Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So what is an Expert?

bloxy
bloxy
This really arises from a thread in the Equipment forum.

Fox reckons:

"Expert: someone who thinks they know it all. Will only give answers, never ask questions.
Intermediate: someone who knows they don't know it all, will ask questions and give answers."

So thought I better as a question and quick Happy

But I really mean in a skiing sense, I think this definition is close :

"Expert Skiing
Expert skiing means being adept at handling varied terrain and different snow conditions on marked trails. The terrain may include steeps, trees, and moguls, or a combination of the three on black or double-black runs. Snow conditions might include hard pack, ice, crud, or powder, as well as groomed or un-groomed snow.

Expert skiing requires that you make quick adjustments to your speed, turn radius, and balance to maintain control at all times. The challenge for the expert skier is to ski all the terrain in the descent of the mountain.

The essence of expert skiing is to be able to comfortably handle a run with a 40-degree pitch containing dense trees or tight moguls on un-groomed snow when there is no way out on either side." (http://www.chiff.com/a/ski-expert.htm)"

As it is an American definition it refers to marked trails(meaning within the ski area boundary in American terms) so I would extend it to be any and all terrain, Backcountry (in American terms) and off piste(in European terms).

How about a simpler definition? You don't even think its' a blue, red, black or off piste; it's just a slope and you ski it in style no matter the conditions or the terrain.

So what 's your definition?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmm, "the ability to pull a switch 3 off a 20ft cliff.." yeah, that about sums it up for me...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An expert is some one who knows what the right questions are to ask Toofy Grin

Is it as simple as someone who can adjust to any terrain adn maintain their perfect techniqe while skiing any terrain.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Able to ski any snow conditions (including breakable crust) and any slope, up to 45º (and steeper for very short pitches) with style, fluently and at a good speed. I think I'd call that my definition of an expert recreational skier.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 10-02-08 20:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is an expert:

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone with over 10,000 posts Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Anyone with over 10,000 posts Toofy Grin

I'd better re-register Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nah, he's just a poser modelling ski gear. He can't even get down a blue run.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
X - an unknown quantity. Spurt - a drip under pressure.
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
the_doc wrote:
hmm, "the ability to pull a switch 3 off a 20ft cliff.." yeah, that about sums it up for me...

Sorry no understand the lingo.

Why would you want to turn on three pull cord light switches whist hanging off a 20ft cliff, do you ski in the dark, do you test outdoor electrical installations? Who installed the switches on the cliff and why? You raise so many questions unrelated to skiing.
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
plectrum wrote:
This is an expert:

Is that Nik Fellows?
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
snowball wrote:
Able to ski any snow conditions (including breakable crust) and any slope, up to 45º (and steeper for very short pitches) with style, fluently and at a good speed. I think I'd call that my definition of an expert recreational skier.

I'd go with that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum, OMG the 80's were soooo cool.... Cool

How about this - an Expert gets paid - or could do if they wanted. everyone else.... 'punter' then at the very bottom... 'rabbit'? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Expert: Can turn both ways.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The original poster's definition sounds like what us Europeans (and I include Brits in that) would call an "advanced intermediate". Snowball's definition sounds closer to the mark - although we're talking about an expert all mountain skier.

I would also suggest an expert has some understanding of the skill and the environment.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
An expert is somebody who skis all day and drinks all night and still gets up for the first ski bus !
snow report
A Ski Expert can get lost up his/her own back bottom without even thinking about it Wink
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Expert: Can turn both ways.

As in "Country and Western"?
latest report
PhillipStanton, We got both types of music "Country and Western" Laughing
snow report
Lots of possible definitions. You could say it's possible to count as an expert if you can do one thing pretty well eg expert off-piste but unable to leave clean tracks with iron-clad consistency on a blue much less a red, or 140 FIS points but can't do a switch 360, or can do a switch misty flip 900 but can't do breakable crust. Personally I'm happy to regard freestyle and slopestyle as niches, but think that a rounded piste and off-piste ability are pre-requisites.
snow report
An expert does not need to be told how good they are or what they are meant to be able to do, they just do it!
snow report
Since I was the cause of this thread Laughing, I think I'll add a note or three. My original comment was about "experts" on internet forums.

For me, an expert skier is one who skis the run I just found difficult, and makes it look effortless. They look like water flowing down the mountain, rather than the rock slide that I am.
I think an expert will be an expert in one very particular area, so it could be Expert downhiller, Expert GS skier, Expert Slalom skier, Expert mogul skier, Expert tree skier, Expert powder skier, Expert park skier, etc
It could be argued that an expert is someone with current relevant qualifications that back up their skills.

Then again, some people consider me an expert in my line of work, so by that concept, the definition should be: "Someone who gets paid a lot of money for knowing a bit more than others, but doing a lot less."
Could that fit for skiing?
snow conditions
A good Skier is one who can glide past the "Piste Broken - Experts Only" sign on the White Lady sound in the knowledge they can reach the bottom with out either :

A) Removing their skis
B) Damaging them in any way
C) Having an Early Bath
D) Engaging in mud wrestling with a snow fence in a Peat Hag

Useful tactics include the ability to get sufficient air of the bumps to clear any breaks, and knowing which bits of grass combine the two required characteristics of being both rock free and having running water on top. snowHead

An expert will be able to throw in at least a 720 while clearing the exposed mountain stream, ski the narrowest bits switch and do a rail slide on the Funicular*. Toofy Grin

(Health Warning - this might result in death, it will definitely result in a life time ban from the uplift!)
snow report
The guy in the photo above is obviously an expert because a) his pole baskets are not sticking up in the air and b) he has a stance wider than a constipated elephant.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will notice I used the word "recreational" in my definition. (Perhaps I should even have said "English recreational"). Without that word I'd agree with Wear The Fox Hat. It's another can of worms.
However the chief reason to have a definition is when trying to make out if you are the right standard for a holiday group (or for a ski). In this context I have sometimes called myself an expert, but otherwise I certainly am nothing like (by a long way!).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Someone modest enough to say they are "alright" preferably with a gallic shrug Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_aliasskier wrote:
Someone modest enough to say they are "alright" preferably with a gallic shrug Very Happy

and only 'bother's ' to ski on blue sky days Laughing
snow conditions
Not generally one for for badges or tags but for skiing, it is useful to know what one can do so the skiing can be matched.
If there is money involved for guides or Helis, then you don't need to hear
"do you think I can ski it?" because until you are doing it, you don't know how it will be. So therefrore, you should know you have the tools ....

Once you have the type of terrain covered, then the next thing is, how fast..?? that seperates groups of skiers as quickly and definitively as whether they can ski it in the 1st place.

I'll normally use 'good skier'

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-02-08 21:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bloxy wrote:
the_doc wrote:

Sorry no understand the lingo.

Why would you want to turn on three pull cord light switches whist hanging off a 20ft cliff, do you ski in the dark, do you test outdoor electrical installations? Who installed the switches on the cliff and why? You raise so many questions unrelated to skiing.

A switch 3 is a type of a freestyle jump grandpa. Get with the times... psssh.
snow report
Timmaah, and do you know what the expression 'tongue in cheek' means? rolling eyes
snow conditions
In view of the recent interets on safety-related devices it is possible

An expert is one who doesn't need a less experienced skier to tell him/her how to suck a helmet.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-02-08 15:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Timmaah, and do you know what the expression 'tongue in cheek' means? rolling eyes
Something to do with oral surgery?
ski holidays
What kind of expert is good at tongue in cheek Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm afraid we aren't allowed to put in links of that variety, Ordhan.
ski holidays
an "expert" is someone who can adapt to variations in snow, terrain and equipment with ease and grace, knows they have a lot to learn and is humble about their own abilities.

An "advanced" skier looks good on most pistes but can come unstuck in ice, moguls steeps etc...
ski holidays
Could the word "expert" can be interpretated in many ways.

Resorts owners like to treat their visitors as experts because many piste runs have a sign at the top saying "For experts only". That makes me thing may be the resorts owners don't really care about the details we are discussing here. If people can ski those runs repeatedly would this make them the experts to eyes of the resort owner or is it another case of "loss in translation"?
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
Timmaah wrote:

A switch 3 is a type of a freestyle jump grandpa. Get with the times... psssh.

And what does that have to do with skiing sonny boy. Isn't Freestyle is for children who are waiting to grow into their oversized trousers so they can go and do some proper skiing? Tut.. kids today! wink
snow report
> So what is an Expert?

Someone with more than 500 posts on an internet forum Very Happy
latest report
Only 'WC' and 'ex-WC' skiers are experts .. the rest of us exist in various states of (in)ability striving to attain or maintain standards set by our own personas.

Does it matter ?
snow conditions
Agenterre,
Quote:
Only 'WC' and 'ex-WC' skiers are experts

What about the likes of Seth Morrison, Doug Combes, Patrick Vallencant, Silvain Saudan, Glen Plake? None of them were WC skiers, but they're certainly 'Experts'
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy