Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Public enemy binding - railflex or marker?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible / recommended to put a railflex plate on a K2 PE?
...or are the Markers best?
Just wondering about whether ailflex's will give more choice in the future between swapping bindings between skis...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest going with Vist plates if you're wanting to swap bindings.
If you want to use the skis with one set of bindings, I'd suggest Look PX12 or the Rossi equivalent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Markers on my PE's, no complaints.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, Railflex is a type of Tyrolia made rail mounted bindings but you can't buy the rail seperate from the toe & heel pieces so they're not interchangeable between skis.

As Foxy says the only interchangeable plate system in the VIST Speedlock system. Ideally you'd flat mount on a wide ski as the plate height can add unwanted leverage off-piste but it does help when on-piste. Other benefits of the Speedlock system for UK based users is that volume/weight is greatly reduced when travelling with two pairs of skis & only one set of bindings. You can also play around with the fore/aft binding location. From a cost point of view two pairs of Speedlock plates & one pair of Speeedlock bindings is only slightly cheaper than two pairs of quality conventional bindings. Most of my Speedlock customers are racers who usually have multiple pairs of plated skis (ie 2 pairs SL's & 2 pairs GS's) & one pair bindings which saves them quite a bit of cash but makes carriage waaay easier.

Who said Marker's are the best? Marker's get a hard rap from high end skiers (check out TGR), particularly models with the biometric toe piece which can apparently be prone to pre-release but there are also thousands of owners out there who get on with them just fine. You have the choice of any flat mounted binding for the PE's but for off-piste use you really want a higher end (metal not plastic) model for durability etc - something like the my VIST Free's, Foxy's PX12's or the Sallie Z12's etc. You also need to choose a make/model that is obtainable with the right width brakes.

EDITED, as per post below.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-02-08 14:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:

Who said Marker's are the best? Marker's get a hard rap from high end skiers (check out TGR), particularly models with the non biometric toe piece which can apparently be prone to pre-release but there are also thousands of owners out there who get on with them just fine. You have the choice of any flat mounted binding for the PE's but for off-piste use you really want a higher end (metal not plastic) model for durability etc - something like the my VIST Free's, Foxy's PX12's or the Sallie Z12's etc. You also need to choose a make/model that is obtainable with the right width brakes.

IIRC, it's the biometic toes that are the issue - they prerelease often. I've walked out of my carvers with a Marker/Nordica hostage plate on din 12 with no reason besides a high g turn, while I can't ever think of a time I've walked out of my P14s or released unnessicarily and I ski those at 10.

Unless you really need interchangeable bindings, you're much better off with a flat mounted binding, preferably Solly/Rossi/Look.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very pleased with my Rossi bindings on my Missions. Release when they should. Don't when they shouldn't.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
GordonFreeman, Railflex is a type of Tyrolia made rail mounted bindings but you can't buy the rail seperate from the toe & heel pieces so they're not interchangeable between skis.

Not strictly true I'm afraid. You can purchase Tyrolia railflex bindings online as well as the actual railflex plates (I got them from levelninesports.com for $10) and mount them on flat skis. This enables me to change bindings between skis, change the front-aft setting and transport the skis without bindings (and putting a second pair of skis in a single ski bag snowHead ).

Having said that, if you don't need interchangeability or forward-backwards adjustment, there is no real need for plates-based bindings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC, Embarassed. My typo. You are of course correct re it being the biometric toe pieces that have come under question. I've edited my post accordingly.

My understanding is that the biometric toe piece has an easily activated vertical release function designed for beginners-intermediates that is prone to release during heavy or rapid flexing of the ski (ie high speed carving or aggressively ski bumps etc) & is therefore more prone to this occurance for heavier users.

skibomb, Really I didn't know that Railflex plates were available seperately. I'm pretty sure the UK distributors don't have them available seperately so thanks for the supplier link.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, owing to the fact it's possible, would it be recommended or does the Tyrolia raise it too high?
Of the ones I have seen on offer they almost always list them with a Marker 12 or Marker 11
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Last I checked Levelnine officially don't ship to the UK according to their website, but they are a good bunch of guys to deal with and will ship here. I couldnt find the plates on this side of the atlantic either (in fact, had a hard time even getting the actual bindings through Head), so that's how I ended up at levelnine.

GordonFreeman, I posted a guide on mounting them at TGR: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78874 Whether you like the stack height or not is a personal issue; I didn't mind myself, but there are moments that I am considering replacing them with a Salomon Z12, due to the combined weight of the plates and bindings.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With regard to stack height, many serious off-piste skiers always slated the Speedlock plates due to the added leverage. Interestingly many of these same voices are now on Dukes which has about the same stack height as a plate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, True Very Happy What's the stack height of the speedlock plates?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy