Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots and helmets banned from hand luggage at Grenoble airport

Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
Surely you can pack your helmet and boots in your main luggage, and put other no-problem stuff in you hand luggage instead? Works for me.

So, you are happy for your helmet to be out of your control and subjected to the general abuse of baggage handling?
A helmet is a safety item, and if I were to choose this airport to transit through, then I would need to buy a new rigid suitcase to contain it safely.
I have had skis written off by baggage handlers, as someone drove a vehicle over the tips, the tyre marks on the bag were a bit of a giveaway. Decide how many times you would like your helmet stood upon, thrown around (etc) before you collect it at the carousel. Hopefully the airline will be able to give you details of the stresses placed on your helmet whilst in their compulsory care, so you can decide if it will continue to protect you in the event of an impact. Alternatively, drive or take the train.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball wrote:
I just contacted Heathrow. Security at all BAA airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage.

If so, this is utterly ridiculous. Just looked at their website and e.g. for Gatwick
BAA wrote:

Can crash helmets be carried through security?

Yes, providing they fit into your hand luggage, but most motorcycle helmets are unlikely to fit in a bag of this size.

and
Quote:

Can I carry gas hair tongs in my hand baggage?

Yes you can but you are only allowed to carry the one gas cartridge that powers the appliance. Any spare canisters must be packed in your hold baggage.

and
Quote:

Can I carry sports equipment such as flippers and fishing tackle in my hand baggage?

Yes, but only if it fits within your bag dimensions. There are limitations on sharp objects and so you should double-check none of your equipment is covered by those restrictions. Fishing rods are not permitted.

You are also allowed a lighter or safety matches on your person (but not in you hand baggage...FFS) - so you are allowed to take flammable material and the means to light it, but allegedly not an inert lump of plastic. There is no category of banned substance in anything I can see that would cover a ski boot. Sporting equipment (including lifejackets with "small non-toxic gas cylinders") is clearly allowed, provided it is not oherwise excluded (as a fishing rod is a "sharp"). Large inert objects are also clearly allowed, as you are specifically permitted to carry on a childs car-seat (and that doesn't count as a piece of luggage).

Some jobsworth is just making up stuff for the sake of it
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny wrote:
achilles wrote:
Surely you can pack your helmet and boots in your main luggage, and put other no-problem stuff in you hand luggage instead? Works for me.

So, you are happy for your helmet to be out of your control and subjected to the general abuse of baggage handling?
A helmet is a safety item, and if I were to choose this airport to transit through, then I would need to buy a new rigid suitcase to contain it safely.
I have had skis written off by baggage handlers, as someone drove a vehicle over the tips, the tyre marks on the bag were a bit of a giveaway. Decide how many times you would like your helmet stood upon, thrown around (etc) before you collect it at the carousel. Hopefully the airline will be able to give you details of the stresses placed on your helmet whilst in their compulsory care, so you can decide if it will continue to protect you in the event of an impact. Alternatively, drive or take the train.

I use a Salomon Container and pack the helmet, well cushioned with soft clothing around it, in the lower compartment. I think it is better protected there than it would be in the rough and tumble of hand baggage in an overhead locker. I rather think that if a vehicle drives over my bag, the airline will cough up for a new helmet; but if it does not, the world will still rotate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN wrote:
......... but allegedly not an inert lump of plastic........
(my highlight).

Ahem. I hope you are not saying I am possibly fibbing. Shocked I now see FTS wrote something similar which I missed because I was away skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After an absolute shocker at work today, this

Quote:
And I can't see how you think a helmet could not be used as a fair weapon in the wrong hands. It may not ve all that heavy, but it is very hard, and if swung by the straps, could be pretty nasty.

made me p*** my pants! Cheers!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ROTFLMHO

Seriously though, I wouldn't put my helmet in the hold, it's gonna get screwed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be about the density of the plastics used in boots and helmets and the difficulty of being able to see explosives hidden in them- rather than political correctness gone mad!!

There really are bad people who do want to kill you- on planes!

Sorry for being boring.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:

I use a Salomon Container and pack the helmet, well cushioned with soft clothing around it, in the lower compartment. I think it is better protected there than it would be in the rough and tumble of hand baggage in an overhead locker. I rather think that if a vehicle drives over my bag, the airline will cough up for a new helmet; but if it does not, the world will still rotate.

Thats a nice soft baggie, for your safety helmet. The point about having safety gear in hand baggage is that it can be watched. Naturally your airline will undertake to inform you if they abuse your hold baggage at the time, and won't be leaving it, until after you have head butted a rock on your OP week in LDA. Yes, the world will still rotate, I guess it depends on how much value you place on your role in it. If it's so unimportant, why bother with a helmet?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd rather my helmet was in the hold and my boots were with me than the other way round. If the helmet gets lost or destroyed, I can replace it fairly quickly. If my boots go missing, I'll be in rentals until i can find a boot fitter. I guess I value my expensive/fitted boots more than my relatively cheap, off the peg helmet. (which I wrap my clothes around for packing)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thing which makes me nervous about packing a helmet in hold luggage is that if it does get some fairly severe knocks you won't notice, and it's only when it comes to it protecting your head - your life maybe - that you're going to 'notice' any reduction in performance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I'd rather my helmet was in the hold and my boots were with me than the other way round.....

Ditto...
I treasure my boots, as my previous ones WERE lost on arrival at an airport: they were in a small case in addition to my main hold bag. So I am feeling pretty anxious at the idea of not taking them in hand luggage, as I've been doing for a number of years now--since my loss experience. Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edsilva, sounds logical to me. In that case, they could just ask people to remove said items at security as per laptops Puzzled

Oh hang on, you wouldn't want some nutcase to start swinging an unsheathed helmet around in a psychotic fit of rage next to the duty free in T2 now would you Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny wrote:
......why bother with a helmet?

As you may know, it's something I have pondered. I think the main reasons are to prevent minor cuts and lacerations against rocks and tree branches, and some discomfort if I fall headlong down an icy mogul field in the way I saw a friend do.

As for keeping an eye on your helmet in hand luggage - fine theory, but rather impractical once its gone into an overhead locker. Inevitably it wont have much padding around it in hand luggage, and it will be subject to what others chuck at it/falling out of a locker when opened by someone else. I'm content with what I do. I'm happy for you to be happy with what you do. Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I'd rather my helmet was in the hold and my boots were with me than the other way round. If the helmet gets lost or destroyed, I can replace it fairly quickly. If my boots go missing, I'll be in rentals until i can find a boot fitter. I guess I value my expensive/fitted boots more than my relatively cheap, off the peg helmet. (which I wrap my clothes around for packing)

I've a lot of sympathy with that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
As for keeping an eye on your helmet in hand luggage - fine theory, but rather impractical once its gone into an overhead locker. Inevitably it wont have much padding around it in hand luggage, and it will be subject to what others chuck at it/falling out of a locker when opened by someone else. I'm content with what I do. I'm happy for you to be happy with what you do. Cool

Am I the only person who has never put a bag in an overhead locker, ever? I prefer the 'under the seat in front' approach, just because it's so much more convenient.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
I just contacted Heathrow. Security at all BAA airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage.

since when ?? i travelled 3 weeks ago from gatwick with my boots in my hand luggage
latest report
backhojo wrote:
snowball wrote:

since when ?? i travelled 3 weeks ago from gatwick with my boots in my hand luggage

Hmmm. rolling eyes ...............
My Easyjet to Geneva is next month--March. After reading all this conflicting advice, I'm now seriously wondering: to take boots in handluggage or not?
That is the question!
Shocked wink
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
achilles wrote:
snowbunny wrote:

Am I the only person who has never put a bag in an overhead locker, ever? I prefer the 'under the seat in front' approach, just because it's so much more convenient.

There are probably a few other people like yourself wink

But i suspect more people are already unhappy about the amount of room to move their legs about, without adding bags to the space.
latest report
If i take my boots on a plane, which is now a rare event, they have always gone in the hold. I have never even considered taking them on the plane. The thought of carting them round the airport, and heaving them into the overhead lcoker is a put-off for a start. Mine go in the end pockets of my holdall.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I can see where you come from--in this case! Smile Of course, if you can leave boots in your apartment it would not make sense to cart them back and forth! But some of us poor mortals who don't have an Alpine abode (as yet!--but I am still hoping ...one day...before my 90th birthday maybe! Madeye-Smiley )--we have to lug our ski gear around still... rolling eyes
And I so appreciate my precious beautiful comfortable darling boots -that I don't want to lose them ...so in my handluggage they will go....in my usual nifty little wheely case-- and I hope that will be OK with all these BAA peeps... Shocked wink
latest report
Julieanne, as I don't have to deal with nasty London (or even BAA) airports, I am still reasonably happy with putting my boots in my holdall.
snow conditions
Julieanne wrote:
Helen Beaumont, ...so in my handluggage they will go....in my usual nifty little wheely case-- and I hope that will be OK with all these BAA peeps... Shocked wink

Well, as I said, security at all BAA airports now officially bans boots in hand luggage (according to the airports and BA)
latest report
You guys have got me thinking now as we fly out on Sat I thought I would ring BHX airport and just see what their view was, straight away when I mentioned flying to Innsbrck on Sat the lady on the other end said defiantly No Ski boots or Helmets in carry on bags. Puzzled When I questioned her that the Helmet was a safety issue for me she said just pad it well. So the gamble do I take them as hand luggage or re pack, Helmet def. being with me in my carry on.

Now I know why we drive over in the motorhome!! Razz
latest report
snowball wrote:
Julieanne wrote:
Helen Beaumont, ...so in my handluggage they will go....in my usual nifty little wheely case-- and I hope that will be OK with all these BAA peeps... Shocked wink

Well, as I said, security at all BAA airports now officially bans boots in hand luggage (according to the airports and BA)

Hmmm....I guess it's time for me to cease being stubborn! (And say a little prayer to the Ski Boot Deities--for protection against loss of hold luggage..... Shocked Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
sagedog, driving or trains are beginning to seem the best option to travel--especially with ski gear....and I guess we'd be kinder to the planet as well... Confused

PS: And another issue about taking ski boots in hold luggage is the extra weight they add...with only the 20kilos allowed this is certainly going to make it a problem.... rolling eyes

PPS--Did anybody mention--is it OK to WEAR ski boots until we pass through security Toofy Grin ?? Wouldn't that solve this problem? Little Angel

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 6-02-08 10:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Shouldn't cause too much of a problem, don't forget youb have a generous hand baggage allowance, just put some of your clothing in there.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, yes--but most of my clothes weigh nothing-- compared to my ski boots! Confused
ski holidays
Julieanne, I agree with HB. Last week my holdall, with helmet, avalanche probe, shovel, and boots, came to 20.1kg. I chose to have a laptop and transceiver in my one-bag hold baggage - and not much else - but could have taken some more stuff had I a problem. As I see it, you can carry everything you need in hold baggage if you fly easyjet - you may need to carry more in carry-on if you fly Ryanair.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, achilles, sagedog, snowball, thanks for all your good advice! ( I may just take the train and change my Easyjet to a summer flight--to where I don't need ski gear!) Sad
Drastic measures in drastic times... rolling eyes Shocked Shocked snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julieanne, leave the hairdryer, tongs, straighteners and other gear behind then.
wink
latest report
Julieanne, Puzzled What on earth are you packing? I had a very comprehensive load of kit in my hold bag - and as I said, some more could have gone as carry on.
ski holidays
achilles, you put a laptop in your hold baggage ? Shocked Shocked
latest report
Yoda, Absolutely negatory sir, no sir. If I wrote that I was having a senile moment sir, yes sir. Madeye-Smiley

Laptop in carry-on. Point was I could comfortably stick pretty much everything I needed in hold baggage, and so the laptop was rattling around with not a lot else in my day sack (well the latest copy of S&B - but I didn't mention that in case Bode Swiller got into a lather wink). There was plenty of room for more in carry-on. And if I still had had a problem, the laptop could have been left behind - scarcely essential for a ski holiday. So on that experience, I can't see how Julieanne has a problem.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Julieanne, leave the hairdryer, tongs, straighteners and other gear behind then.
wink
--Actually, I don't pack ANY of these things---I have a very good haircut (even though I have long hair) and let it dry naturally! Little Angel (It's a mess whatever I do!)

But my main issue is not really the weight problem--I just have a fear of losing my skiboots if I don't have them with me!! Sad Confused
snow report
Julieanne, only joking......... wink
latest report
I think it is time for a poll .
snow report
Helen Beaumont, ladies don't do poll dancing here. Oh - sorry, you said "poll". On what?
snow report
achilles, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Back on topic, checked BAA and they have no issues - given that the whole European hand luggage crap is partially their fault for not paying for enough security screening you would expect them to be the most paranoid and useless feckers around. But no, we have to hand that to Grenoble.

Actually, no, BAA are the most useless feckers around, Grenoble just seem to be wanting to up their useless feckery game.
ski holidays
achilles, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36067 rolling eyes
latest report
It's a money making scheme devised after that Boeing belly flopped into Heathrow the other week. If you have your own helmet then it's a lost sales opportunity if they want to hire them out as the aircraft approaches the runway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy