Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Adaptive Second discipline course

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, If you hear of the summer dates I'd be grateful if you could let me know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too. I was half thinking about trying some of the modules last summer out of interest anyway, but didn't get my back bottom in gear.

IIRC they didn't run any at MK last year - it was Braehead and Manchester.

I'm wondering if they'd run some in MK if we could get a possie together...?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni wrote:
I'm wondering if they'd run some in MK if we could get a possie together...?

Hemel would be much better for me, and they seem very keen to forge a good relationship with BASI. These are the BASI courses they have scheduled already.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good point rob@rar and better beginner's slope.

I'll drop PSG a PM to see what he thinks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Good point rob@rar and better beginner's slope.

I'll drop PSG a PM to see what he thinks.

Good idea. Depending on dates we might be able to field at least 4 people (me, you, skimottaret and beanie1).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd imagine it will all be dependent on trainer's availability - doubt there are many adaptive trainers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've dropped PSG a PM and asked him to reply here. Don't ask, don't get, etc. And I'd imagine he'd be keen on having some adaptive instructors potentially available. (You'd hope, anyway.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HI Guys, I would be very keen to get a BASI adaptive (5 day course) as a second discipline running at our facility in Hemel Hempstead over the summer. If there is a group (I would also do it) then I could ask BASI if this is an option. Let me know what you think.

PSG
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Guys, I am very keen to get a BASI 5 day adaptive course running at Hemel Snow Centre during the summer, I would also like to do it. If there is a group then I could ask BASI if this is an option.

Regards

PSG
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gilleski, how many would you need to make the course viable? Two of the 2-day modules would probably be a bit easier to manage time-wise (if that is acceptable to BASI as a second discipline), but if the only option was the 5-day course I'd prefer to do that in the UK than in the Alps.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Would need to check on minimum numbers but a full group (whatever that is on adaptive course) would be best. We have 2 including myself here that really need to do it.

I will get on to BASI and see how it would work.

PSG
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gilleski, thanks, let us know what BASI say but with your two plus a few of us from the forum we have a good start to get a group together. Have to say the thought of being taught in the same group as PSG is a little daunting... Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd be up for that but only if it's run over weekends. Don't get enough holiday to spend it in a fridge unfortunately!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the quick reply gilleski.

I'd be up for something, but only if it were at weekends as I have the same time constraints as beanie1.

I'd be happy to commit upfront to a series of courses though, if it would help with viability.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i might be up for a summer session.

a guy on my course said he did two 2 day modules at Chill factore and that got him his second discipline. No need to do the full 5 or 10 dayer according to him....
snow conditions
Skimottaret is right - I've already had that confirmed by BASI. Much cheaper way to do it.
latest report
if we can get a trainer in for two weekend courses i am definately interested. I would prefer down south at hemel or MK of course but would travel to Chill if need be.

gilleski, it would be great if you could get a trainer interested to come down. I can mention this to Ross Green next week and see if any Xscape coaches would like to attend. As i mentioned previously we have a few adaptive racers and i am sure RG would like some of his coaches on the course. I dont think getting numbers will be a problem if the dates are sorted early...
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
I'm not doing the Germany course now - I think they still hope to run it but they were unable to confirm 6 wks before

Sorry to hear that. My attempts to get onto this course (with only non-BASI qualification) have not had any success (yet). Indeed, they haven't had any response up till now. My first e-mail (on 30.12.2008) was answered very promptly, saying that my request would be passed on to the Adaptive Director. I sent a reminder e-mail on 13.1 but have still heard nothing more. Pity. When I looked yesterday, there was only one person booked on the course, so the chances of it running don't seem all that great.
latest report
If it was run over a couple of weekends in the summer i'd be up for a trek down to the southern side. I've been after doing it for a while. Plus also it'd be an excuse aswell to get away from the other half and catch up with some old friends who live down that way..
ski holidays
anybody who wants to do the second discipline indoors must know that you do 2 days training in two disciplines and then must get 12 hours assisted teaching hours signed by an BASI adaptive instructor. this is 12 hours for each one. When these are done you can then do the assesments. There are alot of slopes indoors and artificial where adaptive instructors teach but would be advisable to check it is possible to shadow people before doing the training.
ski holidays
powderbabeontour, Welcome to Snowheads!!

Interesting news about the shadowing hours. Do you know of any adaptive instructors in the south that can do the assisted teaching hours? Any work at MK , Hemel or nearby dry slopes?
ski holidays
Hm, that could make it quite tricky. 24 shadowing hours v difficult to fit in, particularly if you work full time and live somewhere where there are few adaptive lessons taking place.
ski holidays
skimottaret - there's an adaptive group at MK that meets once a month on a Sunday for three hours.

beanie1 - come and learn telemarking Toofy Grin

In all seriousness, I'd be up for this either way - I think it would be an interesting experience.
snow report
choices hmmm...

A) Soldeu Adaptive Second Discipline Course 30/03/2009 - 04/04/2009 zero of 10 so far, emails to adaptive director dont get answered so probably wont run.

B) Do two weekend modules sometime this summer in UK - nothing on the cards so far, then try to get 24 hours of shadowing. 2-3 months of sunday mornings, then try to book assessments..

C) Zermatt Telemark Level 1 Instructor 27/04/2009 - 01/05/2009 £375.00 11/20 Bring tele gear out for half term and mess around self learning, rock up with only a little tele experience, spank another grand on BASI courses and maybe pass but at least have fun failing.

D) wait till next season for above course but risk that ISIA changes the rules yet again and find you still dont qualify for the stamp.

what would you choose Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
duplicate post

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-02-09 13:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
skimottaret - there's an adaptive group at MK that meets once a month on a Sunday for three hours.

cool didnt know about that, who is the trainer?
snow conditions
B) looks the most promising for you, especially if there's at least 4 of us (plus a couple at Hemel) to help get a viable group together. Nothing stopping you from doing L1 Telemark in the future if that's of interest.
ski holidays
skimottaret, i thought b for myself but the shadowing in between courses kind of puts the rocks on that - i just wouldn't be able to fit it in with my saturday coaching commitment too.

If i were you I'd give c a go. If you fail you could always then revert to option b!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, one or two from Xscape were interested in the Hemel courses, RG said he may attend as well...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, one or two from Xscape were interested in the Hemel courses, RG said he may attend as well...

That's probably a full group already. Hopefully we can get a Trainer for a couple of weekends as soon as the ski season is over (and Hemel is open) and get underway. The shadowing is a pain, but probably a good thing to make it a worthwhile experience.
ski holidays
espri, have you had any news yet? If it were open to non-BASI qualified people then I would be quite interested (as I can't find out anything about similar courses as part of the Canadian system - only adaptive coaching).
snow report
Having said that, I have just found out some information on the CADS courses on some backwater website. Nothing about them on the CADS website itself though... rolling eyes
ski holidays
E) get together enough people to run an indoor L1 telemark post ski season...

any takers for that option?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
FlyingStantoni wrote:

cool didnt know about that, who is the trainer?

I can't remember sorry. Ross or Ali will know.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
E) get together enough people to run an indoor L1 telemark post ski season...

any takers for that option?

That's a possibility - although it'd need to be over two consecutive weekends to work for me because of leave constraints.

I know one of the telemark trainers quite well and could sound him out about doing something.
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
espri, have you had any news yet?

No, not a word, which I find a pretty poor show Sad Must admit that I haven't asked again, as I'd rather given up the matter as a dead loss (at least for this time). For information, I might mention that I do have an instructor's qualification (Grundstufe = Basic) from the Deutscher Skilehrerverband (German Ski Instructors' Association). I had hoped that would have been sufficient to get me on the course. I wasn't particularly interested in ending up with an official BASI qualification; I wanted rather just to learn something about what is involved in helping with Adaptive Skiing.

Who knows - maybe another chance will turn up some time.
snow conditions
Just to say that PSG mentioned in a message that he's meeting somone from Disability Snowsports UK and will be discussing the adaptive stuff with them. First meeting though, I think, so I suspect we won't necessarily hear anything until there's something concrete(ish).
snow report
bump... looks as though the 2nd discipline course has been cancelled in Andorra.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil typically no answer from basi after emails to the adaptive director.

anyone have any news on the indoor courses this summer? and crucially any idea on how to get 12 hours of shadowing per course. i would be surprised if you could find enough students taking lessons in a dome to get that amount of time in
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

any idea on how to get 12 hours of shadowing per course. i would be surprised if you could find enough students taking lessons in a dome to get that amount of time in

That's exactly the problem I saw which is what put me off. I think it'd be a logistical nightmare!

Take up snowboarding! Twisted Evil
snow report
beanie1, the week long second discipline course made no mention of shadowing hours... i am wondering if BASI would run that indoors.

I may be seeing PSG tomorrow and will ask...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy