Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why didn't I discover skiing earlier....

Poster: A snowHead
My first trip was with friends when I was 28. Like many others my school ran trips but skiing wasn't really on my radar as i was doing so many other sports I seemingly didn't have time for skiing. rolling eyes

Now I don't have time for the other sports as I sticking with the golf in summer which leaves winter free for skiing!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin wrote:
PhillipStanton, the odds were against me anyway - she'd skied before so got to go off doing interesting stuff while I was confined to the nursery slope. How demeaning! Just because I'd never skied before Laughing
Fortunately my enthusiasm paid off the following year when I managed to jump a group and got into the same class as her - snogged her that time Cool
I wonder what happened to her Puzzled
Maybe she's a snowHead Shocked Would anyone who thinks they might have snogged me when I was 18 please PM Admin Wink

Yvonne McGruder ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get a bit annoyed sometimes thinking about the 15 years I missed out on because the first two trips in my late 20s went badly and I decided skiing wasn't for me.

I just hope I've got enough years/money/holiday to keep going back and improving.

Mrs Jeraff unfortunately hasn't taken to it at all. She didn't come with me last year but is coming this year for the holiday but may or may not decide to take some private lessons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jeraff wrote:
Mrs Jeraff unfortunately hasn't taken to it at all. She didn't come with me last year...

there's a typo in there Giraffe, you've accidently put a U and an N in front of the word fortunately Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 8-02-08 17:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
redrunmarcus, a friend of mine who skis the steep and deep with me was 60 last year and decided to retire. He did rather a lot of skiing and ended up skiing better than me (the year before he was clearly less good and I haven't changed). You've got another 25 years to improve in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
redrunmarcus, a friend of mine who skis the steep and deep with me was 60 last year and decided to retire. He did rather a lot of skiing and ended up skiing better than me (the year before he was clearly less good and I haven't changed). You've got another 25 years to improve in (at least).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same as Agenterre, except for the Rugby (which I thought was 'middle/uppper class bollox for ponces' wink )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
Jeraff wrote:
Mrs Jeraff unfortunately hasn't taken to it at all. She didn't come with me last year...

there's a typo in there Giraffe, you've accidently put a U and an N in front of the word fortunately Toofy Grin

You know her? Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm an artist - so a ponce by definition. Skiing couldn't make it any worse, I thought.

Except now the artists think I'm poncey.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chris, LOL ... but I am Welsh wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My first trip was March 03 aged 27. This was pretty much due to all my pals getting hitched, having kids etc... so it was either go skiing or don't have a holiday. Went and was totally bitten by it. Now done 16 or 17 weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I started going skiing with the school when I was 10 (now 34) and went every year until I left school, then got my parents involved and now it's with Friends and if I'm lucky I go on the family trip as well.

I am glad I started when I did, so any parents on here, pack your kids off on the school trip!!! Although TBH, as others have said on here, just think of the fun you're going to have and the fact that you've found it now and not another 20 years time! Although by some on here, even that doesn't matter.

You're a snow sports enthusiast - that's all that matters!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
had my first skiing holiday 3 years ago, my second last year and it is 5 weeks to the day today until my third (wooHOO) I am officially obsessed and as I can only afford one holiday a year, of no more than a week, I am destined to never have a tan again, other than a small stripe over my cheeks and at the top of my forehead.

This is despite holiday 1 - a poorly chosen (ill-advised) 4 days in Chamonix. First 3 days were a white out, most lifts and pistes closed, neither me nor the man had skiied at all before other than an hour in xscape (for which you are meant to have experience and thus I lied then got thrown out when I couldn't stand up) We couldn't afford tuition so taught ourselves so days 1-3 involved nothing more than going down one small nursery slope and back up on a button lift - repeat x times. Day 4 the sun came out, up the mountain we went, found another piste (le flegere??) and went down that one repeatedly until it was time to go home. And still I thought it was the best thing in the world.

Imagine my excitement on holiday 2 - 8 days in Les Arcs, sunny every single day and fresh snow every night. Still couldn't afford lessons but being the only inexperienced skiier in a group of 8 experienced boarders I had to re-find my fearless child within and just go for it. And go for it I did on just abotu every piste Paradiski had to offer me. My technique is most likely shot to bits but I happily and safely make my way down most pistes - even the odd black or two.
I am not exactly old at 27 however I do get all angsty when I think about the times I could have had as a seasonnaire if I was 7 years or so younger. I would have absolutely loved it.

Blimey - an essay - sorry - I just clearly didn't want to work for at least 10 minutes there. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sallywt, my baptism was just as unconventional as yours - my (then 14 year old) penfriend giving me 30 minutes on a green slope to learn everything about skiing there was, before announcing that he was bored and to just come with him. Fifteen minutes later I was stood atop a mogul-y black knowing that i could only successfully turn right.

Well, call it a do-or-die situation...i stacked it 37 times on that first day, but by watching and doing, by the end of the first week i was parallel turning and was confident if a bit sloppy.

By the time i finally had my first lesson, i was five seasons into my career - and had a LOT of bad habits to iron out Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm. Went skiing a few times when I was under 20 ( more than half a lifetime ago, and half a ton ago) and loved it - then had a bad run, and bashed my face in because I thought I was MUCH better than I was. Shocked
In the interim, produced daughter (now 14) who just loved her first school trip to France last Spring is hooked and has gotten me my bug back. She's off to Italy this week with my sister, then France in March with us (our first trip abroad - yikes) and France on Ye Olde School Trip in December. I'm so jealous - all that wasted time! But good for her, and thanks to her, we're back skiing again Smile
ski holidays
Reassuring to know that there are other people in the same boat as me!

As people above have pointed out - I guess it doesn't matter when you discover skiing, just so long as you discover it at some point! Which i have (thank god).

I'm 33 now, so I guess the best way to look at it is that I could have about 30 more years of skiing ahead of me (hopefully!). I just have to try and it in as much skiing as possible and make up for the lost time!
snow report
magic_hat wrote:

I'm 33 now, so I guess the best way to look at it is that I could have about 30 more years of skiing ahead of me (hopefully!). I just have to try and it in as much skiing as possible and make up for the lost time!

More than that I hope! I'm 59 and two of my friends I ski with 60 and 61 and we haven't started to slow down yet!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Roger C wrote:
I went once with school in about 1986, to Pejo in Italy. We had a cracking time but for some strange reason the next time I skiied was in about 2000.

I went there in 1980, my second ski trip. I'd been trying to remember the name of the resort but couldn't, so thanks for reminding me Smile

Rob, we went to Passo Tonale a couple of years ago and spotted signes for Pejo and the memories of that first trip came flooding back Smile
snow report
1981 I'm working in the Londoner Ibiza in comes some bloke that Owen's the Londoner in Kitzbuel why don't you come to work there in the winter? No don't do skiing do I. Gutted 20 years later when I do go skiing Embarassed
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
and the place I wored had a ski club.

I hope that was a k you left out there rather than an h. Shocked
snow report
I started skiing when I was 12 and immediately became hooked for life. But Uni and my early career got in the way massively and I never skied for 4 or 5 years in my early 20s. I took it up again in my mid-late 20s and have been trying to make up for lost ski days ever since. I've just turned 40 now and usually manage around 30 days per year, which is ok but I'd really like to ski more.
latest report
snowball wrote:
redrunmarcus, a friend of mine who skis the steep and deep with me was 60 last year and decided to retire. He did rather a lot of skiing and ended up skiing better than me (the year before he was clearly less good and I haven't changed). You've got another 25 years to improve in.

I have a friend who is now in his mid 80s and still skiing - he started learning in his 60s when he retired from work!
snow report
i asked my parents every year if i could go on the ski trip but the answer was always no. My parents are about as sporty and active as (well lets just say sport is not really in their vocabularly) so they never felt i needed to do these things, plusi had a horse so money was a bit tight i guess.

Anyway when i met my hubby he had been skiing a few times and was keen to go again so i gave it a shot and enjoyed it and we had a few ski trips before the kids came along, however on my last trip i had a bad expereince and really struggled (probably not helped by the early stages of preganacy so was completely knackered before i even tried to ski) and never thought i would do it again (my hubby thought i had ended his ski days too) but then all of a sudden i got this urge to start gain so have been up to glenshee a few times and have been to braehead and i'm loving it more than ever and a lot more confident and determined to get better this time.

I'm hoping at 32 i have plenty more ski years in me yet.
ski holidays
I have huge regrets for not starting sooner, it must be so much easier to get all that falling over out of the way when you are that much closer to the ground!

I was 27 when I first went skiing - similar experience to MissRibena growing up, I didn't know anyone who went skiing and the family were lucky to get a week away in Wexford each year, never mind abroad!

I always wanted to try it but skiing always came at the time when I could least afford it i.e. just before or after Xmas - mind you now I find the money from somewhere! Then when I was 27 my now hubby got me a trip for Christmas and I have never looked back, we've had at least 2 trips a year since and Summer hols are a huge no-no as they eat into my winter hol allocation. Luckily my hubby is quite easy going and although he loves a week in the sun, so far he's been willing to give it up for a snow holiday.... long may that continue!
ski holidays
Did some cros-country in Canada when I was 23, then nothing more for the next 20 years. Like Agenterre, my winters were spent playing rugby (chris, just as well you never played: you'd have never got over having the lights kicked out of you by us middle/upper class ponces)

Still, I look at it this way: since I missed out on the sport for 20 years in my youth, I'll just have to make up for it by putting in the missing 20 years in my dotage.
latest report
I didn't sign up for school trips. Not sure why I thought my parents wouldn't want me too. They had the dosh, but no culture of exercise or exhilaration.

A beautiful women asked me to go skiing with her when I was 20. I didn't go. Crying or Very sad

Went out with someone who worked as a chalet girl each winter, a few years later. Still didn't understand it. Nasty looking plastic boots in Lillywhites window is one memory. Why would anyone wear those?

Tried it when I was 24. Now totally hooked for the last 23 years. Wish I had started as a child. Trying to do 3-4 weeks a year now. Plan to stop when I'm dead. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hello all

I went on a school trip in 1985/6 (I think) and loved it, but for some reason didnt pick it up again till last year when I went to a dry slope for somthing to do and realised what was missing in my life. I went to Andorra and it didnt snow but we were able to ski on ice everyday and that was ok with me as I know no different (when I went with the school it didnt snow either).

Im going in March to Les Deux Alpes, so if you want fresh snow avoid there from 16th for a week. Its looking like its going to be a regular thing from now on (please god!). Unlike some on here Im pleased I had that gap as if I'd been doing it all this time it wouldnt be new and exiting..or is it???

just like to say this site and the forums are great for passing the time in work till March. wink
snow report
BOREDINWORK, yes, every ski holiday is new and exciting, and I've been doing it for 30 years snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BOREDINWORK, Welcome to snowHead Go for it ... and I respect your wonderful attitude .. I suspect the whatever you do (or think ) L2A is one of those places that just will have good snow somewhere .. if not everwhere. It has loads of 'vertical' and a glacier ... tell us how big your smile is when you get back. Have you seen the L2A thread ? Read it for instruction and general knowledge ...
snow report
Good to know that Rachel.....Hope Im still going 30 years on!

Thanks Agenterre....Ive been lookin on the L2A snow forecast thread I presume this is the one you mean and its really informative and making me cold turkey. Cant wait now.

Should a 33 year old get excited like this???? who cares!
ski holidays
BOREDINWORK, I'm 53 .. always excited ... and, no, I don't care about the begrudgers either !

edit -- BTW RachelQ didnt start sking until she was 41 wink

PS .. Ignore some of what I write ( well most actually Sad wink )
snow conditions
BOREDINWORK, are you still at work Puzzled if not you're still posting....must be serious

You'll love L2A for the reasons Agenterre, has mentioned already. I went on a school trip in 1969 and didn't pick it up again until 2006 - what a waste, but to be honest I reckon I'm probably just as keen even after all these years and the equipment these days makes skiing a little different.

Have fun in L2A - maybe on your return you'll tell all about it.
snow report
I am kind of glad that I never learnt as child. As I reckon it has given me way more focus to progress once I did start aged 22. All my friends went every year on the school ski trip, but my parents never had much spare cash as they paid for my private education.

So after uni I decided it was now or never and I got a job as minibus driver for a chalet in Valdisere (that was 10 years ago) spent every spare moment of that first season out on the snow.

Since then I have done another season in Morzine, lived in Vancouver for a year (free pass for whistler as worked for Intrawest It dept wink ) gone on numerous road trips across Utah, California, Washington, British Columbia and Chile chasing powder. Ridden in all over Europe. learnt how to cross a glacier safely, climb mountains with ice axe and crampons. Stay in remote beautiful refuges, camp in the snow.

Also it got me into mountain biking looking for a summer alternative - singletrack is almost as good as powder!

I still vividly remember my first run in december 1997 - and it changed my outlook on life forever......long live snow Very Happy

all my school friends are now what I would call average once a year skiiers. Puzzled All my friends who started later in their 20's are far better and much keener.
snow report
my first ski trip was meant to be in chamonix with a group of mates from the rugby club, at the age of 28, but a little suprise in the shape of my first born son came along, so then had to wait another 10 years until finally being able to afford it, we went to killington in the usa, with the kids aged 7 and 10, and have never looked back.
the boys now ski and board to a very high level and i am trying my best to keep up with them, so each year i try to get a few more days on the slopes than year before, and i am hoping to in the next few years to take the winter off work and to ski for 100 days at least.
it used to get me down that i didn't start skiing much earlier , but after seeing loads of 70 and 80 year olds ripping up the blacks and double blacks in aspen this year, i think there is hope for me yet snowHead
snow conditions
In August 2005 I was on a mountain bike holiday in Chamonix and was persuaded to try snowboarding the following January from a friend who's been boarding for 10 years.

So learnt to board indoors at Castleford end of 2005, first holiday in Andorra in January 2006 (aged 31). I've been hooked every since.

Early last year the girlfriend mentioned she wanted to learn to ski so she could come to the 2008 holiday (she had a cruise booked that clashed with our next holiday in March 2007 and couldn't ski anyway).

So I suggested I learn to ski with her for support (again, indoors at Castleford). I got into skiing as well, did 1 day last year in Morzine but struggled quite a lot. We did 4 days in January this year in Morzine again. This time I only took my skis. I made a big improvement on my second day and I'm now addicted to skiing as well Toofy Grin

I could not get my girlfriend (30) to stop ploughing in the 3 days she spent skiing in January (she was ill for 1 day). We decided skiing was not really for her (she said she did not enjoy it anyway). She would still come on the next trip which was now fully paid for but not take out a 6 day pass. Probably ski for 2 days on the green slope at the top of the Pleney.

However, 1 week after getting home, she expressed a new desire to start skiing. So we went to the Chill Factor in Manchester where she learned to ski properly (parallel) in just 1 hour! Couldn't believe it, why couldn't she do it in 3 days in Morzine? rolling eyes

A large group of us are going to Morzine in March, where I will do 3 days boarding and 3 days skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy