Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it possible to build a mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe somewhere like Dartmoor, plenty of space and already about 300 metres high. Roman Abramovich could fund a further 2000 metres and create a snow capped winter playground in the south of England. I doubt if it would make a profit but then again, nor will Chelsea.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no expert on this sort of thing but some people build them out of molehills. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You mean, like this? Definitely a black run.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB is that after they've dug themseleves into a hole?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've heard that there is a butter one and a sugar one hidden away somewhere. No sure of the costs of the lift pass but i'm they'd both slide quite well?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Often wondered why they built these. I'm told access to ready supplies of forced labour helps. I think they may have got their long range weather forecast wrong though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A verse from the bible.

Matthew 21:21
21 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig-tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.
(NIV)

I tried this last year, thinking that rather than the sea, Basingstoke would be a good place for the Hauser Kaibling to be sited. Sorry everyone, although I am a man with faith, it was clearly not enough ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
up4it, if we take an average gradient for the slopes of say 30 degrees your 2000M of extra height would give a mountain with a base approximately 7km across and require 25 cubic km of materials to produce Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, not if it were hollow?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, fill it up with hot air? We could shut the Commons down for a day, no great loss, they'd have it blown up in no time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, you do not even want to go down that route, the structure would be the most expensive construction ever produced in the world and I'm not even sure that it coulld actually work, it would probably take all the worlds structual steel production for a year or more to build the skeleton then you still need to cover it about 82 sq km of material needed there Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
.....would it be cheaper to "dig" a 2000m mountain then......excavate and put that on top??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me thinks, the idea was 2300m altitude, rather than -1700.
What temperature could we expect a mile down?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MartinH wrote:
You mean, like this? Definitely a black run.

You could presumably ski round it, rather than down it, in which case it could be anything from green (and quite long) to black (and quite short).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dan, probably as you could just let it settle under its own weight but maybe you could limit yourself to a 1000 M mountain that would require a lot less material

only be 3,5 km across and require about 3.5 cubic km of material or somewhere between 7 and 12 billion tonnes of material, we could pile up all the UK rubbish each year but that only amounts to arround 28 million tonnes per year so would take at least 500 years to build Confused
ski holidays
If the mountain will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must go to the mountain.
latest report
And there is already some snow on Mount Hebron. See David Goldsmith's topic.
snow conditions
D G Orf,
What a load of rubbish! I'm sure once you advertise, you would have people from around the world queuing up to dump their waste on your mountain. BTW, has anyone tried skiing with a gas mask or radiation suit on?
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, keep trying....one day it might just happen snowHead
latest report
D G Orf, proof of concept here.
latest report
Two proofs - definately QED Confused
snow conditions
comprex, yes very nice just 940 ft too low for me wink

Sorry Lorraine I deleted the double post Embarassed
ski holidays
D G Orf, apologies, sH is very slow for me today and I couldn't see the posts.

I do like the reverse mountain idea though, make some use of strip mines?

laundryman, Zahi Hawass says it wasn't forced labour. Secret society of Old Kingdom snowHead 's, no doubt.
snow conditions
I suppose planning permission would get in the way but I've always hoped some entreprenuer would take an existing mountain (even a modest hill would do) and cover it over somehow (snowdome style).
snow report
What I can't understand is why no one has used an existing hill and built up the slope then snowdomed it, theoretically it should be much cheaper than building a snowdome and the only limit on length/height would be the size of the hill Puzzled
snow report
Talking of waste mountains - the highest point in Hamilton County (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) is the top (what else) of Mt Rumpke - the rubbish dump!
ski holidays
D G Orf, that's what Sheffield Ski Village keep talking about doing...covering over the bit of hill next to the slope and freezing it. Although I guess that the rent charged to the shops underneath the snowdome more than compensate for the original outlay.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, as long as the slope is fairly small then I guess so but construction of a high slope would be near impossible, apart from anything else they would probably never get planning permission to build over 15-20M on a natural hill a 50M plus verticle should be possible
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There must be a disused quarry somewhere that could be utilised and would be well out of everyone's way. The side walls would have to be softened though or else it would put off beginners Very Happy
latest report
Paul Roberts, I like the idea of finding uses for disused quarries. I think the proposed snow dome in Suffolk (can't remember its name) is built in a quarry, presumably to lower the profile of a b...y great structure in the middle of the countryside!
ski holidays
D G Orf, we had a link to a new indoor snowdome under construction in new Zealand which was just that - plastered onto an existing slope to reduce construction costs. Relatively low rise structure - basically a tunnel shape. Sorry, can't find the thread......
laundryman, SnOasis into the search engine will find it.
latest report
D G Orf, Theres always Balmorel or Windsor plenty of land Im suprised bonny price Charlie hasnt thought of it Laughing
snow conditions
Russell, Lochnagar is on the Balmoral estate, so you could put a cover on that and freeze it.
ski holidays
I think the breakthrough will come when someone invents a way of significantly raising the freezing point of water or else producing a cheap inert substitute for snow. Almost any slope could then become a ski slope.

The other possibility might be to use redundant underground space such as disused slate caverns.

This wouldn't require building a new structure and would help solve humidty and insulation costs. However go too deep (more than about 500 feet) and earth temperatures start to rise. Also I don't suppose disused salt mines would be much good !
latest report
Peter S wrote:
I think the breakthrough will come when someone invents a way of significantly raising the freezing point of water or else producing a cheap inert substitute for snow.

Adding anything to a liquid depresses its freezing point, so that's out. Most liquids have a higher freezing point under increased pressure, but water's remarkably insensitive in that regard. We'd be screaming for mercy, if not crushed outright, before a significant difference could be made.

The answer is to feed heavy water (deuterium oxide) into snow cannons. It's not radioactive or poisonous, has almost identical properties to regular water (of which it makes up a fraction anyway) and has a freezing point of 3.81C, which would be a significant benefit.

The only drawback is that it takes a colossal amount of energy to concentrate it from naturally occurring water. Therefore, the best site for a plant is, as in Telemark, next to a hydroelectric plant: plenty of raw material, which can also be used to provide power. So that's convenient for ski resorts (if a big no-no for environmentalists).

Come to think of it, perhaps the Nazis at Telemark were doing nothing more sinister than extending the season in Norway. Producing heavy water is certainly a long way from making a nuclear weapon. If true, there would be a straight line from there to Iraqi formula milk factories (but that would be to resurrect another thread... wink)
snow conditions
http://www.tallington.com/dry_ski_slope.asp is my local and is built entirely from scratch.
It's on the site of a gravel quarry and the hill is mainly a result of the spoil from the quarrying ops. Over the years it has grown in height, but not recently, as more has been added to the top. If they drain the lake at the bottom of the slope then we'd gain another 50m or so of length by going below ground level.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy