Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A few questions about the Les Arc\Bourg area

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I am planning a short break to Bourg over Easter and I have a few questions for you lot

Driving From Geneva is it quicker to take the N90, or go with what looks like to back roads D925 -D902?

I am staying by the Funicular in Bourg and will be Funicular upto Les ARC 1600, is there a ski hire shop by the funicular? or I am better getting them in 1600?

I would like to book a half day private lesson for my 7 year old nephew, anyone recommend a good instructor\school? and what is the best area for nice easy blue runs for him to practice

And Finally

Although I am only there for 4 days I want to see a bit of the area as I am thinking about getting a place in Bourg
I am planning to ski 3 days around the Les Arc area then on my last day I wanted to do a day trip to another resort (or should I do 2 days Les Arc and 2 day trips)??

I have skied Tignes and Val D a few times so was thinking of one of the following

The VERY Famous La Rosiere
Sainte Foy
Le Plagne

What do you think (nothing to extreme as my nephew is still on blue runs)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a ski rental place near the funicular (Polaire Star) which a number of people have used. It's run by Brits and they let you store skis and boots there if you don't fancy carrying them back to your accommodation.

Take the N90, the D902 is closed in winter.

I've used New Generation (based in Vallandry) a lot for lessons an have been very impressed. I've skied with John and Ruth and they would both be ideal, although not cheap, for a privat lesson for your nephew. There's lots of cruisy blue ands reds throughout Les Arcs, especially the area above Peisey and Vallandry.

La Rosiere is very close to Bourg, and gives you the novelty of skiing into another country, although it depends on your ability level (I find the skiing in La Ros a bit dull).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Polaire Star is the hire shop at the foot of the funicular (well just over the footbridge) and it's run by ex-pat brits

http://mysnowsports.com/polairestar

but there are 2 or 3 places at the top of the funicular too

I skiied over to la rosiere from La thuile last month and really enjoyed it. I'd avoid Sainte Foy if your nephew is till on blue runs, I've not skiied there personally but as I understand it the pistes are very limited as it's mor of an off-piste destination
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christ that was quick!! Thanks for the speady responses

Rob whats the blue through the trees like above 1600 just of the mont blanc lift??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajbaldwin, lovely. Very lovely for blue cruisers. If you fancy a bit of a laugh ski into the trees on the lefthand side of the piste as you ski down it. Not too steep, trees are closely spaced so you can't pick up much speed and there's not much in the way of hazard in there (other than one small cliff which you should spot before it). You can also take the blue Belevarde (would be green in any other resort) from the top of the Cachette chair (starts near the funicular top station) and follow it all the way to Vallandry and catch one of two chairs up to the gentle plateau above that village. From there you have a nice choice of blues and gentle reds through the trees back down to Vallandry or Arc 1800.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajbaldwin, I would suggest a trip to La Plagne simply because it's probably closest (?) if you access the area from Montchavin.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the info Rob
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
ajbaldwin, I would suggest a trip to La Plagne simply because it's probably closest (?) if you access the area from Montchavin.

Quicker to get to the Escudets (sp?) chair into La Ros from Bourg than it is to get to Montchavin.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Distance table I kept (Using Microsoft Autoroute) for BSM

From to Miles
Boug St Maurice Les Arcs 0 taking funicular at Bourg St. Maurice
Boug St Maurice Ste Foy 7
Boug St Maurice Les Arcs 2000 10 May be avoided by taking funicular at BSM
Boug St Maurice La Roseries 10
Boug St Maurice La Plagne 18
Boug St Maurice Val D'lsere 18
Boug St Maurice Tigne 18
Boug St Maurice Les Menuires 32
Boug St Maurice Meribel 24
Boug St Maurice Valmorel 25
Boug St Maurice La Tania 26
Boug St Maurice St Martin De Belleville 27
Boug St Maurice Courchevel 30 May be avoided by ski from La Tania or Meribel
Boug St Maurice Val Thoren 39 May be avoided by ski from St Martin

The nearest resort by car from BSM should be La Rosiere. Its lowest chairlift station, which is at the bottom section of the road to the actual resort, is about 5 miles from BSM and there are two small car parks there. The run coming back is not always skiable but you can take the same chairlift down.

BSM is 120 miles from Generva Airport. From Albertville it is approximately 17 miles to Moutiers (for 3V) where the road has twin lane, then single carriageway to BSM, thereafter another 17 miles to Tignes/Val D. The last 17 miles are narrower, have hair pin bends (snowchain in bad weather) and take longer time than the second 17-miles.

Haven't done Ste Foy myself either but I was told their runs are not groomed and the area is for offpiste skiers only.

Valmorel, the first resort you hit when entering Tarentaise, has probably the largest and longest green slopes in France. It is a haven for green-slope and blue-slope skiers, although some of the runs may be harder than their colours suggest. It is slightly larger than La Rosiere/La Thulie combined.

There are 1600km piste in Tarenatise and BSM is right at the middle of it. Just don't go in and get out the valley on Saturday when skiers change over!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-02-08 10:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Quicker to get to the Escudets (sp?) chair into La Ros from Bourg than it is to get to Montchavin.

But I guess the end result from Montchavin is worth the extra time Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

But I guess the end result from Montchavin is worth the extra time Laughing

Of course, but why bother with the drive when you can reach the best skiing in the area by heading up the funicular Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, Excellent piece of information. Thanks for posting it Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfin

Yes it does look pretty close, or drive round a bit further to Montalbert for a start of point

Although I am swaying a bit towards La Ros just because of its fame value on here. I am sadly a bit limited as my nephew is still learning or I would try Sainte Foy for the off piste
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajbaldwin, Rather than drive round to Montalbert I would suggest a drive to Bernard C's excellent new La Roche facility with it's high sped lift directly into Aime 2000, hire shop, lift pass kiosk, cafe, level car park and I'm told some of the best Ladies Loo's (downstair's) in the area. This facility was built last year specifically with day trippers in mind to a) save the dirve all the way up the hill and b) to ease car parking in Plagne itself and of course to give Bernard an alternative to skinning up wink .

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 12-02-08 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saikee Cheers for that very helpful, I am doing a Thurs to Monday (late Flight) trip so no worries about traffic

I am suppose to be doing some research for a place around bourg, but with all the snow and possilbe destinations and only having 4 days I am a bit torn between max slope time or looking for a place.
latest report
ajbaldwin, Have you had details of the new MGM appartments opposite Lidl and near(ish) the road down to the funicular? Worth a look when your there IMHO.
ski holidays
ajbaldwin wrote:
Saikee Cheers for that very helpful, I am doing a Thurs to Monday (late Flight) trip so no worries about traffic

I am suppose to be doing some research for a place around bourg, but with all the snow and possilbe destinations and only having 4 days I am a bit torn between max slope time or looking for a place.

Difficult to ski and look for property on the same day. Do one or another would be my advice. Maybe make a return visit to the area in the summer?
latest report
Boredsurfin

I am looking more for a chalet\town house that needs renovation\fixing up a bit not a new build
snow report
ajbaldwin, Oh yes I remember now Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy