Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
going on a school ski trip and i have been told we all must wear helmets
meaning im goin to have to buy one. might as well make it an investment as i am goin skiing twice this year
is it worth taking goggles when i go to check they fit or are they usually all compatible??
thanks
j
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jamie92, take 'em....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamie92, as a seasoned helmet owner (11 days now Toofy Grin ) I suggest you take your goggles as the fit between top of goggle and front rim of helmet may be problematic. Also to ensure the band is not overstretched (I understand extensions are available in the latter case).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok cheers guys
that was flipping quick as well
good forum this lol
ta
j
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where you off?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jamie92, Welcome to snowHeads! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zermatt on sunday Very Happy
les deux (deuz?) alpes at easter with school
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jamie92 wrote:
zermatt on sunday Very Happy
les deux (deuz?) alpes at easter with school

Zermatt is awful - make sure 'Sir' takes you over into Italy ASAP wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice!

My school trips where to little tiny Austrian resorts.

L2A is a really good resort. Very Happy Ask your instructor if you can ski La Grave. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jamie92, deffo check with goggles. I bought a helmet - then found that no goggles I tried with it fitted properly. Have a great holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another point,
can anyone recomend any helmets they have or have tried?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a Giro G9, fits fantastic with Oakley Wisdom goggles. Although it is quite expensive. Anything by R.E.D, Pro-Tec, Dainese, Cebe etc. Most will be sufficient.

You can also close up the gap between the top of the helmet and the goggle by wearing a thin balaclava, also keeps you warm on those really cold days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jamie92, The Giro does get good reports here - though I have not been able to find one in resort when I wanted to try one. My Current Rossignol is very comfortable - but does tend to get a bit hot, even with the vents open, during energetic skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamie92, although your school is saying you've got to wear a helmet be reassured that head injury risk in skiing is low - the risk is far far lower than when riding a bike.

If you're in Zermatt without the school you can make your own mind up whether to wear a helmet or not. It's up to you, and for any decision you take - respect.

I've taught hundreds of kids to ski, on a mountain where there were plenty of rocks and wooden snowfences. No head injuries.

I don't wear one, and doubt if I'll ever wear one ... personally.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
[b] It's up to you, and for any decision you take - respect.

get you, down with the kidz'n'all Laughing
ski holidays
Though the injury risk is low - today one of my guests was taken out by another skier, banged his head hard and was out cold. Great service from the piste security guys at Baqueira, and he was in hospital and seen by a doctor within 30 minutes. He is in hospital now undergoing observation as he was unconscious.

I wear a helmet all the time, not because I worry about having a wipe out myself but more because of the likely hood of being taken out by someone else who is out of control.

Seeing this guys wife in tears should be enough to make a lot of people think twice.
snow report
Ski Guide, The piste security guys in Baqueira are excellent. What's the snow like there at the moment ?
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
My mate got helmets (CE marked) for his kids for £6.99! from Aldi.

Probably all gone now though.
latest report
jamie92, when you try on helmets, check that the vents in your goggs, often on the upper rim of the frame, are not blocked by the helmet. Even if the goggs/helmet combo is comfortable, the vents might be blocked, leading to misty gogg misery. If you're intending to do any serious racing, you'll need a helmet which covers your ears (not just with pads), and if you find one with a removable mouth/chin guard, so much the better.

If you can't face buying a helmet, you will be able to hire one in the resort.

FWIW I've worn a Giro 9.9 for several seasons; it's comfortable, light and well vented. I almost never close the vents or use the ear pads (which can be replaced by pads wired for sound IIRC). I've used it with a couple of different goggs, no problem. It might not be the right shape for your bonce, though, and you should try on a number. It's no good for racing; doesn't cover the ears (and won't take a mouth/chin guard).

I'd love to know how Aldi can sell (presumably) perfectly adequate helmets for £6.99 while, for example, Giro have to charge the thick end of £100. The explanation surely can't be that skiers are technically illiterate, label driven, gadget obsessed poseurs, so there is obviously another reason.
latest report
The Giro does seem to have a lot of good comment in sH - but I didn't see one in LDA. I think I should have found time to go along to somewhere like Ellis Brigham's and made use of the choice ther in the UK - and I suggest anyone else buying a helmet should do that, rather than buy in resort - even though you could be lucky and find some bargains there.
snow conditions
Snow and Rock have Giros, though I don't know if they included that model.
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
richmond wrote:
jamie92,
I'd love to know how Aldi can sell (presumably) perfectly adequate helmets for £6.99 while, for example, Giro have to charge the thick end of £100. The explanation surely can't be that skiers are technically illiterate, label driven, gadget obsessed poseurs, so there is obviously another reason.

Because Giro sell a product that costs about £3.50 to manufacture in China at a huge mark up to retailers who then add their large mark up. It's all about margins. Aldi will source from a supplier in large quantities at a low price and would rather make 1% margin on large numbers sold. (Pile em high and sell em cheap).
ski holidays
S+R have G10s, Ellis Brigham have G9s. I know because I bought one recently and was determined not to get a Giro 9 precisely because I didn't want to be wearing exactly the same as about 80% of the people on this forum (ok, 80% of those who express a preference for wearing helmets). I failed Twisted Evil ; it was by far the most comfortable for my particular head so that was that, don't know how they have managed to make one which suits so many people so well...
snow report
bloxy wrote:
richmond wrote:
jamie92,

Because Giro sell a product that costs about £3.50 to manufacture in China at a huge mark up to retailers who then add their large mark up. It's all about margins. Aldi will source from a supplier in large quantities at a low price and would rather make 1% margin on large numbers sold. (Pile em high and sell em cheap).

That's rather what I assumed. So why are we buying helmets for £100 (assuming that we are not technically illiterate ...)?
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
Ski Guide, The piste security guys in Baqueira are excellent. What's the snow like there at the moment ?

Superb, 85 runs open with fantastic conditions in the morning, very warm in the afternoon at the moment but that does not detract from how good the skiing is.
snow report
richmond,
Quote:

So why are we buying helmets for £100 ?

mainly because:
Quote:

skiers are technically illiterate, label driven, gadget obsessed poseurs

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
We picked up a couple of the Aldi £6.99 lids - made by B-Square a German brand it would appear.
They look really good, removable ear pads cool matt paint finish - there's a few on e-bay too.
We're off to St Anton tomorrow. I'm hoping we won't have to find out how well they work.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
MazDave, we're off to St Anton tomorrow, too, by train. If I see a pair of Aldi helmets whizzing past, I'll shout.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought this one: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/uvex_ski__freeride_helmet_x_ride/ this year simply because (in size XXL) it was the only one that fitted me. Been happy with it ever since. snowHead
ski holidays
Richmond - I'll look out for anyone shouting at us........ Snow looks good Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Ski Guide wrote:
david@mediacopy wrote:

Superb, 85 runs open with fantastic conditions in the morning, very warm in the afternoon at the moment but that does not detract from how good the skiing is.

Cool
ski holidays
hmmm ..... Just spent E114,95 on an Alpina ... Was quite pleased with it now all I'll be doing is thinking of Aldi!! Somebody will tell me I could have bought my new boots from Tesco value next!!
latest report
boyo, at least you won't have me shouting at you in St Anton. That's got to be worth €100 minimum.
ski holidays
boyo,

Lidl does £7 helmets as well.. Toofy Grin

if you're lucky enough to find some left..
snow conditions
Thanks that makes me feel much better Twisted Evil
snow conditions
boyo wrote:
Thanks that makes me feel much better Twisted Evil

Don't be too upset. Kruisler got it wrong. The Lidl helmet isn't £7; it is £7.99 Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy