Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Technique Training DVD

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've seen a few DVD's in shops that you can watch to learn some new techniques. Has anyone used these and can recommend them? If yes, can you buy them online?

I'm a confident intermeadiate and want to advance my on piste and learn the technique off piste. I have some new shiny ski boots and some ski lessons in Austria in a few weeks to help me on my way but would anyone suggest buying one of these DVD's?

Thanks
Kersh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've a couple of the Wozza Smith ones - can't say they are perfect and I resent some of the padding like the section on mountain bikes being good for cross training but they aren't bad if you get his whole biomechanic schtick.

Warning though be prepared to get the impression that your shiny new boots are too stiff for you because you can't flex down to the tip of your ski wink

Think Phil Smith does some Snoworks ones too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, reading a few posts here about people with shiny new boots, i'm expecting it to take a few days to get use to them. Oh and one important point, the last pair of boots I owned were 28.5's - I bought them off the shelf in Munich but i've always thought my feet flapped around in them. Went to CEM to sort some new boots and he measured me up and prescribed 26's. Embarassed I reckon that'll take some getting use to en all!! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Phil Smith stuff is very principles focussed - e.g. there are x ways of steering the ski - which he then goes through. There are very few exercises as such and DVD segments are reasonably long and need sitting down in front of for 10 minutes or so. If you like to know how stuff works it's good material. He has two DVDs that shamelessly cover much (70%+) of the same ground. I'd recommend the second one.

The Warren Smith DVDs are more exercise focussed and have very bite-sized segments (a couple of minutes each). He has four DVDs that broadly build on each other and it's worth reading them in order. The shorter segment length means that MrsPhillipStanton has put the Warren Smith DVDs onto her new iPod Nano and watches them over a coffee break if she wants to work on something.

Both are good products - they're just different approaches.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
I've a couple of the Wozza Smith ones........Warning though be prepared to get the impression that your shiny new boots are too stiff for you because you can't flex down to the tip of your ski wink

Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WS DVD's are worth looking at and his books aren't bad. If you have skied a bit, you'll have come across most of it but there are still one of two things that you'll want to nick.

Depending how long you have been out of the lesson game, you might need to bone up on buzz words but even with the sound off, you should see what he is doing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i have one of the WS DVD's, the third i think and i like the drills very much. but it is a pain to navigate around as the segment take a while to load.

PhillipStanton, is the 4th one finally out? any good?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
PhillipStanton, is the 4th one finally out? any good?

Hmnnn - I thought I had a copy of the fourth one, but no I don't...

...I've just ordered a copy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apart from the four WS's DVDs, there are also:

Lito's "Breakthrough on Skis I, II & III"
Harald Harb's "Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1 & 2" and "Essentials of Skiing"
Martin Heckleman's "Skitips 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5"
NASTC's "All Mountain Skiing Tactics I, II & III"
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy