Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So what is an Expert?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman, So I suffer from tunnel-vision Toofy Grin ...... but, yes , folks at the 'pinnacle' of their sport are the only experts was my real point ... Glenn Plake definitely gets the 'Hair Colo(u)ring expertise' award wink
latest report
 monster77
monster77
My deffinition of an expert

Ex = has been. Spurt= a drip under pressure

Therefore an expert is....... an old washed-up drip. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the broader sense (excluding that word recreational) I don't think it is worth trying to define. All skiers gradually aquire expertise. Someone who to a beginner is an expert might not be to me, and someone who is an expert to me might not be to a World Cup racer or a top extreme skier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bet all of our skis fall under expert in that wee scale the ski shops are so fond of.

Therefore we are all experts Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This essence of this discussion is the same as we've had many times before on here. It divides into those who say I don't like to call myself an expert but I'm a lot better than you so you're definitely not an expert and those who say I'm better than average so surely I'm no longer a mere intermediate, those trying to grade levels of skiers in a sensible way satisfying the natural human urge to be heirarchical and those who feel they're above such prosaicism.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So if the only experts are the likes of Plake, Morrison etc does that make everyone apart from beginners intermediates?

If so it's a pretty crowded grouping!

I've heard/seen people splitting the intermediate category into two or more groups with advanced as another category before expert - not sure if this is generally accepted though but I prefer it to just having the three, beginner/intermediate/expert, categories.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, Yes, in terms of recreational skiing that is very widely used. Here are the SCGB definitions.

I also found This interesting - the French grading of off piste slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, Good info. I love this line:
Quote:
Danger 3: Falling is no longer permitted
As in it will probably be your last. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, agreed - I would like to consider myself Advanced. don't think I stand a chance of ever being Expert.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, yes I think the SCGB definitions are actually quite useful but it doesn't seem they're that widely used.

Love the Abominal category, "insanely difficult" Madeye-Smiley

stoatsbrother, yup - you very accurately read between the lines of my post above Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So we all agree, there's different levels of Expert, some are more Expert than others. I look at the Extreme ski videos and WC racing on tv and I think to myself, I'm still a beginner.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, I liked that category too Toofy Grin

So we have: Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced - Expert - Insane Expert
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, what about "Insane Beginner", "Insane Intermediate", etc... ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Are you calling me mad?

If so expect a call from my mates at Haddaway and Shite wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Spyderman, what about "Insane Beginner", "Insane Intermediate", etc... ?

Where does "most dangerous man on the mountain" fall in that list?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy