Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best ski resort in the world

Poster: A snowHead
please excuse my ignornance. i was only expressing an opinion. my opinion.

thanks rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen_sheba wrote:
please excuse my ignornance. i was only expressing an opinion. my opinion.

thanks rolling eyes

Laughing No problem with expressing an opinion, but it's good to know what an opinion is based on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, I think queen_sheba was merely sharing her opinion on the subject... PDS would certainly tick a lot of peoples boxes, they do hers. If people suggested resorts they consider to be rather top draw you would probably soon find some correlation, and thus determine those resorts that most snowHead consider to be the "best" in their opinion. It's not an exact science, just an opinion shared on a forum.

Any prolific suggestion for a specific resort would certainly make me take note... and consider for a future trip, i've got my heart set on Aspen after your comments in other threads!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep i'll be checking out zermatt (albeit in summer) and hopefully whistler at xmas next year. however i'll always remember where i first learned to ski!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be fair PDS would be hard to make it to the top 5 of the French resorts and even harder in the Swiss resorts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee, which is the "best" resort you've visited?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski-finder, I think we both posted at the same time above. My apologies to queen_sheba if I sounded harsh.
Just trying to make the point that if someone's opinion is based on limited experience, then that needs to be considered.

e.g. User A: Wengen is the best resort in the world.
User B: Where else have you been to?
User A: I have never been to anywhere better than Wengen.
User B: Where else have you been to?
User A: Nowhere. Wengen is the best in the world.
User B: Yes, but if you've only ever been to Wengen, then Wengen is also the WORST resort in "the world".

So, how about asking people to rate one resort as better than another (that they have visited) because...

e.g.
3V is better than Milton Keynes because it has more km of slope
Milton Keynes is better than 3V because it is closer
Saalbach is better than Solitude because of the apres ski
Solitude is better than Saalbach because of the quiet pistes
etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
So, how about asking people to rate one resort as better than another (that they have visited) because...

Maybe it would just be better to describe the differences, because everyone has different value judgements about what is better?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hey there - no worries.

however i think people's levels need to be taken into account too. eg now i might like PDS but when i'm good at blacks i might prefer cham or off-piste i might prefer whistler.

and what if you want - closer, good apres ski AND quiet pistes?! lol...a challenge i know!

surely the best resort is the one that offers the best cross-section of pistes, apre-ski, accommodation etc?

sorry - cat amongst the pigeons here!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, accept the experience popint, and like that solution a lot... I was just getting annoyed by everyone saying "you can't say which one is THE best"... of course you can't as it is completely subjective... but I would certainly prefer some opinions on resorts, rather than simply comments about the structure of the question itself Smile

So here's a few from my limited experience:

Saalbach is better than Avoriaz for Apres-ski
Avoriaz has better/more varied terain for skiing than Saalbach
Saalbach is prettier than Avoriaz
St Johan is prettier than Saalbach
Austria has better atmosphere apres-ski than France

Any more for any more?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Maybe it would just be better to describe the differences, because everyone has different value judgements about what is better?

Yes, describing differences would be good, but it would put paid to all the "which is best" threads!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, maybe we should add a "What is the best way to ascertain the best of something?" thread? Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wengen is better than Vail because it is a chocolate box town
Vail is better than Wengen cause it's easy to get around on and off the slopes.
Aspen is better than Val d'Isere cause the airport transfer is under 30 minutes.
Va d'Isere is better than Aspen because the total time from a UK airport is under 10 hours.
The Canyons is better than Deer Valley because it is more relaxed
Deer Valley is better than the Canyons because it has lots of perfect groomers.
The Canyons is better than Deer Valley because it has lots of ungroomed skiing.
Beaver Creek is better than Val d'Isere because it really does customer service.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My top 3 ratings, based only on personal experience and preferences:-

1. Big White - uncrowded, great snow, great in-bounds off-piste, great gladed skiing, great ski-in/out, great accommodation, friendly atmosphere
2. Lake Louise - as above, but a bit chilly and not really ski-in/out. Some of the higher lifts were a bit slow too (1997)
3. Whistler - great terrain and vertical, great ski-in/out, but crowded and sometimes wet. A bit too popular for my taste, but superb nonetheless.

Also skied quite a few large and small resorts in France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and not forgetting Scotland, but generally prefer the more chilled out North American experience. Favourite European resort was probably Tignes or maybe Courcheval. But no real preference between the big purpose built French resorts. I've had some great holidays in smaller, less trendy resorts like Valmorel too. As always, it depends as much on the weather and who you're with than where you happen to be skiing.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 12-02-08 14:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
May be there is a way out of this "best resort" saga if we break it into different targets like:-

How about a list of the nearest resort to a specified airport (or for the easiest transfer)?

How about a list of largest linked resorts of a specified country or a continent? since some countries count size by piste lengths while others counts by skiable area.

How about a list of largest "unlinked resorts" or domain of a specified country or a continent? These unlinked resorts can only be skied by bus rides.

How about a list of the most exquisite resorts, that need a really deep pocket so that the majority of the skiers are priced out?

How about a list of resorts most snow-sure? high altitude, has glacier skiable even in summer?

How about a list of affordable resorts, good value for money?

How about a list of most difficult and challenging resorts for the skiing junkies? offpiste, extreme skiing and scare enough to wet the pants of an average skier?

etc

etc

etc

ski-finder,

Don't have a best resort yet. But I like a resort tidy, treats its clients as important guest regardless of how much he/she spends, has top notch infrastructure, has altitude to guarantee there will be snow even in a season where snow is in shortage elsewhere, has reasonable transport facilities to it, not massive in size so that it will be flooded by people, does not have a huge number of skiers competing space on runs......

I think Zermatt, Lech and Ischgl are among my choice at the moment if I choose a correct time to visit them.

Haven't done USA yet but Whistler is not my favourite. I might if I enjoy talking to fellow skiers to kill the time when queuing at the bottom of its gondola stations.
ski holidays
Zermatt is pretty (Matterhorn), has fantastic food, skiing is ok, but it is a bummer to get to the slopes. Les Arcs, is ugly by comparison but the skiing is on the doorstep and I prefer the fact that it is on the doorstep as opposed to Queuing for bus (first one full, second one full, third full,) get in taxi, arrive at cable car, queue and get a up the mountain, ski off take another chair and gondola and you are there!!! I know I could take the train but could be waiting for that, the funicular is probably quickest but if you are not on the doorstep you will still have to wait for the bus, easier I accept going back into town.

Beautiful yes, convenient NO. So queen_sheba, your opinion does matter to me and possibly more than others. Although you may not have skied as many places as you would like you are still grounded.
latest report
lol - thanks Roy.

I don't like queuing. i like to get up and walk to the bottom of the lift, get on it and ski off at the top. simple basic requirements.

although a pretty village, good apres ski, pool venue, plenty of sambuca and a night club you can blag your way into pretending to be a seasonaire then spend 17 euros on a corona and short is good for me!

expense is also important - i think a lot of resorts are pricing people out of the market - i mean my group at xmas paid £525 for 9 days accomm - fully catered. Whistler wants over £1000 for a week! never mind two weeks or 10 days! and as for zermatt - crikey it's tough even trying to find something reasonable in the summer - i can only imgaine how the winter is! andorra is benidorm on snow (so i've heard) i think 3V or meribel might be my next place to try.

so all of these things and a reasonable price leaves a fairly limited selection (as well as good beginners slopes) this is why i believe PDS wins on all of thse points! i'm sure my opinion would change as i get better skills wise...

xx
sarah
latest report
ski-finder wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, accept the experience popint, and like that solution a lot... I was just getting annoyed by everyone saying "you can't say which one is THE best"... of course you can't as it is completely subjective... but I would certainly prefer some opinions on resorts, rather than simply comments about the structure of the question itself Smile

Just keep in mind there're also some people who are annoyed by the question of "best". Best for whom? Best for what?

To be consider "best", a resort must be better than all others in all aspect that's of interest to any skier, whatever their level and preference. Such resort simply doesn't exist.

So in short, "the best resort of the world" doesn't actually exist. Asking such a question simply invites abuse.

There're many resorts that have many strong points, which may lead to many people consider some "one of the best" for themselves. But that's a different question than what's being asked here.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Wengen is better than Vail because it is a chocolate box town
Vail is better than Wengen cause it's easy to get around on and off the slopes.
Aspen is better than Val d'Isere cause the airport transfer is under 30 minutes.
Va d'Isere is better than Aspen because the total time from a UK airport is under 10 hours.
The Canyons is better than Deer Valley because it is more relaxed
Deer Valley is better than the Canyons because it has lots of perfect groomers.
The Canyons is better than Deer Valley because it has lots of ungroomed skiing.
Beaver Creek is better than Val d'Isere because it really does customer service.

.. but everything is better than septic-land as there are less of them !

But your points are valid ... 'Best' is bollox ... and Wengen isn't 'Best' under any criteria I know of , other than 'Brit-ified' ....
ski holidays
Let's look at customer service at 3 resorts.
1. Beaver Creek.
Get your skis for you from the resort bus when you arrive
Heated pavements, so little ice at resort
Escalators outdoors at resort level so you don't have to walk up and down steps in your boots.
Free fresh home made cookies.
Free postcards

2. Deer Valley.
Get your skis off your car ski rack and carry them for you to the ticket window.
Free sun block/moisturiser in toliets

3. The Canyons. (if you stay in the right place)
Heated car park, so the car's not iced up either.
Free ski servicing
Boots dried every night (and then stored in your locker)
Skis carried to/from main gondola for you

Which is the best?
snow report
Of Whistler, Aspen, Verbier, Tignes, Val d'Isere I'd say that order...

* Amount of accessible terrain
* Variety of terrain levels from flat to vertical
* Ski schools (Esprit + especially Extremely Canadian)
* Excellent interconnection between all ski areas
* Off piste is de rigeur, av-controlled, patrolled and encouraged
* Excellent trees
* Polite, efficient queues (if they exist)
* Massively friendly natives
* Wide open spaces
* Cleanliness
* Accommodation
* Town (shopping/eating) facilities
* Non-skiing facilities in the area

Despite:
* distance/travel
* cost
* possible wet weather in town

Yep - it's the best Wink
snow conditions
abc wrote:
ski-finder wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, accept the experience point, and like that solution a lot... I was just getting annoyed by everyone saying "you can't say which one is THE best"... of course you can't as it is completely subjective... but I would certainly prefer some opinions on resorts, rather than simply comments about the structure of the question itself Smile

Just keep in mind there're also some people who are annoyed by the question of "best". Best for whom? Best for what?

To be consider "best", a resort must be better than all others in all aspect that's of interest to any skier, whatever their level and preference. Such resort simply doesn't exist.

So in short, "the best resort of the world" doesn't actually exist. Asking such a question simply invites abuse.

There're many resorts that have many strong points, which may lead to many people consider some "one of the best" for themselves. But that's a different question than what's being asked here.

If the question annoys people then there are literally hundreds of other threads that shouldn't annoy people too much surely?

But hey I'm not here to argue or abuse anyone... it's not the reason I joined snowHead
ski holidays
ski-finder wrote:
abc wrote:
ski-finder wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, accept the experience point, and like that solution a lot... I was just getting annoyed by everyone saying "you can't say which one is THE best"... of course you can't as it is completely subjective... but I would certainly prefer some opinions on resorts, rather than simply comments about the structure of the question itself Smile

If the question annoys people then there are literally hundreds of other threads that shouldn't annoy people too much surely?

But hey I'm not here to argue or abuse anyone... it's not the reason I joined snowHead

You may not have joined to annoy others. But you admitted being annoyed (by the "non-answers" to the "best resort of the world").

So why are you so surprised others are being annoyed by different posts?
latest report
Of about 40+ so far, I would pick Zermatt in Europe and Jackson Hole in North America.

Planning to look for others in the future though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
abc, he he, fair point, well made...
snow report
PDS is toooo low - the highest ski-ing is only about the height of Val Thorens village.

My favourites are Whistler, Argentiere and Zermatt.
snow report
stephen buck, Out of your favourites are any of them ski in - ski out? I like the convenience, that said Zermatt is pretty!
snow report
Roy Hockley, Whistler has some ski in/ski out - definitely at the Blackcomb base, and ski-in at all three bases.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've heard the snow dome in Dubai is the place to be.

Actually Whistler, BC, Canada is awesome. I live here, and am very happy. Especially the last 3 seasons.
ski holidays
wbsr, Stop making us jealous!
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, I think that altidude / snow quality would probably be my main selection criteria.

If it were convenience, then I'd plump for the 3 valleys or Espace Killy ahead of the PDS.
ski holidays
That answers the question exactly, there is no "best" resort as we all have different criterea.
snow conditions
Re: the 1-on-1 comparison option - it is a well known technique for evaluating competitive tenders from multiple bidders, to determine, according to your criteria as the buyer, the "best" option from what appears on the surface to be a difficult decision making process.

OK, so you don't often have 13 thousand sellers to choose from, as here, but it would be theoretically possible to rank, according to your individual preference ALL resorts, based on ALL the criteria that you want to include, and mathematically evaluate 'the best' result for the individual doing the scoring. I guess you could then norm those results across snowHead.

(WAKE UP up at the back...)

Take each resort and compare it with each other resort, 1-on-1, for that particular criteria alone, and score which is better (in your judgment), with a neutral score meaning a criteria in both targets that is "of equal merit". Repeat this one on one comparison across all evaluation targets.

Input the values to a highly complex and formulae-ridden spreadsheet I just happen to have for exactly this purpose, and out pops your answer.

Then iteratively redo the figures until you get the answer your boss wants...

Or just accept that the current ski domain you are in is by default the best, and leave it at that.
snow report
JimW wrote:
Input the values to a highly complex and formulae-ridden spreadsheet I just happen to have for exactly this purpose, and out pops your answer.

But, the whole point of the exercise should really be to define what the question is. Just ask Deep Thought.
ski holidays
Castleford - Leeds

Why? Don't think the OP cares but it meets the criteria as he doesn't specify most runs or least runs. He may be one who hates skiing mileage.
snow conditions
JimW, That works very well for me in my business, because I know what I want! The companies that fit my criterea are shortlisted and the then the evaluation of price, quality, delivery, training etc can be analysed.

The problem asking "which is the best resort"? Can not be evaluated in any way, what is the criteria bearing in mind that it is intagiable, location to particular airport! snow sure! chocolate box villlage! Amount of Kms! Michelin starred restaurants!! the list goes on and on. Someone elses criteria could be as simple as say, above 1500m, and CHEAP. The classifications are too numerous to evaluate because each persons criteria IS different. So the answer is no resort is the best, best for that person yes, but not for everyone else. "Blacksilver" will say as he always does St. Moritz, others will say ugly, bland, expensive, reasonable skiing, picturesque, full of Russian hookers and their squires, pompous brits etc. etc. However "Blacksilver" finds it great and he fits in there wink
snow report
For me I think the snow is the most important thing snowHead
I was in Zermatt at New Year and really loved it and can see how lots of other people rate it as one of the best resorts, it really is stunning and has some lovely long runs, HOWEVER it was really icy for about 3 out of the 7 days we skied and I hate skiing on ice.

A couple of weeks ago I went up to Cairngorm when it had been really stormy and the forecast wasn't great but it turned out to be some of the best snow I have ever seen Smile

Similarly the first time I ever went skiing was to Pamporovo in Bulgaria, we had about 1ft of fresh snow every night and blue skies and sunshine everyday, so for that week it definitely was the best resort, shame I didn't appreciate all the snow then, I just assumed thats what it was like when you go skiing rolling eyes

I suppose if you go on a holiday and ski then other aspects of the resort will be more important but if you just go to ski, not have a holiday then where ever has the best snow is the best resort.
ski holidays
Depends on if you're talking this world or the next.....
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Amen
latest report
To get this into perspective, I've only ever been to three resorts: Valmeinier 1800 Jan 2005, Achensee March 2006, Zell am Ziller February 2007.

And for me, Valmeinier 1800 was sheer class. Odd choice i hear you cry? Well, when we were there it dumped for the first two days and then we had 4 days of sunshine with heaps of powder next to the slopes with nobody touching it. no queues all week, ski-in ski-out, great snow, good range of pistes, and cheap. For a beginner I think that it would have been hard to beat. I highly doubt that Valmeinier 1800 could even be considered one of the top 20 resorts in the world - However, for me it suited perfectly, and for my limited criteria it was WORLD CLASS.

Just to contrast, I skied one day in Mayrhofen on my last trip to the Ziller Valley, which has a reputation as one of the best resorts in Austria. I know this isnt a fair comparison because i was there at the height of the high season, but - massively busy pistes, big queues to get up and DOWN the mountain, dangerous drunk skiers is not what makes a resort good in my eyes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy