Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how often to spray binding

Poster: A snowHead
How often should I spray my bindings with binding spray?
I assume just to cover all metal and moving parts?
Do I have to be careful not to get onto bases?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, Binding spray - never heard of the stuff!! Do I need it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
Binding spray - never heard of the stuff!!

Me neither.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've learned on here that bindings are best left to experts and to leave well alone for my own safety. I don't have a problem with this advice!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But you must have to look after them to prevent rusting or seizing up? I keep them dry obviously when stored away but that's about it.
It's the only part of my skis I leave alone at present.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman wrote:
But you must have to look after them to prevent rusting or seizing up?

I might loosen the springs during the summer, but other than that they get ignored.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, DO NOT attempt to re-lube or grease your bindings. Modern bindings are not designed to be relubed, and do not need it providing that you treat them decently. Most manufacturers however recommend that the heel track & the AFD (if it's a sliding one) should be lightly lubed with a silicone lube approx every 30 days of use. Don't squirt the lube into the toe or heel pieces.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Binding spray - never heard of the stuff!!

Me neither.

Laughing
that'd be this stuff then. Most of my sales are to shops/clubs for lubing the tracks on demo bindings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a railflex. Do the parts not rust then?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman wrote:
I have a railflex. Do the parts not rust then?

Nope, but the heel track can get sticky which can hamper the heelpiece moving back smoothly when you click in. And a sliding AFD should slide. No need to slacken off the tensions or release the heelpiece. And that's about it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Which bits?
The Tyrolia manual says to do this often...
I'd like to know but erring on the side of not doing anything to them ever...

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, the sliding AFD (anti friction device) on the toe piece - it's that light grey ribbed toothed strip of rubber that the underside of the toe of the boot rests on. A little squirt of silicon in the gap underneath the AFD ensures that it works smoothly in the event of a toe release.

And the heelpiece track. When you click your boot in the actual heelpiece slides rearwards maybe 5-7mm (the internal spring that is being pushed agianst is the forward pressure adjustment). A little squirt of silicone in the track just ensures it slides rearwards easily & the forward pressure is applied smoothly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, done the AFD. I couldn't see any noticeable movement when I clicked in the heel piece and clicked it out.
By track, do you mean the actual railflex or something on the binding? A or B in the diagram...or somewhere else? Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, Above B, down the outside of the forward pressure tab. Most bindings move between about 3-8mm when the boot's clicked in. Don't get too hung up about it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nope, still not sure, sorry.
Which is the forward pressure tab and which is the heel track?
I thought the heel track was along the binding plate?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, the forward pressure lever/tab is a piece of silver metal about 15mm wide & 2mm thick that protudes slighty out of the rear of the heelpiece. It'll have a few lines scribed across the end of it (when the boot's installed the rear of the heel pieces should fall within these lines to indicate the correct forward pressure adjustment), you can see it in your pic just protruding out of the heel piece just above the circle around the letter B.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy