Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living in the UK is anti-skiing (Rant) EDIT> apart from Scotland where life is brilliant!

Poster: A snowHead
I can't take it anymore and i want to leave please!

Scenario: It is snowing, the cam on Cham' is white, a flight out to Turin leaving Thurs and coming back Monday will cost £85. It will be a perfect powder 4 days. 3 days off work not a major problem.....

So far so good.

But then, can't take skis as then prices increase, so hire $, lift pass for 4 days $$$$, accomodation/food $$, transfer $, spending money $$

All in all ~ £500 of which i cannot afford.

Life in Italy, Switz, Austria, France are so so so much more conducive to skiing. It is just the case of rounding a few mates up jumping in a car and 3 hours later max you are pulling into a resort. I am seriously questioning why I am still in this country when all I want to do is ski Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-02-08 13:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum, Right decided .... its relocation time. Over summer 2008 we will look at total relocation to France, please if come Aug I have not made any plans would somebody point to this thread and kick my ass into action.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum, i think finding 500 quid may be slightly less hassle and a lot cheaper..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum,

Count yourself lucky living close to the Alps. Think about the poor soul living in South East Asia or Middle East.
latest report
 brian
brian
plectrum, please change the title to England, those of us at the pointy end of the UK have found some good snow so far this year.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with saikee!! I took up skiing when I was in University, loved it, did 3 weeks in one season and then had to go back to Singapore - no snow there!

A ski trip involved: a week off at least, flights at £500 at least, plus all the same extras you have to pay, so you're looking at £1K per person at least, plus the Singapore dollar is 3 times smaller than the £ (meaning the trip costs 3 times more).... the result is that I did not ski for the 4 yrs I was there..... Shocked

I feel lucky to be back in the UK - 2 trips planned this season.... Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plectrum, learn the language and move abroad then. But be warned that it has its downsides and nor is it as easy as it looks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, You just need to make it happen Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plectrum, You know what you have to do sell everything you own (Except your ski gear) and move to the alps. Make sure your accomidation has a spare room. Then post your address on Snow heads so we can all go crash on your floor Toofy Grin Seriosly go live the dream if you really want to Its the ownly way wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
plectrum, do it! But don't expect to move to the mountains and find that the locals have been waiting for you to come along with your business idea ( like no one has ever thought of opening up a photo shop in St.Anton, or there simply are no Cafes in Kitzbuehel) rolling eyes On the other hand there is plenty of 'normal' work to be had in France, Switzerland, Austria and Bavaria ( Munich ) especially if you are a banking bod, a computer bod, or an insurance bod. I know lots of ex-pats out here, they can't all be wrong Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, I feel so sorry for those guys surfing in Fiji or sunning in the Maldives! I know what you mean though 'be thankful for what you got'!

brian, I will adjust the title you lucky, lucky bug Smile

Lizzard, Je parle, je parle, la probleme c'est que ma femme qui a le metier sérieux ne parle pas francais.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang, No bank, no comp, no insura. It is not dramatic though as perhaps if I invest £3k in language lessons for my other half then we are fine. She is in water resources and environmental consultancy and has employment opportunities all over the world.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum,
Quote:
She is in water resources and environmental consultancy and has employment opportunities all over the world
even better. She works and you ski. This plan can't go wrong Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, she could get bored with looking after a freeloader and ditch him?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum wrote:
I can't take it anymore and i want to leave please!

Scenario: It is snowing, the cam on Cham' is white, a flight out to Turin leaving Thurs and coming back Monday will cost £85. It will be a perfect powder 4 days. 3 days off work not a major problem.....

So far so good.

But then, can't take skis as then prices increase, so hire $, lift pass for 4 days $$$$, accomodation/food $$, transfer $, spending money $$

Life in Italy, Switz, Austria, France are so so so much more conducive to skiing. It is just the case of rounding a few mates up jumping in a car and 3 hours later max you are pulling into a resort. I am seriously questioning why I am still in this country when all I want to do is ski Sad

Wait a minute. What's the advantage of living in France? All you save is the £85 flight! OK, ski gear hiring or carrage charges. You still have to have a roof and bed, plus food, lift pass, and "spending money". The bulk of the cost is still the same. I don't quite get it...
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:

Bang it on a 0% creditcard.
latest report
abc wrote:

Wait a minute. What's the advantage of living in France? All you save is the £85 flight! OK, ski gear hiring or carrage charges. You still have to have a roof and bed, plus food, lift pass, and "spending money". The bulk of the cost is still the same. I don't quite get it...[/quote]

I was just about to say exactly the same!!
snow report
brian wrote:
plectrum, please change the title to England, those of us at the pointy end of the UK have found some good snow so far this year.

Actually, change the title to ....well.......those in England who can't be bothered wink

5 of us managed to get good snow having driven up from England a few weeks back. I had the shortest journey and I still live a good 5 hours drive south of Glasgow.
latest report
Well it might be that £500 is too much for him, while the £400 that it would be without the flight and ski hire would be just about affordable. It's 20% cheaper.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
abc wrote:

Wait a minute. What's the advantage of living in France? All you save is the £85 flight! OK, ski gear hiring or carrage charges. You still have to have a roof and bed, plus food, lift pass, and "spending money". The bulk of the cost is still the same. I don't quite get it...

No extra roof and bed costs, transfer cost is just the fuel (assuming he'd run a car out there), no gear hire, lift pass is now a cost effective season pass. All in all, he'll get much more skiing for the same outlay.
ski holidays
Quote:

3 hours later max you are pulling into a resort

You may wish to look at a map. Huge swathes of France are significantly more than three hours from a ski resort. Laughing
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
plectrum wrote:

Before Lizzard goes apoplectic at your silly attempt at trolling her ( although she's undoubtedly wise enough to ignore ) .... let me add ....

**** off and stop being a Tosser ...
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
plectrum wrote:

Buy now pay later, just keep swapping to othe 0% credit cards Wink yum yum
latest report
GordonFreeman, you know what they say about fools and their money. Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
Lizzard wrote:
Huge swathes of France are significantly more than three hours from a ski resort.

Yeah, but he's not going to relocate to any of them, is he ? rolling eyes Unless he's deeply mad of course.
snow conditions
brian wrote:
No extra roof and bed costs, transfer cost is just the fuel (assuming he'd run a car out there), no gear hire, lift pass is now a cost effective season pass. All in all, he'll get much more skiing for the same outlay.

What "extra" roof and bed cost?

Unless you're implying he'll be living IN the resort, or at least within day trip distance of a resort. But that's not exactly what I thought of "living in France/Italy/...".

If that's the case, it's not about England vs. France/Italy/Austria. It's about living in the mountains (and shoveling snow, driving in mud and slip-sliding getting to your car in the freezing morning, etc).
snow conditions
 brian
brian
abc, there are plenty of cities in day trip distance. Geneva, Grenoble, Milan, Zurich, etc etc.
snow report
abc, I live in the mountains and i never have to dig the car out or slide about in the morning. It's all about altitude (or lack thereof).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only sliding about we do is on skis.
snow report
brian wrote:
abc, there are plenty of cities in day trip distance. Geneva, Grenoble, Milan, Zurich, etc etc.

brian, I live "within day trip distance of skiing" too. Perhaps from Grenoble or maybe Geneva you can do "day trips". The rest of the cities are 2 hours or more away from the mountains. I doubt anyone really wants to drive all the way home on Saturday evening and then drive to the slope again on Sunday morning if they have any choice at all. So the cost of roof and bed (and food) are really not saved.
snow report
abc wrote:
brian wrote:

Perhaps from Grenoble or maybe Geneva you can do "day trips". The rest of the cities are 2 hours or more away from the mountains..

.. Think you should leave the geography lessons to Brian , as he is correct, Wink ... he could also have added :- Turin, Nice, Cannes, Marseilles ..... Bern, Munich, Salzburg .....etc. as they say .... and public transport to many as well....
latest report
abc, Beg to differ...Milan & Zurich both are very day trippable...Zurich even all the way on integrated public transport! But I do agree in principle with what you're saying...
snow report
Quote:

Zurich even all the way on integrated public transport

Indeed, train arriving in Klosters at 8.30am the other Saturday was absolutely jam-packed with people from Zurich.
snow conditions
Well, perhaps my geography is a bit rusty. But last time I checked, train from Zurich to Klosters is over 2 hours. And the cost of the public transport isn't exactly cheap even compare with the flight from England either. (granted, the flight was on top of the ground transfer)

Now, if there're a lot of people who's willing to travel 2 hours each way to ski a single day, I'm guilty of being ignorant. (Because I actually do the same once in a while, I do feel it's NOT an effective way to increase skiing days) On the other hand, if one is indeed so fanatical, then maybe £500 for 4 days of skiing isn't exactly that bad?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

... then move to france...they never find you..perfect
latest report
There's a fast train from London to MK for the Xscape - or isn't that quite enough?
snow report
abc, - Closer resorts to Zurich than Klosters , it was used as an example of folks day-tripping.

Public transport is dirt cheap -- especially if you use a 'Swiss-ski-and-travel-pass' ( includes piste access), or your 1/2 price travel pass .... no idea where you get £125 - a- day from ?????? ...... and many of the cities listed are less than 2 hours .... heck, it can easily take an hour from chalet / condo to lifts in some places.
snow conditions
Agenterre,
Quote:

it was used as an example of folks day-tripping

Indeed, and was used as an example precisely because it's two hours away - people still want to do it, in droves, not least because the train is clean, comfortable and cheap.
ski holidays
plectrum, it's possible to go skiing for a day to the French Alps from London if you don't mind a couple of slightly uncomfortable nights on a train. On the other hand those people who are truly passionate about skiing do take major career and personal decisions and re-locate. I suppose it depends on how keen you are. Do it, I say. You can always come back to the UK if it doesn't work out.
latest report
Quote:

no idea where you get £125 - a- day from ??????

The first post of the thread.

So it seems folks do these sort of things OFTEN. I guess I'm wrong. Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy