Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new girlfriend's 1st trip..

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for any advice on suitable options for taking newish girlfriend away for 1st time....

Not at all bothered about how good/extensive the skiing is. In fact the more mickey mouse the resort is the better for my sanity (working on the principal if I'm not missing out on much then won't go too crazy). Provided the lifts/slopes are beginner friendly enough for her.

Priorities for her are it's super cheap, as she's never been and is not at all sure it's for her.

Some decent views/scenery, plus nothing too concrete jungle I suppose might help tempt her back again?

Probably talking therefore Andorra vs Balkans/Poland..?

Going over Easter so has to be diy-able vs strictly week to week packages only

Any views/intelligence much appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Consider Kopaonik, Serbia. You can go Sun-Sun from Gatwick with Crystal/Thomson or Sat-Sat from Heathrow with Balkan (but that is to Belgrade, so the transfer's rather long).

Here is a set of reviews from 2007 (scroll down the page - there are loads)

The website gives loads of information in English. I went there for my 1st ever ski trip and it was very suitable and equipment/lift passes/lessons were very cheap indeed - private 1:1 lessons, for example were about £15 an hour.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
angusp, I would also look at some of the Italian and Austrian resorts. Go with a Tour op - Crystal /Inghams/Thomson. Have a search on their sites and see what comes up for your dates at a good price. Narrow the resorts down and then go from there. Tell us which resorts are on the shortlist and then advice can be more specific. Good luck! Hope you convert her.

Edited to add - Crystalski - flying from Gatwick ( don't know where you are) on 22nd/23rd March have Passo Tonale and Val Di Fassa at around £500pp for flights/transfers and half board accom. Passo would be a good beginner area.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-02-08 12:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Kitzbuhel? It's low but Easter is early this year so you should be OK. Austria is cheap (although not as cheap as Andorra, but you might get a last minute deal, even at Easter), Kitzbuhel town centre is pretty and the slopes are, too. Plenty of picturesque cafes and pubs on the slopes. The nursery slopes are on the edge of the town, and with luck she'll graduate to the mountains proper within the week, where there is plenty of beginner skiing. Although it's Austria, she won't need to go near a T bar, if you regard that as a problem.

As I write this, I'm thinking that it may be too pricey, but still, it's worth a look.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks all. issue is we can't do a full week. just the 4 day easter break. so operators are out. need somewhere either easy enough to get to via hire car / private/shared transfer. plus with hotels which can be booked by the night / not only for the usual sat-sat minimum. much appreciated..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
angusp, ignore the above edit then!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try looking at resorts around Salzburg. Many of them will have cheap b&b and you can go to Salzburg for an evening which will add to the beauty of the trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
angusp, New girlfreind will need to be in ski school. Don't teach her yourself, other wise you'll be an ex-boyfreind ! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you had a look at flights yet. That might be a better starting point. See what flights you can get to where on your specific dates and within budget - they may be £££££'s and then look at resorts near to where you can fly into.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds good Elizabeth. Nothing beats a bit of chocolate box Austria!

(PS headed to Gulmarg for 2 weeks in Feb - described as "heli skiing without the need for helis" - so if anyone needs advice/top tips just shout. Working out at about £1500 tops for 2 weeks all in, pocket/beer money included, staying at one of the better hotels, with decent guides to show us around / keep us safe... Not bad going)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Angusp,
Try Saalbach if you are looking ar Salzburg very beginner friendly and very alpine. Or if you are looking for some Romance Zell em Zee nothing says I love you like a frozen lake Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
angusp, My auntie who is a complete beginner (even after 4 weeks of private tuition, she is just hopeless...) really reccomends Kitzbuhel and Saalbach, she has done 1 week in Saalbach and said it was cheaper that Kitzbuhel, but Kitzbuhel seems to be a gorgeous town, I spent a week there last year and had a blast, we were in school at the time and went with ski school all week and skiied some amazingly varied terrain, there really is something for everyone and there are areas which are absolutely fantastic for beginners, or people who are taking their skiing up a step..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski wrote:
angusp, New girlfreind will need to be in ski school. Don't teach her yourself, other wise you'll be an ex-boyfreind ! snowHead

I taught mine in rubbish conditions in a not particularly brilliant beginners' resort (Verbier).

All went brilliantly, barely a cross word all week, and now she's loads better than me. Go figure.. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would recommend Slovenia. The instruction is excellent and very cheap, all the resorts I have seen have been very pretty. None of the skiing areas are huge so ideal for a beginner and you wouldn't feel you were missing out on too much and food and drink costs are very low and standards extremely high so you can eat as much as you like Smile . You can fly to Ljubliana from London and its a pretty small country so most of the resorts are pretty close. I have been to Krvavec, Kranjska Gora, Vogel and Rogla. Out of them Rogla and Krvavec don't have many easy slopes so I would recommend Kranjska Gora or Vogel although there are other resorts that also look nice that I have never been to. I have posted a review on here for my Rogla trip but it is fairly easy to find out things about skiing in Slovenia as most of the websites have a very good english version.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain Sun in Tignes les Boisses
do 3 or 4 day breaks. It's a very short bus ride (stop is right by the chalet) to Tignes le Lavachet/Val Clare which have good beginner slopes - and the novice lifts are free too, so no need to buy a lift pass. You can buy a half day pass to go up the funicular to the cafe at the top and can walk to the ice grotto too from there.
latest report
Butterfly, Tignes on the whole is not the prettiest resort in the world.
ski holidays
Christopher wrote:
Butterfly, Tignes on the whole is not the prettiest resort in the world.

Get them to drive through La Daille first, then take her to Tignes.
The MountainSun place in Tignes is a lot prettier than La Daille...
snow conditions
Drive through Flaine or Les Menuire "on the way" and she won't complain about Tignes! Laughing
ski holidays
Further to the previous answer about Kopaonik, Serbia id certainly recomend it as long as the snow is still ok at Easter.

You can also go with Crystal Ski holiday and as a result you can fly into Nis which is a two hour transfer rather than 5 hours from Belgrade
ski holidays
new gf who can't ski - personally I'd focus on geting her decent instruction as the first priority - if she enjoys it then future trips are guaranteed, if she hates it then you'll need to trade her in for another model.

on that basis I would go to anywhere serviced by Ski New Gen http://www.skinewgen.com/index.html - blow the budget and book her 3 days of private lessons by the end of which she'll be happy sliding down the easier greens and blues,...

Most group lessons don't fit easily into short form holidays..
ski holidays
For cuteness and price, Austria is the way to go.

Step One: Where can you fly cheaply - Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich.

Step Two: Identify a resort near your airport (www.bergfex.com is a good resource).

Step Three: Go to that resort's website and find the lodgings page. As long as you're not going to St. Anton or Ischgl, you can find cheap lodging in Austria.

Step Four: Have fun.
latest report
try the montafon valley, www.montafon.at - very easy on train or car hire from friedrichshafen (ryanair from stansted), great for beginners and intermediates and very nice scenery and architecture. I'm staying in Schruns at Easter, wednesday to tuesday, and I had plenty of accomodation offers from appartment and hotel owners who I emailed through the website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy