Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some pics from Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Needing a long weekend skiing in January (well it was my birthday) we booked two flights from Luton to Turin, took the advice of some snowHeads and decided on Serre Chevalier, somewhere we'd never been before. We knew from the webcams and snow reports that there'd been some serious dumping, and as we drove up from Turin and through Montgenevre, we could see how much snow had fallen. Happy was an understatement Very Happy It was dark by the time we arrived in Le Monetier, but the snow was piled up high along the roads, and sitting deep on the roofs - very pretty.

We were well chuffed when Chris, snowHead and resident of said place, offered to ski with us on our first day to show us around the huge area. We met Chris at quarter to nine on a bluebird day and went skiing. The snow was beautiful, it squeaked and there was lots of it, and the sun shone all day. Chris took us all round the place, in and out of the trees, on and off piste, which was lovely, but not the powder of the previous few days.

This is looking down at the valley, from somewhere I can't remember.

and Chris and JohnQ when we stopped for lunch - it was warm enough to eat outside.

The wind picked up in the afternoon, but only up high on the ridges and a few lifts were shut because of that. Getting off a couple of chairs the wind was fierce and blowing the snow uphill and into our faces - it felt like the only time we'd skied in Scotland many years ago, when it was hard to move forward against the force of the wind. As soon as we got down just a bit, the wind died down again. We had a quite scary couple of minutes in a gondola where we were being swung around quite a bit, and just as we arrived at the top station, a gust caught us and the prong underneath that guides the gondola into the terminal bashed against the rails. We were happy to get out when the doors opened!

We went back to Chris and Mrs Chris at the end of the day for a drink in their lovely house, and fed their beautiful tame birds in the garden with peanuts direct from our fingers - a great experience. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The next day was just as lovely, although after a bit of a big night in the hotel bar, we were quite late getting out. It had been good fun though, so it was worth it. John and I skiied mostly round Le Monetier all day, it was Saturday and really quiet - we got a bit miffed when we saw anyone else on our runs.

So it was quite amazing that I came across a guy lying on the piste bleeding profusely from a gash above his eye. He was quite dazed and I'd had to pick up various bits of kit as I skied down to him. We then realized that a bit further down the piste, which was the red Yret, there was a little bundle of people, with some skis crossed in the snow, and a few minutes later the blood wagon arrived. What is it about empty pistes and the magnet factor rolling eyes

On Sunday we'd arranged to meet Charlotte (Easiski) at La Grave at midday, so we just bought a three hour pass and skiied round Le Monetier for a couple of hours before jumping in the car and driving over the Col de Lauteret to La Grave. On the way I took this picture of the snow that had been ploughed at the side of the road. I don't know how long those snow poles are, but it dwarfed a Range Rover in front of us.

This was driving into La Grave, taken through the windscreen.

La Grave feels like a real proper ski town, with gnarly looking mountain people walking round with harnesses. I was pretty nervous actually, hoping that the skiing wouldn't be too much for me, but we'd skied with Charlotte before and I knew she wouldn't take me anywhere I couldn't cope with, so I just ignored the butterflies! We went up the two stage lift - each 'cable car' is a connected group of five gondolas - which look like this (bad picture, it was so bright I couldn't see the screen, so just pointed the camera and clicked). The picture is actually two sets of gondolas passing each other.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stopped at the top to have a drink and enjoy the views. The little restaurant at the top was very busy serving food that looked delicious (must go back to eat there one day). The sun was shining - it was just stunning.

So we set off, into some of the best snow I've ever skied. There are lots of different routes down, but Charlotte picked our route and it was magical. We stopped often to look around and watch some skiers coming down the couloirs. The place is majestic, awesome, and the pictures just don't do it justice, but here's the best one I took of a small part of glacier.

John and Charlotte:

Here's a view of La Grave taken as we were nearing the bottom of the mountain.

When you get to the end, there's quite a long walk out and up into the town. The path is quite steep in places, and you have to kick your boots into the snow to get a toe hold. It's not easy when you're a shortarse and other people's boot steps are just too far apart to manage Blush

I was very glad my backpack had straps for carrying my skis. And here's me at the end, helmet haired, but incredibly happy. What an afternoon - we can't wait to go back.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, there's still more Very Happy

We had to be back at the airport by 1320 on Monday, so we packed and loaded the car and drove to the car park by the lifts in Le Monetier, bought another three hour ski pass (they just reprogramme your existing one in fact) and were just about the first in the non existent queue for the Bachas chair. It was another beautiful morning.

We skied the Col du Vent black,

then the lovely blues back to Bachas before a quick coffee before skiing the black Cibouit

We did the top bit on the piste, which had some quite big moguls, but the off piste down the side looked too good to resist.

And that was that - quick change in the car, back to Turin and home, smiling all the way.
Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, great report Toofy Grin

To say I'm jelous would be a great understatement wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RachelQ, nice.
"but not the powder of the previous few days". Did I get to tell you about how good the powder had been the day before you arrived? wink
It seems like a long time since your visit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chris wrote:
Did I get to tell you about how good the powder had been the day before you arrived? wink

Once or twice, Chris wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 9-02-08 20:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RachelQ, great pics, you're making me feel 'homesick' Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And so it should Helen Beaumont, it's a wonderful place to have a home. This was the view straight out of our hotel window (bit of a pain when we were trying to have a bit of a kip one evening and the bells rang from 5 - 7!). It really is a lovely village, I can see why you chose it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RachelQ, were you stopping at the Rif Blanc? Stopped there one night last year and then a couple of nights at the B&B hotel next to it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds and looks brilliant. Im rather jealous.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RachelQ, nice pics - looks like a good trip. Nells has promised to take me skiing in Italy soon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ, thanks Rachel. We're heading to la Grave next weekend, I can't wait to get back there, it's been 12 years!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice. Looks like that trip had lots of "big grin" factor.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shhh
snow report
RachelQ wrote:
And so it should Helen Beaumont, it's a wonderful place to have a home. This was the view straight out of our hotel window (bit of a pain when we were trying to have a bit of a kip one evening and the bells rang from 5 - 7!). It really is a lovely village, I can see why you chose it.

Aaah, those twice-chiming Louis XIV bells............... wink . No need for an alarm clock. Fortunately we are just far enough away from them to be a background noise. Only three weeks left. Very Happy
snow report
RachelQ, Lovely pix and great report. It was bril to see you and John and will see you again soon. Very Happy
latest report
RachelQ,
Those pics are great. Glad to hear that SerreChe is having another good season. snowHead
latest report
RachelQ, nice pics. Would love to go there Very Happy
snow report
Nice pics and TR, are they a pair of Missions strapped to your back Wink
ski holidays
RachelQ, nice pics

Looks like we'll be Serre Chevalling it next Christmas, so you've got me in the mood a little early! Still, Verbier next week and Morzine in March for me, so I won't complain!
ski holidays
RachelQ, nice report and photos. Reinforces a commitment to try to get there in March and reaquaint myself with the place.
ski holidays
Nice pics RachelQ. Excellent way to celebrate a birthday Very Happy
snow report
RachelQ, Nice to see a bit of class amongst all those gnarly La Grave dooooodes.
latest report
sigh - you've made a nice end to my day. Must get insist we come here next season - it is just not normal to miss a trip.
snow report
RachelQ, .... great reporting ..... sleuth ... Very Happy

It is an absolutely fabulous area overall and Serre Chevalier in particular ... we were very impressed last year ....

Great ... "Stylish gnarly" La Grave dooooodes' ... photo ... Toofy Grin

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy