Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian hut question

Poster: A snowHead
Look on the sample menu for the Obergurgl hut and must visit apres ski venue the Nederhütte www.Nederhuette.at
They do great food, ribs, deep fried camembert and Käsespätzle are our favourites.
Also recommend David's hut and over in Hochgurgl hotels Riml and Angerer Alm.
All the menus are multilingual anyway, I've never found any trick translations of 'pickled tripe '.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reindeer is good, only place I've ever had it is Austria.

In one restaurant there was a dessert called 'heisse leibe'. Not sure quite what it was.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KateF wrote:

In one restaurant there was a dessert called 'heisse leibe'. Not sure quite what it was.

"Heisse Liebe" = Hot Love (ooer Missus) wink

Actually it's vanilla ice cream with hot raspberries, see here
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone mentioned Wienerschnitzel yet? This is THE classic Austrian dish. A real Wienerschnitzel is made from Calf, is beaten so thin that it covers the whole of the plate, is dipped in egg and breadcrumbs fried gloden brown. Yum. Always make sure its a real Winerschnitzel ( vom Kalb ) and not a pork immitation ( Schnitzel Wiener art ). Mmmh Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it is very interesting!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spätzle (egg noodle)

Often seved with meat goulash or meat dishes

KassSpätzle (with cheese)

Apple Strudel. can vary a lot in qulality and price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@muttilein,That's quite a bizarre thing to say about a thread no one has gone near since 2008!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quSte="Steilhang"]Anyone mentioned Wienerschnitzel yet? This is THE classic Austrian dish. A real Wienerschnitzel is made from Calf, is beaten so thin that it covers the whole of the plate, is dipped in egg and breadcrumbs fried gloden brown. Yum. Always make sure its a real Winerschnitzel ( vom Kalb ) and not a pork immitation ( Schnitzel Wiener art ). Mmmh Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley[/quote]

According to my Austrian contacts. Its not allowed to advertise in menus "Wienerschnitzel" if its not the orignal Kalbfleish.

Other alternatives must be advertised as " Schnitzel vom Schwein"
Or "Schnitzel nach Wierer Art" (pork)

PutenSchnitzel (Turkey)
HuhnSchnitzel (Chicken)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

According to my Austrian contacts. Its not allowed to advertise in menus "Wienerschnitzel" if its not the orignal Kalbfleish.

However we often see "Wienerschnitzel" (without the meat being specified), and "Wienerschnitzel vom Schwein" on the menu (and many people wouldn't touch it if it said "vom Kalb", despite it's authenticity).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tatman's Tours - these days more and more restaurants are using the description Schnitzel Wiener-Art - meaning it is not veal but could be pork escalope or turkey breast beaten paper-thin. The name Wienerschnitzel has protected status and it has to be veal. When the price is less than 10 Euro the chances are it is turkey or chicken, between 11 and 14 Euro most likely pork. Above 15 Euro then ask and if it ain't vom Kalb, then they are ripping you off, even if the pork or turkey is organic Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, I will take more notice in future, but I would almost swear that only yesterday I saw "Wienerschnitzel vom Schwein" on a menu in a local restaurant.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rips, anyone?

Tirolergrostl has to be the best meal on the hill. The one in the Vogelnest in Mayrhofen (using that name loosely) especially.

Anyone else a fan of Bubis in Solden?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't believe we got to the second page before Tirolergrostl was mentioned. My all time favourite mountain food. My only advice is that the small hut recipes are far, far nicer than the large cafe self service recipes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My favourite little hut has to be the Dohlennest in Axamer Lizum, anybody else been there?

Tucked away but beside the piste, just love it there.

Here . . .

http://www.axamer-lizum.at/de/winter/pistenplan.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/P3160019.JPG
snow report
@northantsred, know it well from way back when it started as an ice-bar in the late 70s early 80s if I remember correctly! On an interesting corner along the Damen-Abfahrt, it was a good place to stop for "Dutch courage" occasionally. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Dougie, you occasionally see Blutwurstgröstl (black pudding) as well which is really good. Not so sure about the Geschnittenbeuschelsuppe (choppped lung) we saw in Gastein.
snow conditions
+1 for Blutwurstgröstl
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Rauchkopfhütte at the top of the Tauernkar chairlift in Zauch does the best Blutwurstgröstl in the world! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
DB wrote:
joe1978 wrote:
You can also get a pancake soup with doesn't sound nice but is bascially a stock with strips of pancake in it. very very good!!!

Sounds like Frittatensuppe
http://www.kochecke.at/kochrezept-frittatensuppe.html

thhs one is a better recipe:
http://www.kochrezepte.at/frittatensuppe-rezept-639
latest report
@HutToHut, Never heard of either of those but quite fancy the black pudding one.
snow conditions
If you only know 1 word in German the locals will soon be talking English to you. There is rarely the French approach to language protection, instead the locals see currency!
snow report
@Piste View, not always. In Zell am See about ten years ago I ordered a meal and drinks for two all in german and the staff replied in german. They spoke english to the next table. Me having a hangover must have improved my poor german.
latest report
@Dougie, find some Blutwurstgröstl this season, very good stuff.
snow report
i used to skiing in Austria for almost 10 years and i didnt once eat something and didnt find it at least good....
dont worry
latest report
In Obergurgl the Nedderhutte ribs are fantastic and for a Fine dining Hutte try hohe mut Hutte!
snow conditions
Leberknoedel. Yum
snow conditions
Leberknoedel. Yum
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HutToHut, I have lived here for 14 years and rarely have I overheard a language barrier problem. I have an Australian friend who has 'basic' German and almost every time the conversation is switched to English. He has a thick Adelaide accent so not sure they realised what they were letting themselves in for.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy