Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite fun drills?

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, the basketball sounds a really a good one, although most of them are new ideas for me. It might be worth adding some of the choice ones from the BASI list of drills? It would be good to have drills for more advanced skiers as well as novices.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, my well has run dry of creative drills i have come up with.. The basi manual ones arent too interesting really, but the canadian manual has a few good ones, I will dig them out and post...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, OK, my CSIA manuals never turned up, although they didn't take any money from my credit card so not a problem. I wouldn;t mind a quick look at yours to see if I should make a further effort to get the Canadian manual.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another drill: John Wayne skiing - skiers ski with their legs as close together as possible which is graded a 1 on the John wayne scale, then they ski with their legs as wide apart as possible (imagining they are on a horse a la John Wayne) which is graded a 10 (or they are encouraged to go wider to get a 10). Instructor then asks them to ski at different numbers to extend the range of leg width that they can ski with. Good exercise to use in pairs where they can grade each other.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lava Rocks - pretend they are skiing over hot rocks and they keep cool by lifting the inner ski

Picking strawberries, petting kittens - girl variation of the swooping eagle (interestingly the CSIA manual says to "reach on the dowhill side to pick the strawberry while turning")

making bow ties - on the flat have the student get light on on foot and rotate about the centre of the foot to make bow tie shapes in the snow

Crayons - Imagine the skis are crayons and if you pick up the little toe and roll the ankle you can make light lines, if you hold the ski flat on the snow you make heavy lines in the snow.

Ski like a ... - snake, bunny rabbit, eagle, etc....

Slow race - who can be the last down by making lots of turns but no stopping allowed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
Lava Rocks - pretend they are skiing over hot rocks and they keep cool by lifting the inner ski

Sweet, I like that one. Appropros of nothing, I once partially melted the soles of a pair of boots when walking on fresh lava.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, No problem .. Thanks

FWIW .. my favourites as an Advancing Beginner who didnt start skiing until he was 50.

Easiski's ''Falling Leaf' ... ie moving on and off an edge . I was first taught is in the traverse , but practice it now on hard-snow reds and blacks ( not when others are close) ... keeps reminding me of the importance of my edges.

'Traffic Lights' ... taught me as a balance issue by the same lady , but it has a new name ... Green is forward over your skis, Orange neutral .... Red 'sitting back' . A few turns alternating reminds me where I should be . Takes two to call it properly.

Parallel skiing .. 2 folks together skiing in tandem, with one calling the turns ... better than counting or music for short turns imho . You have to concentrate hard or wipe out if you're wrong ........ you soon get the the rhythm

One- Legged skiing --- 'cos I can not do it Embarassed let alone in the carve
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, falling leaf is a good one, nay, a great one, for edge control. I'll do a few when warming up in the morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, we saw some very young children with hoola hoops, using them like steering wheels - they looked like they were having a great time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I'm guilty of contributing to any "right or wrong" postulates then please accept my apologies. IMHO there is very little that you can do on skis that is "wrong" - in the sense that somewhere sometime you will find yourself recovering from an impossible situation and doing whatever it takes to get back Laughing. Racers are always "pushing the boundaries" of "established technique" or there would be no progression? However as rob@rar says there are "core techniques". "Drills" should be done with clarity as to what is a "core technique" vs. what is the purpose of the "drill" if there is possibility of confusion.

ahem, eg don't "steer" with your "steering wheels" maybe ?

apropos of the topic, for advanced skiers reul christies give the chance for a bit of fun and posing. Also short swings done on the uphill ski are always a good laugh wink or maybe short swings on downhill ski but with the skier going (backwards) uphill rather than down Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I first started skiing I was told to "imagine pressing a light switch on with your big toe" to initiate turning,it moved me along in my skiing at that time really well and its still in my head when I'm somewhere steep, perhaps icy and a little unnerving.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

So would you honestly suggest I do the wrong things to improve my skiing

As rob says, just moving around a lot more readily can be very helpful. easiski had us hopping a lot on the tails of our skis, lifting the tips, which you can only do if your weight is way too far back. But then reversing it - because sometimes, as she said, you just find yourself on the back, and a swift recovery is then called for. Adult learners, in particular, can be horribly immobile. Just try asking someone to pick up a glove from the ground as they ski gently past.... I think it's because active kids fling themselves into all kind of unsuitable positions, doing all sorts of daft things ( lots of them "wrong") that they get so good at it, and their balance becomes very dynamic.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, Last summer myself and fellow classmates mutinied when our instructor told us to take one ski off. We did try it for a few turns and then said "bu**er this for a game of soldiers, we are not doing it!" Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue, Way to go Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ickabodblue wrote:
He also loves playing "what's the time Mr Wolf" but don't think that could be described as a drill.

What's that ?
latest report
david@mediacopy, Just like the kids game except with skis on. Child asks "what's the time Mr Wolf?" you reply with a random time i.e 2 o'clock, half past three etc. Do that a few times and then when you think they are not expecting it shout "dinner time" and then chase them down the slope. They have to get into the "den" or lift queue before you catch them. Great fun!!
snow report
ickabodblue, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ickabodblue, nice one Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy