leaving with 30 mins of each other, I think.

It cost me 40eu to the driver on the day but 35eu on the website IIRC, one way.

If you book, you are booked a seat, if you just turn up, then you might have to wait awhile. Solo's are much easier to fit in, of course....

As you get there on a saturday, then maybe look around for the TO transfer coaches..might be cheaper as the money could just be in the pocket of the transfer rep...

If I were going on a saturday, then I look for the last option 1st.... but any other day, then look at Cham Express etc
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrpow, I booked a guide privately for the VB through the AIGMB last April. They let me down, so can't recommend them. I strongly suspect that I was gazumped on the booking. Did get a refund though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you mean Alpybus? If so, we used them last year, they were efficient, cheap, dropped off at our hotel.

We spent 6 days (including the Vallee Blanche) skiing with Ski Fun Tours, I can't recommend them highly enough, they were fantastic. They had two or more groups, one was for true experts who skiied the toughest terrain available.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mrpow, if you're arriving on a Saturday I would definitely book. Cham Express is new but seem good so far. Altibus are always reliable but as you observe don't drop you off. I'd probably book Cham Express and check the Altibus timetable in case of any problems. I reccomend a 'belt and braces' approach to transfers as I've had problems before, and I like to take numbers of a few, just in case.

Shellski, Good to hear reccomendations for the ski fun tours, I haven't done them but we do get asked about them so I'll remember that.

snowbunny, that's a shame you got let down. We booked through AIGMB as the last time we went looking for a guide, they gave us much better information about the conditions than the main guide office, and seemed more interested in finding out what we actually wanted to do.
The guide we met there was Neil Hitchings
http://neil-hitchings.com/
who was great and who I highly recommend. We did a day ice-climbing with him later, which was brilliant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy