Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets compulsory ?

Poster: A snowHead
EddandSam,
Quote:

death - Learn to live with it.

Best quote on this site for ages. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
uktrailmonster wrote:
bloxy wrote:

My conclusion is helmets may be a good idea if you want to avoid minor injuries and there is a view that all reducible risks should be reduced but how far do you go? I can live with the small risk of a bump,graze or cut. What is clear from the evidence is that a ski helmet is not going to save my life or my brain in a major collision. So on balance I will not be buying or wearing one.

But what about the downhill racer a few weeks ago who smacked his head on the ice? How do you reckon he would have got on without a helmet?
If helmets only protect against minor bumps, why do racers even wear them at all?

He wasn't wearing a standard Giro type ski helmet! A full downhill race helmet is more akin to a motorcycle helmet and will usually be custom made. Take a look at http://www.jasminalpine.co.uk/alpina_downhill_ski_helmet_id28.html for an idea of a Super G/Slalom helmet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bloxy, are recreational helmets like Giro certified to different standards than helmets used by downhillers and other racers?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, In addition to the FIS ICR guidance, the rules as per the FIS Equipment
Regulations are:
The use of crash helmets is compulsory for all events.
Only helmets are permitted whose shell and padding cover the head and
ears. The National Ski Associations are advised to provide their teams
only with crash helmets which satisfy the minimum requirements and
which have been certified by recognised institutes.
Helmets with spoilers or edges that stick out are not permitted.
Certain helmets must show a smooth top surface for safety reasons.
Helmets used in FIS Snowsports shall be specifically designed and
manufactured for the particular discipline and shall bear a CE mark and
conform to recognized and appropriate standards such as CEH.Din 1077,
ASTM F2040, SNELL S98 or RS 98, etc.

The main difference between a recreational 'Giro' type helmet and an FIS 'POC' typr helmet is that on the race helmet the outer shell forms the structure, whereas on the recreational it's the liner that offers most of the protection.
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
rob@rar wrote:
bloxy, are recreational helmets like Giro certified to different standards than helmets used by downhillers and other racers?

Yes.

One of the problems with all ski helmets is the lack of:

a) definition of what the helmet is protecting from
b) a uniform defined standard.

Have a read of this; http://geartrends.com/geartrends/upload/winter_ch5.3.pdf
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
Spyderman wrote:

conform to recognized and appropriate standards such as CEH.Din 1077,
ASTM F2040, SNELL S98 or RS 98, etc.

CE 1077 was developed in Europe for race helmets in the 1980s and is now regarded as outdated and worthless. There is a Snell standard for which applies to race helmets but:

Again a problem of standards in relation to recreational ski helmets;

"Even when a manufacturer touts it has met a certain standard, what gets glossed over
is that the CEN standard (CE 1077) is dangerously outdated, the ASTM standard (F2040)
has serious weak points, and the entire industry has abandoned the rigorous Snell
standard (RS 98)."

Last edited by bloxy on Mon 11-02-08 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bloxy, thanks, interesting link.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bloxy wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
bloxy wrote:

My conclusion is helmets may be a good idea if you want to avoid minor injuries and there is a view that all reducible risks should be reduced but how far do you go? I can live with the small risk of a bump,graze or cut. What is clear from the evidence is that a ski helmet is not going to save my life or my brain in a major collision. So on balance I will not be buying or wearing one.

But what about the downhill racer a few weeks ago who smacked his head on the ice? How do you reckon he would have got on without a helmet?
If helmets only protect against minor bumps, why do racers even wear them at all?

He wasn't wearing a standard Giro type ski helmet! A full downhill race helmet is more akin to a motorcycle helmet and will usually be custom made. Take a look at http://www.jasminalpine.co.uk/alpina_downhill_ski_helmet_id28.html for an idea of a Super G/Slalom helmet.

I just looked at that. This race helmet meets the CE standard you then go on to rubbish in your later post?
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
Quote:

I just looked at that. This race helmet meets the CE standard you then go on to rubbish in your later post?

(Bear in mind that even the helmet in the case you referred to failed and came off and the racer suffered a serious concussion.)

That's the problem.

Whilst the standard for race helmets higher than the average punters helmet, all of the standards are disparate and flawed.

The Snell standard is about the best at the moment but recreational helmets can't be made to meet it so manufacturers have abandoned it.

There are some articles in the British Journal of Sports Medicine which suggest current helmet technology is inadequate to provide protection for skiing at the speeds achieved even by recreational skiers. A helmet robust and strong enough would simply be too bulky and heavy.

So for all those who want helmets made compulsory, just what are you going to make compulsory?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bloxy wrote:
Quote:

(Bear in mind that even the helmet in the case you referred to failed and came off and the racer suffered a serious concussion.)

Without the helmet I reckon he could well have been dead now. Obviously I have no scientific proof, but it just seems pretty obvious from the initial impact. What do you reckon? In my own experiece I've personally crash tested a few mountain bike helmets over the years and one Dainese ski helmet and they've all done a great job of preventing possible concussion and in at least one case serious cuts.

The article you link to concerning the lack of coherent safety standards is very interesting, but I don't think it's intended to put people off wearing a helmet. I think the better branded helmets from the likes of Giro, Dainese etc are likely to offer a useful level of protection providing they fit properly. Certainly a step up from a beanie at least!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Odin wrote:
EddandSam,
Quote:

death - Learn to live with it.

Best quote on this site for ages. Madeye-Smiley

Glad you liked it!

A small sense or irony! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
has anybody seen the Ribcap Impact Protection Beanie - stumbled accross this thread and just thought i'd mention it considering your last point. It will clearly be better than a beanie and at least they dont claim it will save your life

"protect you against bumps, bruises, grazes, etc..."

Ribcap Beanie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dave s, I've seen similar protective beanie type hats in "building trade" catalogues. Not quite sure what the differences between them and "Ribcaps" are though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thats America. Nearly all resort skiing is on private & forestry land, they can introduce laws like that easy & being the USA they will.

It will never happen in Europe. OK they may stop you from riding the lifts but Europes mountains are Free to ski for everyone with or without helmets or for that mater any safety equipment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave s, what a great idea.. especially the one that has a balaclava bit
ski holidays
Quote:

especially the one that has a balaclava bit

Yes, it will make "DOING" a bank safer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
achilles wrote:
parallel lines, interesting. Dr Langran concludes that helmets will not protect you if you have a high speed impact - so I am unclear how likely it would be that a helmet would save you from a coma - though I guess it is just possible. OTOH I have seen a friend fall head first on his back down a black slope mogul field for about 800 feet - and it was the major factor in me buying one. I think it could prevent some discomfort and make such a fall slightly less stressful. I was also glad of it when skiing through the trees at La Grave - but again I did not think it would save me from major injury.

Same for seat belts, there probably not going to save your life if you hit the wall at 100+ mph but if you hit the wall at 30 your not going to smash your skull on the steering wheel. However consider a low speed fall onto ice or rock or some bit of machinery its going to do its job. My helmet has on more than one occasion, a few of them my fault, a few not. Its a choice but I would rather mitigate my risk of cracking my skull open as much as I can.
snow conditions
@lordf, Have a look at the age of this thread.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lordf wrote:
achilles wrote:
parallel lines, interesting. Dr Langran concludes that helmets will not protect you if you have a high speed impact - so I am unclear how likely it would be that a helmet would save you from a coma - though I guess it is just possible. OTOH I have seen a friend fall head first on his back down a black slope mogul field for about 800 feet - and it was the major factor in me buying one. I think it could prevent some discomfort and make such a fall slightly less stressful. I was also glad of it when skiing through the trees at La Grave - but again I did not think it would save me from major injury.

Same for seat belts, there probably not going to save your life if you hit the wall at 100+ mph but if you hit the wall at 30 your not going to smash your skull on the steering wheel. However consider a low speed fall onto ice or rock or some bit of machinery its going to do its job. My helmet has on more than one occasion, a few of them my fault, a few not. Its a choice but I would rather mitigate my risk of cracking my skull open as much as I can.

Helmet wearers are such a clumsy lot. Always banging their heads and falling over.

Perhaps skiing isn't for them.

Would be safer for everyone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to, when I had a child and he learned to ski he questioned why I wasn't wearing one, and I didn't have an answer. Now it seems weird to not ski with one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy