Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2h 45min from Arc1800 to Moutiers !! Is this normal ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After a great week skiing Les Arcs, we left Arc 1800 last saturday 9nd Feb at 10h15m. It took us almost 3 hours to reach the big tunnel before Moutiers. Puzzled

After that, there was no additional delays in the drive to Geneva airport, but we got there 20 minutes after check-in closure and missed the flight. Sad

As this was my first time to the Tarentaise, my question is: is this normal ? if so, what's the best time to leave ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carlos_L, were you driving yourselves? If so, use the back road wink

Tour bus has no choice and that main road can be dire rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's Saturday traffic in the middle of February. It normally takes me 2hr45min to get to Geneva from Arc 1800 at other times. If you can arrange your transfer day to Sunday it would be better, or any other day of the week for preference. If that's not possible leave much earlier than 10.15am (preferably), or much later.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess it's pretty normal, a very busy weekend before 1/2 term

Personally I'd leave at 17:00 after a full day on the slopes and drive off the hill and find somewhere to crash (though hopefull not literally) on the way home...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Carlos_L,
Quote:

is this normal ?

Yes
Quote:

what's the best time to leave ?

Earlier than that wink

(Actually, to miss the queues from Bourg St Maurice to Moutiers on a Saturday, you probably need to leave at about 8 (is that about correct BernardC?))
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, if the traffic is bad I think the local police try to stop people using the back road. Even if you can use the back road it's still very slow as you have to join the main road just past Aime (unless there's another back road that I'm not aware of which goes all the way to Moutiers?).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, no I think you have to re-join as you say (and I'm sure your local knowledge is far superior to mine wink ) but I have found that way to be (apparently - no direct comparison obviously) quicker on several occasions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Carlos_L,

That is what you expect during a French Mid term break on leaving Saturday at 10am. You might be able to cut it down to 20 minutes if starting earlier than, say 8:30am for the 17 to 20 miles journey.

Sorry to hear you missed the flight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
You might be able to cut it down to 20 minutes ...

20 minutes from Arc 1800 to Moutiers? That's simply impossible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda wrote:
Carlos_L, were you driving yourselves? If so, use the back road wink

Tour bus has no choice and that main road can be dire rolling eyes

Yoda, yes we're driving a hired car. Is this back road a road running in the left along the way between Bourg and Aime ? Could we save a lot of time using it ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Similar week, few years ago saw us have a 7hr Tignes to Lyon transfer. Holiday week to the Tarentasie would ALWAYS see us do Sunday transfers (to La Ros of course)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Carlos_L wrote:
Yoda, yes we're driving a hired car. Is this back road a road running in the left along the way between Bourg and Aime ? Could we save a lot of time using it ?

Not a huge amount of time as the bottleneck is around Moutiers. The back road only goes as far as Aime - approximately half way between Bourg St Maurice and Moutiers (and therefore still the wrong side of the bottleneck). The only way to avoid the traffic jam is to leave very early or late. The Tourist Office in Les Arcs provides forecats for peak traffic volume on transfer days, so a quick check before you leave shouls tell you when the best time is to leave.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar,

Never drive down from Les Arcs 1800 myself but BSM to Moutiers (or to the section with dual carriageway) is about 17 miles. I guess the section from Les Arcs will take time as I got a friend who skid his car off road and dropped 50 ft. When he went back to check the vehicle he found it was one of the three lying there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, 20 minutes from Arc 1800 to Bourg, 15 minutes if the traffic is clear and you put your foot down. It's about 50 minutes from Arc 1800 to Moutiers in normal traffic and normal road speeds.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carlos_L, If we do that drive, we aim to be through Moutiers by 7.30am - but these days we tend to ski all morning, have a decent, late lunch & leave about 4. But we never do it at half term - kids are beyond that fortunately
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Similar week, few years ago saw us have a 7hr Tignes to Lyon transfer. Holiday week to the Tarentasie would ALWAYS see us do Sunday transfers (to La Ros of course)

La Ros - is that a good resort?
snow report
About 15 years ago, once it took me 10 hours to drive the last 20 miles to Les Arcs on a Saturday - absolute nightmare.
snow report
Carlos_L, The back road to Aime via Macot can help but Aime also becomes a bottleneck....take the right hand side of Lake Annecy via Talloires and the back road to Geneva not the motorway this can slso save time .....on a good day.........
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
unless there's another back road that I'm not aware of which goes all the way to Moutiers?).

Yes there is another back way which brings you out just before Moutier Blush

It's only used by locals in the 'know' as it is narrow & twisty.

Details available for the price of a beer wink
snow conditions
stewart woodward, would you be talking about N...D.du..P wink
ski holidays
stewart woodward, redrunmarcus, 32 hairpin bends from Moutiers to N.D. du Pre?
snow report
Fogliettaz, not much fun in anything bigger than a mini with winter tyres............I can see the locals loving a queue of Snowheads through their village every Saturday in Feb... snowHead
ski holidays
Fogliettaz, nice looking app- I have still not skied St Foy must do it this season
ski holidays
I did in a Renault Espace after the tunnel was closed due to accident, and probably will not do it again in a hurry. The road was very busy with a lot of cars coming the other way just to make things interesting!!!
latest report
MMM i did it in an x Trail ....only once
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, i did it in summer in an awd V6 Jag ..great fun (apart from the shopping in Cocktail Scandy at the end) but I would not want to do it in winter those bends are tight enough on a dry road.
latest report
redrunmarcus wrote:
Fogliettaz, nice looking app- I have still not skied St Foy must do it this season

You must do. But it has become somewhat crowded in recent years.
snow report
boredsurfin, indeed I am not sure if the N de P road is passable in winter? It was hair raising enough in summer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
unless there's another back road that I'm not aware of which goes all the way to Moutiers?).

depends what you mean by "just past Aime", you can get to Pombliere which is just on the outskirts of Moutiers. There is a method to get around the police roadblock.
ski holidays
I must look at the map more carefully, although happily these days I don't do that trip on busy days so I don't get stuck in transfer traffic. Would love to know what the method is for getting past the police. Does it involve the risk of being shot at...?
snow report
rob@rar, or folded notes ? Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I'd rather be shot at! I wonder if evidence of being a local taxpayer is sufficient proof of being a "local"?
snow report
rob@rar, I suspect it would be down to the accent Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, you mean they stop if if you sound Welsh. Hardly fair!
snow conditions
Based on my experience - yes that's a normal time.

Last few times in Vallandry we have left by 6am and never had to queue wink
latest report
Thank you all for your answers.
Now it's clear to me it was a big mistake to leave at that time.

By the way, do you know if there's a similar bottleneck for the 3 Vallees resorts ?
latest report
Carlos_L,

If there is any bottlenecks in 3V then it could only be the mountain road from the resort to the valley floor at Moutiers (equivalent from Les Arcs 1800 to BSM). Cars don't do stop and go in dual carriageway. The traffic dispersion at Albertille area may be slow though.

I haven't bottom this out but the traffic jam between Moutiers and BSM is not accident-related as far as I am aware. It is just the way people drive when there is a convoy. The road is absolutely fine on any other day but there is always a stream of day visitors coming into the valley every day in the morning and going out after the resort closing time.
snow conditions
saikee wrote:
I haven't bottom this out but the traffic jam between Moutiers and BSM is not accident-related as far as I am aware. It is just the way people drive when there is a convoy. The road is absolutely fine on any other day.

It's just volume of traffic. Moutiers is the final bottleneck on the road down the Tarentaise and can't cope with peak traffic flow on the busiest days of the year. Easiest way to avoid the Saturday traffic is to travel on another day of the week if you can, but if not leave your resort very early or late.
latest report
Take the train, or ski elsewhere. The roads clearly can't cope. That whole area of France is becoming a choked disaster.

When I first skied Val, Les Arcs, Tignes etc. from the late 1960s it wasn't the megalopolis it's turned into. It's like some sort of transplanted urban nightmare. I think it was pistehors who reported amazing levels of air pollution in Tignes due to ski buses.

Too much greed, development, and lack of concern for people down the valley who have to suffer this air poison and noise.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
It's like some sort of transplanted urban nightmare.

No it's not. Take a look at some of the photos in the relevant snow report threads (because you haven't skied there for some time so have no basis for making that claim) to see just how unlike an urban nightmare it is. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy