Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hakuba, Japan - any advice or suggestions ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Hakuba from 21st to the 28th feb & am wondering if any snowheads have any advice or suggestions on pistes to ski, restaurants to visit, places to avoid, japanese apres -ski etc indeed anything to make the trip easier & more enjoyable
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look on travel forum on Aussie Ski forum .. lots of Japan-related stuff there.

http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3&page=1

I spent a week in Hakuba in feb 2005 - lots of fun but named 'Hakuba Beach' by end of week. In good snow, would be excellent. Just remember - be careful off piste - no patroling.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gortonator,

thanks , looks like some interesting stuff on that forum. As for the snow, I'm just keeping the fingers crossed, & the off-piste is not a ( deliberate ) option as I'm very much a piste basher !

do you remember any particular bars or restaurants ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Hakuba in Jan last year and had a fantastic time. Took up snowboarding for the first time after being skiing a few time previously. There we 3 lads in our group and we stayed in a little place called PETITE HOTEL HAMAC. Not really a hotel as such but rather a bed and breakfast. The price was very reasonable and the breakfast was very good. We had an evening meal there on the last night and it was excellent. We looked for the après ski but didn’t find any worth a mention but entertained ourselves in a few of the relatively empty bars. One in particular was in Hakuba village and had a Cuban theme, particularly well. The food can be hit and miss but we were lucky most nights. There is a variety of restaurants and the Mexican near the foot of the largest mountain - Happo One - is quite good.

The snow conditions were the best I've ever had the pleasure of. The poor visibility on occasion didn't last for long and brought the welcome fresh snow. There are a number of resorts cover in the mountain pass we got but our 6 days were spent between Happo One (Site main Olympic site), Hakuba 47 and Iwatake. The first evening we arrived we went to Happo One to do some night snowboarding to get into the swing of things. This was New Year’s Day and we had been awake 48hrs from partying in Tokyo the night before. The snow conditions on the lower slopes of Happo One can get compacted and icy if there is any wind so head for the higher regions towards the sheltered back of the mountain to avail of the better powder. There seemed to be more ski in Happo One than the other two resorts. Hakuba 47 suited as we progressed quickly from challenging blues to the reds. There is a good variety in Hakuba 47 with tree lined narrow runs to large open expanses all with good powder runs suiting all levels of expertise. Iwatake is a more quite resort with a family feel. This is a good resort for intermediates and more challenges back mountain with long runs.

A very valid point
Quote:

off-piste is not a (deliberate) option

I found that there are very few/no safety barriers or markers indicating that areas are off piste. Usually I wouldn’t consider this a prob in European resorts as its clear what isn't groomed etc etc but Hakuba was lovely fresh snow every day! Saying that, there was nobody being karted down injured like I have seen so many times in Europe.

The slopes are not busy and the lifts are in good order! Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My advice for Hakuba - don't eat Salted Fish Guts for breakfast.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BoardStiffRed, bad_roo, thanks guys, but I posted this feb '08, so not sure how it sprang up again. Needless to say I had a great time over there & would happily return if it were closer & cheaper to get to.........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love the place. Did you manage to get to Hakuba Cortina Kokusei up at the head of the valley? Tree skiing heaven. Never been anywhere like it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bad_roo, no, just 47, one & iwatke , but there was that much fresh snow you didn't have to go off piste to find it ! not up to the tree skiing level yet - at least not deliberately !!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic place, will def have to return wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy