Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots and helmets banned from hand luggage at Grenoble airport

Poster: A snowHead
There were prominent signs banning boots and helmets from hand luggage, and stating that they must be checked in in hold baggage, at Grenoble airport today. I was specifically asked if I had a helmet in my hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I fail to see what extra damage a helmet could do compared to some other stuff that you're permitted to put in your hand luggage. Is there any rationale for this decision?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mark_s, haven't a scooby. I'm just reporting what I saw and was asked. Thought it might be a hassle for anyone getting caught at check in, and so posted here. PS - I bought a helmet at LDA, fortunately for me it was in my hold baggage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Money making is the reason, helmet dangerous hardly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was stopped last year at Basel for trying to carry an offensive weapon onto the plane.

The article?

A 2" carabiner still clipped to the outside of my bag. Now if someone can explain exactly how to use that as an offensive weapon, I'll feel I've learnt something...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
glowman, they could tell you, but presumably they would then have to kill you. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surley it's upto the airline, and as long as your boots or helmet fit in the right shape of bag, what does it matter?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, How was Grenoble airport? I haven't been there and we are landing there in March.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin,

It is quite small, but perfectly functional.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy wrote:
boredsurfin,

It is quite small, but perfectly functional.

Yep, but whats Grenoble airport like Toofy Grin

We are flying from Bournemouth so in that case it'll be one small one to another Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, it has a feel a bit like a 'self-service' restaurant
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just contacted Heathrow. Security at all BAA airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-02-08 11:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So what do they do if your wearing them? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy wrote:
Surley it's upto the airline, and as long as your boots or helmet fit in the right shape of bag, what does it matter?

No, it was an airport security requirement.

boredsurfin wrote:
achilles, How was Grenoble airport? I haven't been there and we are landing there in March.

I rather like it - very convenient for ADH, LDA, and La Grave. Security seemed thorough. I was selected for a hold-baggage check. Had to sign a form concerning who had packed my bag and so forth - then had to open my bag for inspection - and explain what the avalanche shovel handle was - but the security chap was pleasant, and I have no complaints. However, the terminal is rather basic air-side - very few loos.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, Basic...you been to Chambery Confused Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller, er yup. Let me re-phrase. Basic for an acceptable airport. wink
snow report
Grenoble airport has a v decent restaurant before passing through security. Well worth a visit time permitting. Once through security there`s b*gger all.
ski holidays
Thanks folks, as we travel with no hold luggage, whats the best route to the car hire desks?
snow report
boredsurfin, the car hire desks are outside in some portakabins immediately opposite the exit
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Get a taxi to the metro station, then go north on the Lyon line, then change...................or you go out the arrivals door and head to the portakbin opposite Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, make sure you have chains (or other extras) if you book them. We had chains booked - but they were not in the car, and the Europecar desk lady said that the requirement had not come through.
latest report
jtobin03 wrote:

You might have a point if it actually made the airport any money.

And I can't see how you think a helmet could not be used as a fair weapon in the wrong hands. It may not ve all that heavy, but it is very hard, and if swung by the straps, could be pretty nasty.
ski holidays
jonty wrote:
Grenoble airport has a v decent restaurant before passing through security. Well worth a visit time permitting. Once through security there`s b*gger all.

That seems to be pretty common with smaller continental airports. Innsbruck is very much the same, and Verona certainly didn't have anything airside, although I'm not sure how much there was before security there.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
jtobin03 wrote:

You might have a point if it actually made the airport any money.

And I can't see how you think a helmet could not be used as a fair weapon in the wrong hands. It may not ve all that heavy, but it is very hard, and if swung by the straps, could be pretty nasty.

Oooh, yes, much nastier than say, a 1 Litre bottle of "Duty Free" Alcohol readily available to purchase after er...."security" rolling eyes
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Gloves banned from hand luggage at Grenoble airport

Ridiculous

achilles wrote:
Boots and helmets banned from foot and head luggage at Grenoble airport

Equally ridiculous

achilles wrote:
Trousers banned from leg luggage at Grenoble airport

Laughable

Joking aside, though, I imagine that a terrorist intending to head-butt a member of the cabin crew would find a helmet effective.

Has anyone ever tried to handbag a pilot, by the way?
snow conditions
boredsurfin,

Queues can build up at the hire desks in Grenoble, especially when Easyjet have done a deal that everyone on your flight is taking advantage of. We got caught longer there than the actual transfer time last year: we Q'd for over 2 hours. (unimpressed? Oh - just a tad...) They also seem poor at matching cars to bookings, and hence much time spent faffing by their staff - they seemed to think it was a regular occurence. And chains? - what are they? No, no mention of that on your booking form. Sir. (= they'd run out.)

So this year we sent 1 person (plus others' driving licences) to the hire desk portacabin while the rest of us picked up luggage from the carousel - worked fine, first in Q, got what we ordered, and car was waiting for us with driver when we got through.

Facilities limited: don't expect to buy gifts for left-at-home-loved-ones that will impress them. Looks as if they are trying to make it better, but last year when our flight was called, the shop on ground-side closed, and the same lady appeared 20 mins later air-side and opened the duty-free...

But I like it. It's sort of unsophisticated and homely, and certainly uncrowded.
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone for the advice, my main ploy at GVA is to head straight thru to car hire (we dont bother with hold bags) and thus rarely queue. So I hope to do the same at Grenoble and I guess that the plane from Bournemouth on a Thursday won't be too full either Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin, I send hubby through to car hire while I collect bags if we have them and we don't book it through EJ.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
achilles wrote:
Gloves banned from hand luggage at Grenoble airport

Ridiculous

achilles wrote:
Boots and helmets banned from foot and head luggage at Grenoble airport

Equally ridiculous

achilles wrote:
Trousers banned from leg luggage at Grenoble airport

Laughable

Joking aside, though, I imagine that a terrorist intending to head-butt a member of the cabin crew would find a helmet effective.

Has anyone ever tried to handbag a pilot, by the way?

Puzzled

I wrote none of those things. I suppose it's your idea of a joke, but I think it is very bad to deliberately misquote another sH - please don't do it.
snow report
snowball wrote:
I just contacted Heathrow. Security at all BAA airports now ban ski boots in hand luggage.

Eek!

I'm glad they didn't have that rule in 2 weeks ago, or both Nells and I would have been checking our boots in.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:

I wrote none of those things. I suppose it's your idea of a joke, but I think it is very bad to deliberately misquote another sH - please don't do it.

Well, thanks a bunch.
I thought I was misquoting a mythological Greek warrior who (strangely) claims to travel through Grenoble Airport. There seems to be something fishy going on here.
snow conditions
JimW, we do this at all car hire desks. It doesn't take a bunch of people to stand and stare at the luggage carousel. I always scurry off and get the car and then swing by to pick up H with the bags as everyone else is just starting to look for the car hire offices.

The paperwork process isn't too bad, but can be up to say 10 minutes, and if there are 6 people on your flight using the same hire desk, that's an hour straight away. Don't want to be waiting in that queue!

D
snow report
Deliaskis,

And I thought I was being unique and clever... wink

But you're right, got to be the way to do it, especially at the smaller airports where the arrival of a single aircraft can overload a desk whose staffing levels are based not on peak demand but general throughput.
ski holidays
I do a similar thing with my own car if a grup of us are returning through Bristol airport. I usually find I get back from the "silver service" car park pretty well the same time the others come out from baggage reclaim with the luggage.
snow report
JimW, if you're a regular flier/renter, there's the thing I used to do.
Land at Strasbourg airport. Clear passport control. As I walked to the carousel, I'd wave at the people at Europcar. I'd grab my bag, and they'd have all the paperwork/keys ready for me to pick up - just needed my signature on two forms. If there was a queue at the desk, they'd set the paperwork aside for me so I didn't have to queue. Many times I was getting into my car with my bags while others on my flight were still in the queue for passport control.
ski holidays
hercules wrote:
Rental cars banned from hand luggage at Grenoble airport

Good point, and thanks for keeping the thread on topic.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
jtobin03 wrote:

It's no more dangerous than many items which are permitted. Swinging a laptop in someone's face would cause a fair bit more damage. Hell, even a fist is likely to cause as much damage as a helmet would. Therefore banning helmets seems like a pretty random idea to me.
latest report
Surely you can pack your helmet and boots in your main luggage, and put other no-problem stuff in you hand luggage instead? Works for me.
latest report
I suppose a miscreant could don the helmet, and thus be more impervious to those passengers "having a go" trying to thwack him about the head with a bottle of Courvoisier.

Grenoble is fine, except that it's a long way north of Grenoble... and susceptible, like all French airports, to strikes. Had to put friends on an easyjet flight from Geneva instead, on the day of a French ATC strike. Then they had to get up to Geneva, then they had to struggle up from Gatwick to Luton, where their car was, after midnight.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I suppose a miscreant could don the helmet....

IIRC the signs specifically stated that helmets must be checked in as part of hold luggage - perhaps someone else going through the airport can check.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy