Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Allmountain/ powder ski

Poster: A snowHead
So well, no new pisteracer this year due to unavailabilty Wink

Considering an allmountain ski, and it should get away with gentle piste skiing, but i don't expect it to handle anything remotely agressive.
The easier to turn the better Wink

Rossignol bandits are out, i hate it onpiste, feels like its run by the tails.

Skied the Salomon xwing tornado. Can have a second hand of that one, last years model, skiied around 7 days.

Other options available here that I haven't skied:
Head Monster iM 78
Stoeckli Rotor 76
Movement Spark

Maybe some others, but these I discussed in the shop downtown and are available to test.

Suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar Legends!!! (I really MUST get round to putting these on eBay. rolling eyes )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stoeckli Stormrider XL (any variant except L), should be er..., sufficient to cope with gentle piste skiing Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sparks are fantastic. I'd really recommend trying a pair if you can manage to get hold of them. Or go wider and look at the Gladiators.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 9-02-08 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ronald,

Nordica Supercharger Enforcer; 135-98-125, 19m radius @ 177
Volkl Mantra; 133-96-116, 20.3m radius @ 177
Volkl Bridge 130-92-112, 19.9m radius @ 177
Black Crow Navis; 133-103-124, 23m @ 186
Dynastar Legend Pro Rider;

The Head and Stoeckli are both under 80mm in the waist, these aren't really all mountain or powder skis. We don't stock anything under 80mm in the waist as we believe this is the minimum required to offer sufficient flotation in deep snow. I ski the Nordica Enforcer as an all-round ski, with a a bias towards off-piste/powder. At 98mm in the waist it's got plenty of float but with a fairly aggressive sidecut the turn radius of 19m means its pretty playfull on piste.

A lot of people, particularly Brits, are still put-off by 'wide' skis. It's the shape of the ski that is more important when considering it's versatility. The modern carving style of skiing doesn't require such rapid edge-to-edge changes so wider skis do not limit on-piste performance.

Go bigger!!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What loads of others are saying. Go fater. Of all the skis mentioned here I'd say the Mantras or Bridges for an all mountain. If you're spending more time off piste than on go 95mm+ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
Ronald,

The Head and Stoeckli are both under 80mm in the waist, these aren't really all mountain or powder skis.

Incorrect. These stats are taken from
http://en.stoeckli.ch/main/skis/collection/freeride/

Stormrider XXXL 122-88-111
Stormrider XXL 122-80-108

The fact that you believe that the Stoeckli Stormrider (any variant except L) is'nt an all mountain ski well suited to anything, does not change the facts. Based on your trade experience, perhaps you are suggesting that the manufacturer has made an error on their website.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowbunny I think NZK was talking about about the Stoeckli rotor 76 as mentioned by the op...[/b]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, Movement Sparks all the way. I got a pair this time last year and have never looked back. I find they handle brilliantly on pistes, and I have been skiing with mountain guides in Cham who ski on them which should be 'nuff said as far as off piste credentials go. I think the big tester for any allmountain ski is how well they handle variable/difficult off piste conditions, and I find the sparks handle this type of skiing better than any other type of ski i've tried.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like Sparks and they are ALL mountain. I like Mantras as well but haven't been on this seasons.
I haven't found the Enforcer yet but that was on my list. You need to be pretty agreesive on the above, IMV or you are just letting their best pass you by. I would say the Spark tramps through snow very well, holds on ice very well, but I would just like it to have a few more MM's in the waist.. If it could do that and be the same ski, I'd be able to take it very fast through anything. The only thing it loses to the Mantra is float in the deep stuff( knee high )...which is expected, but it is a great all round mountain ski IMO. The Mantra probably doesn't quite have the edge of the Spark...( the Spark is special here ) but just shades it for me

The X wing Fury is pretty good but doesn't suit me as well as the Mantra or Spark but if you fancy a less tuned ride, then look at the Fury

Mystic Rider..??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm tall (6'1") but not exactly overweight at >80Kg

NAKEDZOOKEEPER
over 90mm isn't stocked here, as we get a bit less snow here in Wengen as you get over in Chamonix Smile
I think none of your favourites are stocked here actually Wink

Quote:

A lot of people, particularly Brits, are still put-off by 'wide' skis. It's the shape of the ski that is more important when considering it's versatility. The modern carving style of skiing doesn't require such rapid edge-to-edge changes so wider skis do not limit on-piste performance.

Shape and flex/stiffness Wink
You can shape a ski very agressively, but if its a noodle it won't follow the radius very well, now does it Wink

Spikyhedgehog, the sparks are available for testing from the shop, so no problem testdriving them, and heard good things about them.

Don't see a lot of love for the Head monster series here Wink

From what you guys are saying so far i'd think the spark should be number 1 on the list to testdrive.

Going to supermarket and will check the shops for what more they have Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BTW... should I consider one of those touring bindings for when I'd go real crazy, or just go with normal style bindings?

Collegue just got a pair of Diamir mounted on her Sparks because she wants to go touring in March?

Drawbacks? advantages?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ronald, Head Monster 78s are a little narrow in the deep stuff and certainly ski "narrower" than my Scotts which are the same width. The M82/M88 would be better. Skied M82s and they're stiff, fast and stable all over the hill. Love em.

snowbunny, ain't the XL only ( Twisted Evil ) 74mm at the waist or have they made it wider now...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark, Actually, I can't recall that the XL has ever been 74mm at the waist Toofy Grin Anyway Stoeckli have expanded the Stormriders range considerably in recent years. I have Stormriders and they're not XL's either. Of course, in no way are they wide enough to go off piste. I wonder what width of waist ski made these tracks? Very Happy

http://picasaweb.google.com/bandit2106/ZinalDec07/photo#5143103579524236962

Then again, of course as I have er... thin skis Very Happy I could'nt possibly get to ski this, (for example)

http://picasaweb.google.com/bandit2106/SkiAnniviersJanFeb08/photo#5163212178780810258

I have some Monster 77's as my "cooking" piste skis. They are reasonably agile on itineraries
as JT can testify.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a pair of Stormrider XL Offroad's 184cm and they're 75mm underfoot, Kitty has a pair @ 164cm and they're 75mm also. They're fantastic and will go anywhere at any speed. Very Happy
snow report
High Society FR's - now on sale from your's truly wink

Atomic Nomad Crimson

Scott Mission/Punisher
snow report
Ronald, Mantras rock!
Completely useable on piste and simply awesome off Madeye-Smiley I'm walking around reciting Hare Krishna ever since I got mine rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
I wonder what width of waist ski made these tracks? Very Happy

I'm going to guess that would be my Stormriders Very Happy
ski holidays
ise wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
I wonder what width of waist ski made these tracks? Very Happy

I'm going to guess that would be my Stormriders Very Happy

Oh no, they would be way too thin to go off-piste Very Happy

Then again, ISTR another pair of Stormriders getting involved in making those tracks. Maybe my memory is faulty Toofy Grin
snow report
Scott Missions
ski holidays
snowbunny, oops, 1mm out Cool

No one mentioned them Icelantics yet...even kiwi1 wink
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:

Well, if you consider each ski, it's 2mm in all, and that could make a huge difference in the bottomless pow Madeye-Smiley

ise My Stormriders are fatter than your Stormriders NehNeh
latest report
snowbunny, you got me there! Laughing

Joking aside, spent a couple of years trying to find hire/test Stormriders but I've not come across 'em yet. Still on my list but I suspect very different to the Scotts. Ah, bottomless pow...3 weeks to B.C. (again)

snowHead
snow report
Seths don't seem to get much of a shout on here - I think they're a great allmountain ski. Line Prophet 90s might suit you too - quite stiff and chargey but not too OTT.
ski holidays
Stockli seem to acknowledge their XL is now too thin so have beefed up the range. I used to be such a fan but now take the Spark instead. Both rail hardpack and are good OP.... but the wider waist makes fast GS turns more stable IMV ..

Both makers make great skis, IMV

The Head 82 is supposed to be up there as a good all-rounder as is the 88. I would look at them as well.
snow conditions
Sharkymark, If you fancy testing some, then take a long weekend to a Swiss ski resort, several of them have dedicated Stoeckli hire centres, like this one:

http://en.stoeckli.ch/main/locations/engelberg/

The website used to list Test Centres as well, but I'm not seeing this option now Puzzled
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:

Icelantic Nomads in 168 Toofy Grin wink
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

Icelantic Nomads in 168 Toofy Grin wink

Icelantic Nomads in 168 or 181 Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe the powder is lighter over in BC (?) but Head Monsters, especially the iM82 are considered one of THE best all-mountain skis out there. Monsters ski very well on piste and hold their own in powder. Can't say I have any complaints. Anything much wider than that is not really much of an all-rounder is it?
ski holidays
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, You can lead a horse to water..............In time people will catch up, in the meantime let them spend their money on piste skis, it will in time add weight to your knowledgeable opinion. BTW was that you killing tourists on the piste with those 105mm underfoot skis this lunchtime. Not bad for a Superfat' ski suited only to powder or for someone only skiing for 5months! wink Laughing
latest report
uktrailmonster, I like the IM82, but add something steep and a tad of speed and they groan like my Granny. Volkl AC40 has the same/similar dimensions but alows the possibility of using the sidecut better on the piste. Volkl Bridge has to be the best allround ski on the market, weight, shape, lengths, stiffness. You said anything wider is not an allrounder? I'm puzzeled. Radius adds piste performance and as no one skis with there knees together these days, edge to edge speed is somewhat of a falicy, therefore how does a ski being narrower help it be an allrounder?
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
Maybe the powder is lighter over in BC (?) but Head Monsters, especially the iM82 are considered one of THE best all-mountain skis out there. Monsters ski very well on piste and hold their own in powder. Can't say I have any complaints. Anything much wider than that is not really much of an all-rounder is it?

From my experience the IM82 is very popular with instructors and racers etc in Canada. The most popular ski among the general (non tourist) public seems to be the old Volkl Explosiv.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
but add something steep and a tad of speed and they groan like my Granny. Volkl AC40 has the same/similar dimensions but alows the possibility of using the sidecut better on the piste. Volkl Bridge has to be the best allround ski on the market, weight, shape, lengths, stiffness. You said anything wider is not an allrounder? I'm puzzeled. Radius adds piste performance and as no one skis with there knees together these days, edge to edge speed is somewhat of a falicy, therefore how does a ski being narrower help it be an allrounder?

I guess I haven't been fast or steep enough yet?
I like Volkl skis a lot, but AC40s are not good at all in bumps. I find the iM82s a bit more versatile.
Fat skis are heavier skis and less stiff torsionally, it's not just the edge-to-edge speed that makes them feel unresponsive on piste. I grew up on slalom and GS race skis and still get a kick out of such skis now, although they're not allrounders either. They don't seem to be getting much wider either.
I don't have a problem with wider skis for use in deep powder, but on piste they don't do anything for me at all.
snow report
fatbob, the RCR in Fernie have the Monster range as their premium hire this season. I saw loads of people skiing the iM82s. I only needed the 77s for an hour or two (DaveC knows why Laughing ) and they were out of M82s so I had to take 'em...

May well hire a pair for a day this time round...
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
BTW was that you killing tourists on the piste with those 105mm underfoot skis this lunchtime. Not bad for a Superfat' ski suited only to powder or for someone only skiing for 5months! wink Laughing

Pfft - 105mm is a midfat these days Wink
ski holidays
For long carved arcs you indeed don't need quick edge-to-edge performance, and as long as the ski will cut and stay put.

If a 100mm ski does that, you (and I) can carve long arcs on it, no problem. Skidded swiss class 3-4 turns, almost any ski will do that.

However, I do more things on piste then carve long arcs. Things were the Volkl Allstar starts to jump and bounce and flap around, its too soft to hold me in really aggressive short-turn skiing on hardpack. I'd be truly suprised if any of the 80+mm skis mentioned in this topic would beat the Allstar in this specific style of skiing.

The good thing, i don't expect the ski i'm looking for to be a one ski-quiver solution for me.
snow report
uktrailmonster,

A pair of K2 Coomba vs a pair of Dobermman SL's? Guess the weight.
Torsionally? OK a pair of PRO Rider XXL vs your Monster Munch.
I love GS skis above everything else. It's February, i got kids in my teeth.

DaveC,

Anything over 111mm is a lost cause.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Yeah, whatever. You're right, everyone else is completely wrong as usual.
snow report
uktrailmonster, Not who's right, just what's right. You stated, wide skis are heavier and less stiff torsionally, i gave you two examples of this not being true. It's my job to understand these things and feel the users of SH's don't need to be mislead. Sorry if that upset you. We regularly use 100mm plus skis for the piste although by preference we would take Race skis onto the piste as they carry speed alot better. This thread was about All mountain and Powder skis, to my mind that's around 90mm underfoot with a 19m radius. Then what would i know, i sell/test skis for a living.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, just have uktrailmonster hold a pair of FIS racestock skis... or a pair of Atomic metrons with 2004 version neox mounted....

Those skis really dent your shoulder. I see no reason who a todays pair of 90mm skis should weigh more then those 2 I mentioned.

These days they can make skis that are very stiff on torsion, but fairly soft along the length... thats why these days a wide powder ski is usable for non-agressive on piste, if i'm correct Wink Gotto love progress on ski technology.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy