Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort (France) mid-March?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. What a great forum this is!!! Go easy one me.
We're a thirty-something couple with two kids aged 8 and 5. We have both skied before but this will be the first time in ages we won't have had the kids with us. Ideally we would like a chalet so we can meet other people and not be boring old farts in an apartment. We have flights to Chambery on 15th March returning on 22nd, and would like transfers included if possible, although we would consider driving if the transfer is short.
As we have skied in Les Arcs already this year, we'd like something different to the usual big French places.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guvnor, sorry? I don't understand.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
654321 La Rosiere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
M&M, Apologies - was posted in reference to one of our regular posters...

Chambery will give you easy access to the 3 Valleys or the Tarantaise regions (amongst others) - so that covers most of the usual, big places you don't wish to visit....in the Tarentaise, the 'smaller' resorts would be Sainte Foy or La Rosiere - both have an abundance of catered chalets through any number of tour operators or privately run. Both of these are going to take about 1.5 hours from Chambery if you drive

I'll PM you an alternative for something a bit different wink

Edit:- At least I would PM you, but apparently you don't exist Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi M&M, Welcome to SnowHeads!

Valmorel is a nice little resort in the Tarentaise which often gets overlooked in favour of its larger neighbours such as the 3 Valleys. Would be fairly handy to get there from Chambery.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice small places:

Valloire
Valmorel
Chamrousse
Villard de Lans
Sept Laux
Alpe du Grand Serre (hmmmm - possibly a bit TOO small, that one Laughing )
Alpe d'Huez's satellite villages - Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
M&M, we have availbility for the dates you want in chalet Le Mouflon, La Rosiere 1850, for details have a look at our website where you'll see some of the comments by fellow snowheads. La Rosiere is very definately different to the mega French resorts, it's across the valley form Arc 2000 with sunny south-facing slopes and linked to La Thuile in Italy on a single great value lift pass.
Our usual transfers are on Sunday but we could arrange a transfer for you from Chambery. Contact details are listed on our website.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
M & M,
Just been to Val Cenis & was most impressed; very friendly place, very good value, seemed to be plenty of levels of skiing ( although I am a beginer so may be not best placed to advise on that).......transfer is a bit of a long one ( from grenoble anyway) But i certainly will be going back. Would suggest staying in the Lanslevillard end of town as this has virtually ski in-ski out facilities & very family orientated with some lovely greens/blues just on your door step.
Goodluck
Mitch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
M&M, we're looking for something similar for the week before, so it will be interesting to see what sort of options you come up with. We won't have kids with us, so we might be looking for a bit more nightlife - the skiing comes first, though.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mitchell, how does Val Cenis do in terms of reds & blacks? How about evening entertainment for a few quiet-ish beers?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RubberBall,
There do seem to be plenty of reds but not too many blacks; although a few of the more experienced skiers in town suggested that many of the blues were as hard as the reds......................they certainly looked that way to me Shocked Have a look at the val cenis web site & there is a detailed piste map on there to give you an idea. Once you go over the top of the mountain for a view of Lac de val cenis you are actually in Italy. Some great views from high & low vantage points & some wonderfully long greens for beginners to practice on.
Beers, wine & food all very good value, even on the mountain. Several bars around to relax in the evening but very low key; so dont expect noisy apres ski. Again, highly recommend this place ( oh, plus ski pass is only approx €130 for 6 days, which I think is good as well)
Any more questions, please ask wink
Mitch
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for your suggestions. La Rosiere and Val Cenis sound like good options. Does anyone have david@traxvax's email address as it seems to be missing from his post, and I don't know how to contact him?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
M&M,
The one thing ( or two) that seems 'iffy' about La Rosiere are that it has south facing slopes ( sunny + March/April = potential slushy) & have 'read' it can be subject to quite a lot of high wind!!
Saying that, it is on my 'to visit' list in the future.
Good luck
Mitch
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mitchell,

Yes, that is what I found when I went to La Ros last March. Stacks of snow, stunning views, very un-French prices, wonderfully empty pistes, but very windy and pure slush from 2pm onwards. By coincidence I booked Val Cenis today for 8th March in the hope that it's north facing slopes will be better (just hope they get a bit more snow before I go).
ski holidays
M&M, you can contact me on info@tracksvacations.com or call, all the details are on our website.
snow report
truffaut, did you not try the north facing slopes of the domain Puzzled
latest report
Frosty,

I'm still at the ski school stage so while our more advanced morning group was doing black runs on north facing slopes in La Thuile, afternoons were spent strictly in La Ros, either in the slush or messing around off piste (which I didn't enjoy). Being a slower group there was no question of them being able to get over to Italy and back and still leave enough time for skiing.
snow report
truffaut, point taken snowHead
snow conditions
I think we've decided on La Plagne as we've found a really good offer.
ski holidays
M&M, but La Plagne is one of the "usual big French places" wink Still, if they've made you an offer......

I've only skied 2 days at La Ros/La Thuile but we found some good off-piste there. There does appear to be potential for getting stuck in Italy if the lifts close due to high winds, but I have no idea how many folk might have been caught out by this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy