Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions, decisions....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all;

I'm mulling over a few options for a c.30 school trip 13-21 Dec 2008, for 13-14 year olds, most of whom will be decent skiers. At the moment...
Either;
a) Hotel Amethystes, Les 2 Alpes
b) Hotel Belle Aurore, ADH
c) Hotel Tignes 2100, Tignes

Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels in the past and have any useful info re. snow/village/hotel? We'd also need some evening ents like swimming pool, bowling, cinema, ice skating etc.

The missus and kids (2.5 and 1.5) might also be coming, depending on what the hotel is like....and whether we can find a nanny agency or creche.

Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amethystes: smallish, though you won't get sole occupany with a group that size. Set back from the main road, good bar/public area for quizzes etc. Pool, bowling, ice skating, ice karting for external ents, plus quiz, karaoke, DVDs in-house. Plenty of high skiing, was enough snow that week even last year when conditions were poor across the board.

BA: bigger hotel, right opposite lift to ski school meeting area. Bar/lounge a bit small when the place is full of schools (which it will be that week). Ents pretty much as above. Place was looking a bit run-down last time I saw it. Higher slopes less accessible/suitable than at 2Alpes.

Tignes 2100: huge hotel, public areas don't cope well with 200+ kids. Very small rooms. Small restaurant, multiple sittings for school groups so mealtimes tend to be inflexible - can be annoying when planning evening ents. Plenty of glacier skiing.

Currently SkiBound (BA/Tignes) are offering a lower level of service - eg rooms cleaned on alternate days only (bit nasty with 4/5 kids sharing a bathroom Shocked ), two courses for dinner not three. SkiPlan do a full hotel service.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowhound, my son and his schoolmates stayed in Hotel Belle Aurore, ADH last year. He more or less gave it his seal of approval, although he wasn't overly impressed with the grub IIRC. I assume that no hotel which markets itself to schools is going to be 5*, and from my kids' experiences, they seem to assume that kids want to eat bugers and chips a good deal (which may be correct for all I know). He also enjoyed the skiing (they were lucky with the snow and in having a teacher who is a quailiifed instructor and was able to take them off piste and so on). I'll ask him for further and better particulars and let you know if he has anything intelligent to say (has to happen sometime).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-02-08 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that Lizzard-much appreciated.
I had already found a few dodgy reviews for Tignes 2100 on the internet which reflect what you have said.
I'm also looking at some appartment accommodation in La Daille (we stayed at the Champs Avalins last year and I really like the location of the village for school trips). Meals at local restaurant.

I've had SkiBound/Skiplan/Skiclass/Equity give me quotes and they seem to share many of the hotels between them-Equity have been good for us in the past.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

he wasn't overly impressed with the grub

They had a chef who tends to baulk at serving the dumbed-down food kids seem to like last season. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiPlan = Equity
SkiBound = Ski Class

Lot of mergers gone on recently.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowhound, I spoke to the lad, who said that he enjoyed staying in the Hotel Belle Aurore, ADH. He liked the games room (pool, table footie, arcade machines), which they put on free one night for a games evening, the bar (soft drinks, for him and his mates), which was efficient and imaginative and had friendly staff (all the staff were friendly, apparently - I can't imagine how they do it). The food was OK; he reckoned they tried harder than they might have done, but not to particularly great effect - pasta a bit soggy, that sort of thing. Breakfasts pretty good (he sets alot of store by a decent breakfast). He'd be happy to go back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Snowhound
I stayed at Amethystes over new year, the room was just about big enough for 2 of us, but apparently they try and squeeze up to 5 kids in a room on school trips. Also, the food was pretty good, but again, I asked what they did for schools (they had a big group coming in after us), and apparently they did stuff a bit lower standard than 'normal' customers - as I understood it would just be a bit more greasy ie more chips etc...The bar area has a pool area and sky, which is good for kids, and is very near the slopes - 50m from Belle Etoile chairlift / some of the ESF (if you dare use them) meet points. If you need any q's answered about the hotel give me a pm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KateF, the Amethystes rooms vary a lot in size, and kids are in anything from triples to fives. The smallest rooms are likely to be twins for teaching staff.

SkiPlan's evening meals for kids involve chips on one night only (fish 'n' chips instead of the salmon) and the rest of the meals are basically the same as you had but dumbed down for kids who say 'euurrrgh' to you every time you hand them a plate. They are NOT fed greasy junk, however much they might like it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy