Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys - Local Lift pass or Whole Area?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to La Tania on the 15th March for a week...

Trying to get everything sorted before i go, so that when i arrive i just need to strap on my skis and off i go.

Can't decide whether to plump for the Local lift pass (Courchevel area and La Tania) for 168 euros or to pay the extra 40 euros and get the whole 3 Valleys lift pass.

I'm not the kind of mileage hungry skier that won't ski the same piste twice, so that is not a major problem.

On the piste map, the Courchevel area itself looks pretty large - am i right in thinking that there will plenty of slopes here to keep intermediates happy for 6 days?

Or will i e missing out by not getting to ski the Meribel area or Val Thornens area?

I was thinking of getting the 20 euro one day upgrade and taking one day out to ski across to Val Thorens for lunch and then back again.

Last question... lift pass queues... are they huge on a Sunday morning at 8:30am? Or should we pre-buy on the internet?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-02-08 21:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've often just gone for the Courchevel-only pass. Lots of terrain available to keep you happy for at least a week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buy on the internet, they send the passes to you at home and you just rock up to the lift..

plenty of skiing in courchevel for a week.. upgrade on the day you fancy a tour...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Three Valleys extension is now €21.50 per day. 6-day pass difference is €42 between Courchevel and 3V. If you're likely to visit the other valleys more than once then go 3V pass. Bare in mind the Meribel Valley is a lot sunnier in late afternoon (although the sun is higher now and the lifts are open an extra half hour now). 3V also gives you a day at Killy or Paradiski if you want - other options and family pass details etc here: http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/passes.htm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kkev, Are you sure you can get a day at Killy/Paradiski on a 3V ski pass this year? Haven't seen anything this year offering this option. Does anyone know please?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Def not Paradiski. There is no such thing this year, even if you are stopping in La Plagne or Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Villz, Kel, Oops, think I'm wrong about this, sorry.

I know there was going to be a thing called the XXL pass and a €10 charge for skiing another area but then this was scrapped. I thought it was going back to the original free day with a 6 day or more 3V pass - lift company web sites do not mention this though. Will pop in the office and find out today.

Quote:
From Merinet.com updated on 5/12/07

If you’re a regular visitor to the resorts of the Tarentaise then you may already know of the joint lift pass scheme that exists between a number of ski resorts in the Three Valleys, Paradiski and Espace Killy.

Courchevel, Meribel, La Plagne, La Tania, Les Arcs, Les Menuires, St Martin de Belleville, Tignes, Val Thorens and Val d’Isere are among the 12 resorts participating in the initiative, that allows anyone purchasing a 5 day pass (or longer) to spend a day skiing at any one of the other resorts. If you have wheels, then the idea is great in principle, although Pistehors.com have reported difficulty in getting reciprocal passes if people do not have their original lift pass receipt with them as well as their pass.

This year, the arrangement with the XXL Pass as it is known, is changing slightly and the ski away days will no longer be free. Instead a flat fee of €10 will be charged for a day ticket at each participating resort. It’s still a great way to see other resorts though but just make sure you have your proof of purchase with you.

**Update** It appears that the lift companies involved in this reciprocal agreement have decided to abandon the €10 charge and revert back to the original agreement which allows one day free skiing in one of the other areas. Season pass holders will receive two free tickets for the Espace Killy and two for the Paradiski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The lift pass office in 1850 confirmed that if you go to Val, Tignes, Les Arcs or La Plagne ticket offices they will punch a hole through your 3V (6 or more days) pass receipt (the K or P for Killy of Paradiski) and issue you with a day pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kkev, do you know what the procedure is if you have an electronic pass, do you need to bring the purchase receipt?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, Yes, the purchase receipt has the KP initials on it. Never noticed it before!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kkev wrote:
skimottaret, Yes, the purchase receipt has the KP initials on it.

KP initials?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kkev, merci, good one to know two days skiing in Val with my season pass...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in the 3V, 2 years ago, in Courchevel 1850. When we stayed in Mottaret, a few years previous, to that the 3V pass was I guess more value - i.e. being in the middle, a trip out of either side made sense, plus I was with a group of lads (fast paced, gung ho bravodo nonsense so putting in the miles was a 'necessity'). In Courchevel, I didn't feel it was so necessary... but on the basis of it being the equivalent of 2 trips and it was better value to take the 6 day pass, we went with the 6 day pass. I don't honestly think I got the value out of it. My wife and I dropped over to Meribel for a day, didn't think the slopes were really significantly better to really warrant it. Indeed we felt the pistes were busier and hence less attractive to us. (I guess because it is easy for Courchevel-ites and Val Thoren-ites to drop into the Meribel valley, so it experiences most traffic... And on another day, my friend and I put in the mileage to get over to VT while the wives had a facial or some such girly thing.

On the whole, if you are with intermediates or skiing with intermediates or wishing to 'return to base' to pick up friends who have been in lessons for the morning, then I would agree with other posts, take the local pass and upgrade if conditions look good for day trip... PLENTY to do in Courchevel. I might venture my personal opinion that Courchevel also has the 'nicer' runs (at least for this snowboarder and those that he boards with!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All - thanks for all your comments.

I've decided to go for the local pass and do the one day upgrade if it looks like a nice day and i'm up for it.

The post above nailed it on the head - some of our group are doing lessons around Courchevel, so this (combined with the extent of the courcheval terrain) means that we probably wouldn't get guaranteed usage out of the 3V pass...

Besides, i plan to make it to the EOSB one year, so have plenty of time to ski that side of the 3V!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-02-08 21:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is plenty of skiing in courcheval valley -I think about 150km. personally ive always spent at least 3 days nipping here and there even if it to ski in the sum early morning. Skiing over to Val Thorens never seems quite worth it because of the limited time you can then spend over there, but you miss out in not skiing in les menuires (often where best snow is) or going down to st martin de bellville. I also agree that the better runs are in courcheval rather than the meribel valley but there are exceptions eg off Mt Vallon. Fantastic runs in Val T. If you need to be back to meet ski school or are in ski school then prob not worth it- ski schools often have a trip over the border
snow conditions
dan100, the reds off Mount Vallon I recall were great... just needed to get there early enough before the skiers mogulled them to bits ! Toofy Grin
snow report
3V one I would say if in La Tania - from the top of the Tania lifts you can choose to go to Meribel or Courcheval,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy