Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Feb - France/Italy...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there everybody Little Angel

Me and a few other friends from England (around 5) want to go skiing next year in February. We have heard great things about Italy but I'm not fussy on where we go as long as the skiing is good and we get as much of it in as possible!

We'd like somewhere where there will be guaranteed snow (!), near to the slopes, good for beginners and intermediates and isnt dead at night time. Oh yes, and not too far from the airport.

Is there any such place that fits this description or any recommendations on places that are good for beginners/intermediates.

Thanks in advance Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
....sounds like Sauze in Italy..........but there will be hundreds of other possible suggestions as Europe is your oyster at that time of the year. Unless you are really unlucky with the weather you should easily have snow down to resorts of at least 1800m. Do you have any more specific search criteria? Close to Airport, short transfer, other snow sports, sk=ng/boarding/blading????

Sauze is part of the Milky Way in Italy - 400km of "linked piste", tons of wide runs and some challenging stuff as well. Lots of variation. Good restaurants/bars. There's also plenty of accessable inter piste "off piste" as the Italians seem to stick to the piste. You'll find loads of information around here if you have a search. The lifts in Sauze aren't the greatest and need updating, but once you are up the mountain they improve greatly.........especially over to Sestiere.

Good Luck Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia and Passo Tonale are two of the most snow sure Italian resorts.

They are both good for beginners/intermediates.

Slopes are nearby.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Henro, welcome to snowheads, there's only one place for you to go; La Rosiere, it's linked to la thuile in Italy so you get the best of both worlds. At this stage I have to declare an interest, we have a chalet in La Rosiere and offer catered chalet holidays, see our ad in snowShops, end of commercial.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Henro, As far as snow goes, you'll have lots of choice in February. The resort that is unreliable in February probably doesn't have much of a future! The trouble is, Feb is popular because of the good snow, warmer temperatures than Jan, and also French and English (don't know about Italian) half term holidays. So, your choice in accommodation may be limited if you don't book soon!

Of the resorts that I know, Megève, St Gervais, Flaine and Courmayeur (Italy) are all within easy reach of Geneva airport, and would meet the requirements you've given.

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dan, If Europe is your lobster at that time of year then why visit Sauze?
Granted the night life is livelier than anything in France (VD the only possible exception) but it's kind of crap and as it's at the extreme end of the Milkyway you won't really be able to exploit the 400km of piste.

Henro, If loads of piste skiing is your top priority go to a mega resort in the Haute Tarentaise. I'd suggest Motteret in the 3V's. Bags of ski in/out accom, slap bang in the middle of 600KM of piste and easy access to Courchevel and Val Thorens and tons of off piste action also. The downside is that there is absolutely no nightlife except for a few bars.

If you like a wee party take the snowtrain and get 8 days skiing for the price of 6. We did it for the first time last year and loved it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a gross generalisation, based on a very small sample, so take it with all the caveats you can muster, but having done Val d'Isere, Cervinia and Laax (Switzerland) in February (the latter two at half-term), I'd suggest Italy in Feb., as opposed to France. Even with the bottlenecks at Cervinia, the queues were still shorter than in Val. I'm off to France this year, but in Januray. snowHead

You may find this useful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Dan, If Europe is your lobster at that time of year then why visit Sauze?
Granted the night life is livelier than anything in France (VD the only possible exception) but it's kind of crap and as it's at the extreme end of the Milkyway you won't really be able to exploit the 400km of piste.

The only thing that's really "crap" at Sauze is the lift system. It's certainly not at the extreme end of the Milky Way system (it's the link between Sansicario and Sestriere, unless you go off-piste one way only) and I'll guarantee you that you definitely can exploit the 400km of piste - if you can't then you must be either a complete beginner (in which case you wouldn't need to leave the Sauze sector) or you're taking too many breaks. Apart from the lifts rolling eyes I would say that Sauze is ideal for beginners/intermediates.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sauze is fantastic, great skiing tremendous night life we'll be back for our third year in feb.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
casper & bootneck - sauze - totally agree - top resort. If only they could have lifts in the resort itself so you do not have to climb up the mountain to get to them!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would say Cervinia over Sauze in all respects bar the night-life. And I agree that almost most accom' in Sauze is a walk uphill. Do your homework on the hotel location.

I would say Cervinia is much more an adventure playground as it doesn't get skied out too early if you want to try off-piste..!

Or AlpeD'huez, for beginners and intermediates...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I too would put Sauze above Cervinia. Cervinia is great for easy motorway cruising and getting confidence. Cross from Cervinia to Zermatt and look at probably the best looking mountain in the world, but with a group of lads there is not a great deal to do apres ski. There is a Scottish bar and an Irish bar and only one night club which is pretty poor at the best of times.

Sauze has its drawbacks on the slopes, as mentioned the lift system is one of the worst I have known, but things may have changed gearing itself up for the winter olympics! Nightlife great from the moment you leave the piste to Banditos and the Gran Trun late at night.

You cant beat France for skiing but not in February with what seems like half of France under 9's in the resorts. Enjoy wherever you go.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'm with the Sauze crew, great for beginners and intermediates
(going again for new year)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, is right. Anywhere without decent snow in Feb is finished as a ski resort. Choose the place with the style that appeals. Sauze is great for young and lively.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy