Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going here on saturday 16th Feb (next week) with my family.

I'd consider myself an advanced skier (on piste anyway) and I'm a bit concerned that this resort will be a bit tame/boring.

One good thing is that the resort is very high so snow shouldn't be scarce.

Also, is this week (16th-23rd) the English schools half-term holiday? If so, is the mountain likely to be mobbed?

Anyone tell me much about Obergurgl or give me any tips, such as ski hire/places to avoid etc?

Cheers Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fergus, well done for researching your family holiday so well in advance. wink

The mountain won't be mobbed as there are a limited number of beds in the resort and most people can't be bothered to drive past Solden and further up the valley.

Try using the search function at the top of the page under the snowy mountain and you'll find loads already posted.

I spend most of my winter skiing off piste in Verbier, yet still cherish a week in Obergurgl at Christmas. There's nothing terribly gnarly there, but it's a stunning resort with some very good skiing, which i guess is why you booked it for your family holiday in the first place.

All the ski hire shops are excellent and the entire resort reeks of quality, relax, chill and go to the Nederhutte!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Sparks, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fergus, Very popular with the Germans
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't ski it but I really like Obergurgl when I saw it in mid Jan this year. I made a deliberate attempt to check out Solden and Obergurgl when I changed hotel from Zillertal Valley to do a second week in Silvretta. I went to pick up a few piste maps. I shall definitely come back to do this valley.

Starting at 1930 Obergurgl will not be short of snow. The piste map shows a few interesting blacks and you can of course get whatever challenge available in Solden but I don't know how good the local buses are.

I agree with other posters that Obergurgl is too far in the deep end of the valley and does not have a huge accommodation to flood the resort. The parking facilities there are nowhere as plentiful as other Austrian skiing resorts prompting me to believe that it cannot be crowded. Solden will be a different story though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Overall Obergurgl is such a lovely place, I wouldn't worry about the lack of challenging pistes. The apres ski is so good that it's a hard slog to hit the piste after lunch any way!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a few short blacks and the red down to untergurgl through the trees is fun, (there is a big car park there now for day visitors). However the piste skiinhg is not that interesting however try to see if the ski school is doing any off piste stuff, as i did some excellent lessons here a few years ago, and we went all over the place. Boring it was not! challenging it was! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, thanks guys.

Steve Sparks, don't worry, I didn't book the holiday. I'm 17 so the choice of resort was the parents'.

I'm thinking of having some off-piste lessons possibly but I'll see how it goes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was there start of January
Off piste was a bit limited but there has been more snow since then
Piste skiings my thing anyway
For about 10 euro you can have a day in Solden added to your Obergurgl pass and there is a regular bus service
There are not a lot of black runs but the black from the new top star restaurant in Hockgurgl is steep at the start and run 4 in Obergurgl can be fun from half way down !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
looking at this resort for next year but the wife isn't exactly fond of the germans, can anyone advise what the mix of emglish / other nationalities is?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freezywater, don't worry about the Germans, hostilities ceased in 1945! Besides, they will be outnumbered by the Dutch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i know but she finds them rude, now the dutch are OK, make us Brits look amateurish when it comes to drinking Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus, Opps! Embarassed

Don't you know you're off the snowhead demographic, only us bald middle aged ones around here.

In that case my original advice stands, but add in go to the Josel Kellar in the evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy