Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Power-Plate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been reading an article about powerplate http://www.ok.co.uk/posts/view/346/Snow-business and how good it is for ski fitness, has anyone used one or got any thoughts about them. The gym i use dont have one but it looks like a really good way of exercising the core and legs without putting any strain on the joints.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marlin, yes, I've found it particularly good for squats.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope the guy in the pic has just started using it.

/chickenlegssnort
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

These machines are good for core stability and improving core fitness alongside a good cardio workout. This website gives some great advice and compares different models. Power Plates

Also found this blog article on this site as Chemmy Alcott has recently used one to help rehabilitate from her recent injury. britains-number-one-female-skier-uses-power-plate

There are some great cheaper models out there as the Power Plate machines are at the top end of the market.

Hope this helps
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marlin, I've used it and it does give a work out of sorts for the legs - I have a dodgy knee to normal resistance exercises are a no-no.

I think the science is a bit dodgy....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As pbutler, says, these are only any use when used in conjunction with a proper work out.

There are 6 in my gym, but I haven't used one. At the moment I get enough exercise from the spin classes. They sound good for healing injured muscle though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, Dodgy how? Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use it in my gym. I also cycle, use the cardio machines etc etc. I think it is very useful for building up general muscle tone without having to do lots of weights. Saves time, which means you can do other sorts of exercise in addition. Very useful piece of kit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schuss in Boots, dodgy as in unproven - pseudo science backed by research studies which perhaps were not totally impartial...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-Plate

Having said that, I use one and I like it, but they're the not the cure for the common cold...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 26-03-09 16:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, Thanks for explaining. I didn't know that. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots, this article is good too - sorry I can't do URL thing. Note that the 'pro' quote is from a PowerPlate 'advisor'...

IMV they will never build muscle mass but what I do like them for - specifically for Skiing - is that in conjunction with Swiss Ball work they work those seldom-used little bits of muscle and sinew that are responsible for stabilty and joint strength.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/expert-advice/diet-detective/fit-flops-power-plate-work/;jsessionid=GFEE21VZNQTQ5QFIBQPSCAQ?page=2
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Read the article puts me right off Verbier...

Verbier, Switzerland: Jodie Kidd, TV presenter Patrick Kielty, James Blunt, Hugh Grant, Jemima Khan, Victoria Beckham and Jamie Oliver
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, Thanks, good link. So I assume that the PP is going to be good for toning and building muscle strength, rather than general fitness and muscle build-up?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, I would say that's a fair assumption... I'm off for a session at lunchtime. Another thing I like for skiing fitness is using the cross trainer but without holding onto the handles. Shifting balance from one leg to t'other while also pressing down with each leg alternately seems to closely match the type of movement used in skiing. So it's 15 mins of that, powerplate squats and swiss ball core stuff. Get me ready for next season... Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy