Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sarenne-how hard is it?

Poster: A snowHead
There are 12 of us going to Alpe d'huez on sat-obviously can't wait! We are all pretty good intermediates with a fair amount of stamina, would we be able to cope with this run? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably. There is a very short steep pitch at the top which is steep but wide. Thereafter it is no more than a red, IMV. Attractive run, though. ADH is a nice resort, enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So long as you dont mind the 'road' at the end and you arent boarders as they might end wallking a bit then as achilles, says you should be ok.

We hit one part of blue ice on it in a narrow section but apart from that it was relatively fine, its steeper than it looks in the photo tho wink

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CREVASSE _07 due to to no of people who do the run the snow can get a bit thin and you may well find lots of moguls on it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles description concurs with my own experience.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Did this run last week and, as has been said above, the top section is the worst but after that it is more like a red. Lower down there are numerous small stones on the piste which could cause a nasty gouge if you're not careful.

If any of your group aren't up the the full sarenne then you can join it just below the steep pitch by going up the Marmottes 1, 2 and 3 lifts to 3060m. All our group came down from the top inc one guy who was on his 3rd week, could be a different story if it is very icy, though it doesn't look as if it will be.

There is a bar towards the bottom to for that well earned beer snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont do it with your own skis, gets very patchy. It felt like a survival course for my skis went I went down, can't say I'd repeat it unless there was no one else on it..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it likely to be open/complete in the second week of April? I am there 5-12th.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i done it a few years ago on about april 20 (give or take a day or two) though that was after some heavy snow as was shut before, and then it closed two days later.I think it really depends if you get late snow ....i enjoyed it and apart from the top bit it was an easy cruise
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its all reletive, but it isn't that much fun. Too long means it hasn't got any interesting bits in and the run out just kills it off.

Far from seeking it out, I'd avoid it like the plague...hugely overrated and for no good reason that I can see.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just returned from Alpe D'Huez, am quite a fan. IMO Sarenne is a great run, top is black/red and becomes red then blue, nice to do a big drop without lots of lifts, did the run on Friday in light powder, only two of us on the piste for much of the run due to cloud on top, fantastic. Go up onto Signal De L'Homme from the Louvets lift at the bottom and consider doing the Col de Cluy black down, only discovered this on the last day. Big moguls.

Another run that is nice is the Les Rousses red followed by Chalets and then La Fare black into Vaujany. You could preface this with the Tunnel, in my opinion this is do-able but the rewards to effort isn't that great.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DavidYacht,

Nice one and welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I second the La fare black as worth doing. For me the best run of last week and not many on it either so the snow holds up well.

Was going to mention use hire skis on the sarenne. I did and glad that I did looking at the bases afterwards. Worth doing once or twice but I agree it's not one of the best runs I've ever done. Marketing hype? Probably.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best thing about the Sarenne is the restaurant at the bottom by the first linking chair back to AdH. The mustard rabbit is very good. The skiing is not especially difficult (i.e. potentially unpisted steep red run for the first pitch) and pretty forgettable but there are stunning views over towards LDA, La Meije and the mountains above Clavans whose names elude me. If you do intend to go up the Pic Blanc and have a look at the view then it is easily the most accessible route down from the top. On the other hand there is a ton of better skiing in AdH - it would be a good place to hire a moniteur and get them to show you some of the lesser skied parts of the resort. Hope you enjoy yourselves.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When we did an "over-rated runs" thread it got lots of votes.
snow conditions
people seem so mad for doing the sarenne that they overlook the glacier area up there which has lots of nice skiing. the sarenne is a nice run, IMO. it feels quite away from it all (you can't see any lifts for a lot of it) and it gives an idea of what real mountain skiing is like (if you took away all the other people and the piste markers anyway). just don't expect it to be very difficult
snow report
I agree with what you say Arno, we did it in Jan on the final two days of our weeks stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. First run was quite crowded, did it late morning, and decided to do it over lunch period second time and it was a good choice as it was almost deserted. Other people in our hotel did first thing one day and it was empty then too. The points about the stones coming through are a factor, but if there has been a recent dump it shouldn't be too bad.

To amswer your question, you don't need that much stamina as the steeper bits are staggered and aren't too steep anyway and the final say...6 kilometres(guessing here) is very easy cruising along the valley floor. When you reach a right hand turn with two options and view a bridge to cross down ahead, get your back bottom down and go as that is the start of the very long valley run. You will enjoy, don't miss the chance to do it.
snow report
Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated. It sounds like it wouldn't be too much of a problem, so we'll probably have a go.
snow report
Was going to post a question about doing this but all the info is here! Very Happy Waiting for the clouds and falling snow to finish - Thursday - and then ------- Whooohooo!! Laughing

Craghopper
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy