Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to get skis serviced

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I want to get my skis serviced before I head out to Canada in a few weeks. I live in central london and see that you can take your skis to Ellis Brigham (and I think they send them to their workshop in Milton Keynes) or 47 Degrees offer servicing too. Has anyone used either of these? I figure I should just go for a full service in any case?

Thanks

Tweed88
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not just get them done in resort?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why a "full" service?

Do they have massive gouges in the base?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Kermit, is it better to get it done in resort? I am going to Banff. Think I will arrive in resort at about 5-6pm. Do you think they can service them overnight?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A "premium service" at EB includes the following:

PREMIUM TEN STEP SERVICE £35.00

1. Full inspection by our certified technicians.
2. Base clean to cleanse the pores of your base.
3. Belt grind to exfoliate dirt and correct minor base damage.
4. Industrial filled gouges to cover up those thin snow sins.
5. Fine belt grind to achieve that satin finish.
6. Stone grind to add direction, structure and further improve gliding qualities.
7. Sharpen and bevel edges to our tried and tested angles (personalised angles also available, please speak to the technicians).
8. De-tune edges under your exact specifications, to provide the smoothness of ride you want.
9. Hand crafted hot wax for the ultimate penetration, protection & finish.
10. Check, polish and pack to ensure your skis remain in pristine condition for your next blast down the hill.

I used them for only three weeks last year but they took quite a beating as snow cover was poor and had a few issues with rocks off piste. There are some gouges but not through to the base. One gouge has exposed the metal mesh type stuff near the edge of one of the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They sound like mine.

I'd just get them to fill that big gouge in, then polish the edges and hot wax.

Up to you though, it won't save you too much money but you don't need to grind them every service nor after a minor repair.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tweed88, Make sure you get edges done to specifications for your skiis - NOT to general settings that EB decide to do em to.

There is a thread somewhere on servicing - well worth a look.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tweed88 wrote:
A "premium service" at EB includes the following:

1. Full inspection by our certified technicians.
2. Base clean to cleanse the pores of your base.
3. Belt grind to exfoliate dirt and correct minor base damage.
4. Industrial filled gouges to cover up those thin snow sins.
5. Fine belt grind to achieve that satin finish.
6. Stone grind to add direction, structure and further improve gliding qualities.
7. Sharpen and bevel edges to our tried and tested angles (personalised angles also available, please speak to the technicians).
8. De-tune edges under your exact specifications, to provide the smoothness of ride you want.
9. Hand crafted hot wax for the ultimate penetration, protection & finish.
10. Check, polish and pack to ensure your skis remain in pristine condition for your next blast down the hill.

I used them for only three weeks last year but they took quite a beating as snow cover was poor and had a few issues with rocks off piste. There are some gouges but not through to the base. One gouge has exposed the metal mesh type stuff near the edge of one of the skis.

That's a helluva lot of grinding Shocked
Shaped skis shouldn't be detuned rolling eyes
The EB store at MK has a waxing machine so you won't get a "hand crafted hot wax"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tweed88, - send a personal message to spyderjon, (or visit his website) he is the Snowhead Guru of ski tuning. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If spyderjon can't help, you'll most probably get a better deal in Banff looking at shops I've seen in Canada. BTW, you're a lucky g*t snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, do NOT trust a service in Banff without a good recommendation. As a ski tech, I thought for my wedding day I would treat myself and had my skis dropped in to a shop for servicing. Won't say the shop name, but it was recommended to me, and proceeded to tune my Atomic skis as if they were a pair of Rossignols, as thats all they seem capable of tuning, and as a result I became the worlds worst skier until that evening, when I cracked open my tuning kit (After promising my wife of 1 day I wouldnt) and undid the mess!

If spyderjon is a little too far I am South of London near Horsham.

Hope you have/had a great trip, I loved it ou there.

ScottyDog
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tweed88, A trip on the branch line to Battlesbridge would put you on top of Skee-Tex in they have a large ski service department - http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tweed88,

Ultimate in Banff do an excellent full service - ask for their high performance tune. They will certainly be able to do your service overnight and will deliver your skis to your hotel ready for you first thing next morning.

- They are located on Banff Avenue, just up the road from the Mount Royal Hotel.

They were recommended to me by a CSIA Level 4 instructor (actually a CSIA examiner) who said that they were the only people he allowed to touch his skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia, Are you sure it was Ultimate and not Unlimited ? Still on Banff Ave - i ws sent there by a Race coach from the Norquay team. Apparently alberta province ski racers take em there when they are in town Toofy Grin Ultimate just run em through the standard grind machine regardless which is next door.

Tweed88, If you do take em to Unlimited - Banff Ave near Safeway, ask to see Mike although hes usually there. He can tell how you ski and how good you are from looking at the bases. When I took ours there he looked at SWMBO's skis and told me how she skied - he knew it was a woman even tho she was elsewhere shopping - and she uses gents skis !! Full service was $45 and well worth it.
Drop em off when you get there, and they will be done before close 10 pm. They offer this as they dont open until 9 am which can be a bit late Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys - sorry for thread resurrection, but I need to get my skis tuned before heading to Saas Fee this summer. They are Whitedot Ones, and brand new - never been touched.Spending a week on an aerial course, so needs someone who understands the sort of tune required for that (presumably not too agressive, as I'll be landing at all sorts of funny angles?!)

Any recommendations in South/Central London...
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, Not sure you need much of a tune on brand new skis. Maybe give them a hot wax yourself. Depends on your attitude to perfection though.
snow report
Harry Flashman, Just make sure there is no hanging burr on the edges, and give them a good wax, the more waxing the better
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, a hot wax (or two or three or four) is all that's required - as it say's on the Whitedot label on the ski base. The Whitedot edges are great out of the wrapper.

Usually it's a big no-no to be detuning tips'n'tails but if you're going to be doing a lot of park work then the propensity to catch an edge is far greater so I'd consider that. I wouldn't detune before you've skied them so you could take either an alu-oxide or gummi stone with you (also great for removing skiing burrs when you're there) so you could just do a few strokes at a time to see how they perform.

A better solution to detuning is to add more base edge angle at the tips'n'tails as this removes the catchiness & gives a progressive edge engagement but still retains full length sharpeness. This needs to be done by an experienced hand tuner & most shops are not as they usually just perform their standard machine service.

A couple of things re the One's: the label on the base say they have a 1 degree base angle & a 3 degree side edge angle. Unfortunately the factory made an error & set the edges to 1 base & a 1 side. This is no big deal, especially for a park ski, so just leave them at that. The other thing is for a lot of aerial work you should mount them on the centre line as opposed to the FR line. If you want to use the skis for all mountain use then either use the Marker Schizo binding which can be slid back & forth or Quiver Killer inserts can be installed in to the ski to allow for a dual park & all mtn use.

There's a couple of people I'd can recommend to you that have the skills for above work:
- George Buchanan at http://www.gbskiservicing.co.uk & although he's in north London he can collect/deliver to central London.
- Or if you can travel south to Partridge Green go & see Scott or Harry at http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk or send at PM to scottydog on this forum.
ski holidays
Thanks all - so helpful!

I have the schizo bindings especially for skiing switch and being in the park. Good advice on the edges - they are in nice condition (and 1 degree/1 degree - I checked), so may just detune them slightly myself if required after my first morning. I'm Ok at doing edges myself to be honest - have always tuned my rental skis myself to get the best out of them.

What I have never done is hot waxing though. Is this easy to do without damaging new skis? If so (and if anyone can recommend some online instructions), hapy to buy the kit and do this myself at home (assume I need an old iron, correct (summer) wax and a plastic scraper. Obviously no need for grinding/filling, as the skis are brand new...
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, Have a trawl through Jon's site. He sells everything you could need and has some online guides on it too. Even better go along and take one of his lessons, very worthwhile.
snow report
Harry Flashman, hot waxing is probably the easiest bit.

But clearing dripped wax off the kitchen table is much more difficult!!
snow report
Harry Flashman, if your skis are brand new and you plan on doing any rails/boxes, on the first few days, it could be worth getting your edges detuned underfoot. But in anycase if you don't do any detuning and just ski on them for a few days they will be naturally detune and the skis will slide just fine. Its just that edges on brand new skis can be rather catchy on rails/boxes.

But it sounds as though you actually care for your new skis, so you probably won't do any of the above anyway! Just checking.
snow conditions
Hi I'm gbskiservicing, spyderjon, thank you for the steer Very Happy , if you don't fancy giving them a wax your self give me a call of PM me. Jon has taught me everything I know!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 19-04-14 23:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
radar wrote:
Jon has taught me everything I know!

Oh dear! wink
latest report
Quote:

Harry Flashman, if your skis are brand new and you plan on doing any rails/boxes, on the first few days, it could be worth getting your edges detuned underfoot. But in anycase if you don't do any detuning and just ski on them for a few days they will be naturally detune and the skis will slide just fine. Its just that edges on brand new skis can be rather catchy on rails/boxes.

Shame, but true.
snow conditions
Thanks chaps - wasn't planning on boxes/rails: more the aerial stuff. But in any case, if I spend a day on rails, I shall probably rent some cheapies rather than trash my lovely new skis!

After all your advice, I read Jon's website (amazing!), bought the kit to take care of them myself, and shall do so! Cue lots of wax all over my nice wooden floors next week...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy