Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

She doesn't want to take lessons - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Thats ideal benji, you can meet up for lunch or if she gets on really well with her other class mates you can have most of the day bombing round and meet up at 3.30. Well done! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not sure she'll thank you. Lessons are clearly important. You need at least one for every sport (tell you how to hold a racket, lift a sail etc) but if someone who has excellent balance skills they are likely to pick up skiing fairly quickly. My experience a few years ago was to do 'learn to ski in a day' at Tamworth, I cannot recommend this too highly. As someone who had previously skateboarded, windsurfed etc. I progressed OK. 1st day at resort was a bit of a shock as the runs were steeper and more icy, so I spent the morning on my back bottom, but after being reminded to 'keep forward' I started progressing again. I had so much to work on that I did not take a lesson that week but just toured the mountain progressing from greens to reds. If you want the companionship etc of ski school then 4 hours a day is fine. To actually progress in skiing I would have thought this is too much as you are on 'holiday' and 2 hrs every so often and lots of practice seems more reasonable? After all a good holiday skier is someone who is safe to others, and able to to enjoy themselves.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bbski wrote:
To actually progress in skiing I would have thought this is too much as you are on 'holiday' and 2 hrs every so often and lots of practice seems more reasonable?

Not an expert on these matters, but I'd have thought it was the other way round. To progress in skiing I'd have thought you would need to be practicing the right thing, so 2 hours of lessons then prcticing what you vaguely remember, seems like a good way of practicing bad habits. More regular lessons would mean you had someone much better than you giving you constant feedback.
Unfortunately (especially for Mrs H! Razz ) I guess I don't fall into that 'holiday' skier category, I am always trying to improve (tougher terrain, faster, more efficient, technically better) I was a late starter (5 years ago) and just too impatient to be getting on!! Madeye-Smiley
I find the best way for me is continuing to take as many lessons as possible. I have a season unlimited lesson pass this year so hopefully I'll find out whether this plan works!! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a female friend do the same, went skiing for a week but didn't want lessons. She didn't enjoy it.

Ask your friend if she would go swimming without having lessons if she couldn't swim? I wouldn't be fun......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Say that a pre-holiday trip to the snowdome to practise a few vital skills (such as how to stop!), will save her a lot of learning time when she is on the hill. Hopefully the upshot of this trip is that she will realise how important getting some decent lessons are.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bbski, Being able to get around the mountain and being able to ski are two different things. Many recreational skiers can get around quite adequately, but substitute exploring for ski-ing due to lack of technique. The better your technique the more enjoyment you get out of ski-ing. The intermediate plateau exists only because people stop learning, and eventually realise that they're getting nowhere.

stuarth, Good for you. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth, you sound too competitive for your own good! rolling eyes

Poor Mrs H. I bet she's a much better skier than you would lead us to believe. NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
benjj, great idea to buy ski lessons as a present. I have to agree with one of the above posters that six full days of lessons is probably not the best bang for your money, especially if the group is a big one. your friend might find it difficult to stay focused (as in a group setting there will be alot of standing around) or struggle fitness wise. I think it would be better to spend the raised money on private tuition, 1-2 hours a time would then give her a chance to practice the stuff learned (you probably need to check up on her once in a while). she could also rest/do some other fun stuff and it would feel more relaxed rather than having lessons all the time. private tuition is sooo much more effective IMHO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there are people on this site so ski mad snowHead that they would do 4 hrs of chemistry lessons if they thought it would help their technique! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

More regular lessons would mean you had someone much better than you giving you constant feedback.

I agree with you stuarth. Although it is some years since I had a group lesson when I first learnt to ski I had great fun meeting new people in classes and learning to ski with them. Private tuition to me comes later once you have hit the intermediate plateau. A group class will give the other members in the party more time to ski at a faster pace.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'I think there are people on this site so ski mad that they would do 4 hrs of chemistry lessons if they thought it would help their technique! ' - how ? Going skiing on Friday, so I need to know now ! Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think there are people on this site so ski mad that they would do 4 hrs of chemistry lessons if they thought it would help their technique!

Wax formulation is a fascinating subject!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How to make snow, chemical additives perhaps?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowy, it sounds as though you have never been on cross country skis. Stopping on alpine skis, with hard metal edges, to which you are firmly attached, is a piece of cake. Stopping on cross-country skis is a great deal more difficult. Not if you're on the flat, of course, but there's not much point in that! As a competent skier - skied about 40 weeks and had LOADS of lessons - I was taken aback to find how hard it is to control cross country skis. A gentle slope looks terrifying when you know you can't stop. Our instructor told us that all the local French ski club kids, who are hot stuff, do a lot of work on cross country skis to improve their balance and "feel". Oh, and by the way, you DEFINITELY need lessons on cross country skis too, if you want to do more than shuffle around on the flat. Most resorts only have flat-shuffling paths for cross country, not worth bothering. Go to a resort with a range of pistes at different levels of difficulty - like Les Saisies. And get lessons.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bbski, you might want to try physics, maths and geography as well as chemistry - they would all apply!

stuarth, I too am a late starter - Jan, 2004 - and I take lessons as much as I can, so where do you ski that has an unlimited season lesson pass? - I could do with that!
ski holidays
pollittcl wrote:

stuarth, I too am a late starter - Jan, 2004 - and I take lessons as much as I can, so where do you ski that has an unlimited season lesson pass? - I could do with that!

Whistler (Platinum Pass)
snow report
bbski, I'd reallly enjoy another 4 hours of chemistry lessons, when do I start!!!
latest report
Best idea, after three days she may be able to ski an afternoon with you if she is lucky..
Anything else would be silly...and over ambitious..
snow report
pam w wrote:
snowy, it sounds as though you have never been on cross country skis.

You'd be right there - cross country skiing looks too much like hard work to me!

In my email about stopping when cross country skiing, I was referring to stopping technique when on the flat. I expect if you just stopped moving your feet, you would come to a stop. Is that true. I'm just working on my knowledge of physics here. Puzzled

So how do you stop on cross country/telemark skis then when going downhill, other than trying to point your skis slightly uphill when moving forward??

I do take a lot of lessons (alpine skiing); perhaps not quite as many as stuarth appears to but he sounds like he can't get enough of it. Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
ski holidays
This last year I went to Courchevel with fiancee, her sister and her sister's bf. He was similar - didn't want to take lessons but had never put on a pair of skis in his life.

First, we made sure he took one trip to the local dryslope, where he was taught the real basics (snowplough etc.). Then we headed up to Aviemore for a weekend, where the conditions were brutal - 70mph winds at the top and -40 with windchill. To be fair to him, he was going to get lessons there, but the conditions were so bad they weren't taking beginners out!

When we got to Courchevel in March, he'd had one day on real snow and half a day on the dryslope, so virtually nothing. Still, it put him in good stead for the real thing, and despite taking no lessons, he was able to get down reds (albeit not overly elegantly) by the end of the holiday.

I still think he would have got so much more out of it had he taken lessons, and at one point I was on the verge of suggesting he pops his skis and walks down the side of the slope, because he was being something of a (slowly) moving obstacle rather than a skier!

So, to summarise, she may be ok, but will probably hate the lessons, if she'd already made up her mind. Still, at least you'll have her out of your hair for half of every day, so your holiday should be fine!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy