Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee Braces

Poster: A snowHead
lampbus, Tell her she needs some time with a slippery customer. messing around , getting a bit hot-and-bothered; sliding in-and-out of crevasses.
may just get you a thick lip of course wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lampbus, think of skiing while doing the physio, it sure as hell motivated me. Physio isn't meant to be enjoyed anyway! Now stop being a girl!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had my arthrosopy in October, surgeon said wearing a neoprene wouldn't be a bad idea. I think that the brace contributed to the bursting of a Baker's Cyst which ruined my last day at New Year and rendered my trip to St A at end of Jan a bit pointless (walking up piste to Mooserwirt partic highlight).

I won't be wearing it again, need teardrop quad to start working (I am now abusing it properly so it behaves in March).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a CTi Edge Brace - I find it very comfortable and it gives me confidence. I got mine at Technology in Motion in Wimbledon.

I skied too soon after my ACL re-con and twisted my knee badly and my knee has never been the same since. If I could turn back time ....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cp1000, ok, makes me feel better about going on 2 bashes and not bashing snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones, I use a Bioskin hinged brace with patella stabiliser (£60 a few years ago, S&R). I know various snowHead think they're as much use as a chocolate soldier (or Naomi Campbell...), but the orthopod who diagnosed a tear in the meniscus was quite happy with me wearing one to limit further twisting and damage. Keeping the DINs down so skis snap off before too much twisting also helps. In terms of problems I find that occasionally I drag my right leg a little because of the reduced flexibility, but that's generally at low speed when turning left. Otherwise no problems and the reassurance that I'm still OK 5 years on. The other positive is the relief when you take it off at the end of the day - 2nd only to boots!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vetski, thanks Smile My OS commented that the brace ( should I get one ) MUST have a hinge. At the moment im working the muscle to build it. we re still planning on going , even if I do limited skiing. have decided atm not to get a brace but possibly consider one when we are there if it warrants. I'm hoping after surgery not to need one Shocked Good point tho about reducing DIN, better to lose a ski rather than the knee Smile

Should let you know how it was when we get back Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones, just stop when it hurts (a little - don't wait till you're in agony) and think RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression (e.g. a tubigrip when you're off the snow), Elevation. Have fun!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vetski, Thanks Very Happy

Where does Beer figure in the RICE procedure ? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, I guess it could be part of Elevation - you prop your leg up on a bar stool and your elbow on the counter! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lampbus, a guy went home from banff last week skiing on a heavily braced knee 4 months after an ACL reconstruction-complete tear. Missed last 2 months of trip.

It's not worth it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tore my acl back in February last year, but have only just had an arthroscopy to confirm. None of the standard tests including an MRI showed conclusive evidence, my doc thought it torn my meniscus, but was not meant to be! what a bummer! Anyway, im going skiing in 3 weeks and wasnt sure if i needed to get a knee brace, i have been working hard on my knee since the summer, (I spent 2 months windsurfing in Tenerife!) then i have been playing Tennis with increased intensity (unsupported) untill i had the arthroscopy 2 weeks ago.
I was looking for advice on whether i need a brace or not, i have read so many forums and websites with very different opinions and now i am just confused!
Any help is much appreciated.

Mikey
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Iv busted my knee recently via acl injury... rest rest rest until next years season for me I think?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For a good knee orthoses I always check a big database with whole orthoses in one place: http://www.deviceinformed.com/global-medical-devices-directory/rehabilitation/orthopedics-immobilization/knee-orthoses
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a ski mojo, and Martin Hannford who designs/develops/markets them, has completely shot knees and can't make a turn without it. Fitted he is off piste like a spring bunny.
I don't use mine much but on a hard long off piste day, they are brilliant at absorbing energy and giving rebound for the turns.
ski holidays
CTi Custom made one's are the dogs go-nads.
My friend wear's his for both wakeboarding and all his winter-sports, both skiing and snowboarding, without it he couldn't do any of his hobbies.

NOT cheap , but made to measure and built to last.
latest report
Nooooo. You must do the physio and excersizes... Muscle waste happens so quickly, i was told i would not be able to ski for a year after my tibial plateau reconstruction surgery... But a lot of pain and physio with a very good chap and i was on the slopes after 7 months.. But really noticed muscle waste .. I could ski but pushing my boot into the bindings was very difficult.. No need fir a knee brace and hav worked with routines to build up leg muscles so that i dont need a brace... Advice is... Talk to a good physio
snow conditions
I have totally ruptured my ACL, after tearing it badly at Hemel a couple of seasons ago. Initially it was misdiagnosed as ligament damage, but on review of the old MRI scan it was clear that it was 95% gone then, and then I polished it off falling out of my attic! The surgeon won't give advice, as such, but you can tell he really believes at my age there isn't much to be gained by having it repaired. So I have a CTi brace, and am doing lots of cycling, and will 'give it a go' at Christmas. Hopefully it will hold out, but the fear is I'll be uber-cautious to protect it, and will end up skiing worse than is normal. Gary R is right when he describes it as feeling like a dislocation. Which it is really as the 2 knee surfaces dislocate against each other without the ACL to prevent it. This happens to me about once a month doing silly things like turning around after answering a door, or missing a step. Nowadays I can sense when it is about to go and can often pull back from really giving it a twang. I think the CTi, or equivalent, is probably the best hope. I might even get a Mojo as well. I bought a place in Morzine in 2013 and have only managed about 2 weeks of skiing in total since then, so it would be good to feel that I can get out and about. The surgeon recommended not buying a season pass, or even a weekly, but just pick nice sunny days with nice snow, and relatively quiet.
snow conditions
@noggy, go to a different surgeon. Does your current one ski? how old are you?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@noggy, go to a different surgeon. Does your current one ski? how old are you?
+1

Contact Jonathon Bell on here, especially if you have private cover or can find enough to self fund.
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, it isn't quite that straightforward. Yes most definitely concentrate on the Physio and building up the muscles, bit if (like me) you are left with half a reconstructed ACL which leaves your knee not quite stable when sprinting etc (discovered that the hard way), wearing a hinged brace while skiing is necessary (and exactly what the physio told me to do).
ski holidays
@NickyJ, +1. My TPF left a stretched MCL. I have legs like footballers now but the MCL still gives pain sometimes. I am not ditching my brace anytime soon
latest report
I had my ACL repaired when I was 55. I had been wearing a CTi brace for several years before that as I had stretched but not ruptured several ligaments. Still wear the brace now 12 years on. I can ski blues without it but with it on its black mogul runs!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy