Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommend me some new skis please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - birthday approaching - going to ask for some new skis

First new pair since I started skiing so the old ones (Rossignol) are 8-9 years old now! They are still great on piste - but not very wide so they just sink in heavy powder and become very hard work!

I fancy something that will be better off piste and in powder as well as still being ok on piste.
I did an off piste course in Flaine last year and hired B3s which I found pretty hard to turn. The instructor told me at the end of the week (useful eh!!) that they were a) too long and b) too stiff as I am only little and light! I sadly cant remember what she recommended - but think it was Dynastar of some kind. She said I needed them more flexible.

I'm female; 5ft; 7 stone 12 and current skis are 150 - and I know nothing about the technicalities of skis!

Thanks in anticipation
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you going out sking before the big day? As their may be some ski test doing on in resort as we all have our own ideas what we like and its you who are going to be sking on them.

That may not be much help to you but i am sure the will get a lot of ideas on snowHead from people with far better ideas than me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes ntfarmer... but I just dont know where to start with testing.
Wanted to try to get some ideas so I can then go in and test the ones people suggest... but thanks for the reply!! Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No worries

Good luck in your quest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could take this opportunity to pimp a pair of Dynastar Legends yet again, but I'm getting bored with it, so I won't. Must get round to putting them on eBay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham, my wife (same weight as you) says, try the following....Rossignol Scratch Girl BC 07/08
Rossignol Bandit B94 Women
K2 Miss Demeanor
Rossignol Bandit B83 Women
Scott Rosa
K2 Phat Luv (her favourite)
All have forgiving flex and are lighter than the mens equ. ski. For off-piste, I think you should try 155cms length.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, I am 5ft and a tiny bit more. Bit heavier though (OK a lot heavier, although I am still 7st 12 in my dreams), I love my K2 Miss Demeanours (153cm) and I loved the Elan Wave Magics, and the K2 Lotta Luvs. Scott Rosa is only in a 168 and upwards though, so I think it would be too long for you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would also suggest testing first.

But a few suggestions. My girlfriend has the B2 female specific model in 158. She is a good recreational skier uses them mainly on piste but perhaps 20% off. She does not ski quickly or aggressively and that seems to suit the B2. I think this years skiis are B78 W or similar and they do a shorter version which may suit you.

The dynastar was probably the exclusive legend which I think is female specific aimed at 50/50 on/off use and you can get in short lengths. I have the legend 8000 which is certainly very good off piste.

Scott all mountain skiis are very good at the moment and they do a female version of the aztec, can't remember what its called tho. When I tried the aztec although it has a reputation for being good off piste it was also excellent for shorter radius turns on piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Dynastar Exclusive Legends.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the female version of the Aztec is called the Maya? The Rosa, sadly, was a special edition that was only produced last year (I have a pair, fortunately). But I would think 168 would be far too long for you anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow thanks for all the replies..
Certainly dont think I fancy 168s. (155 sounds more bearable) The instructor in Flaine was adamant I needed about the same length but just wider.
Will try some of the suggestions when we go out in a couple of weeks....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dynastar Legend 8000 - about 172-6. Good for a girl?

Oooh - can anyone reassure me as I'm getting very nervous after reading this. I'm about to pick up a pair of dynastars that my boyfriend has bought me as an all round ski, but mostly off-piste with some skinning-ski torring.

He says I need the length to power through crud snow conditions and rougher terrain and because although I'm only 5'3" I'm almost 65 kilos. I'm 49 and not overly fast nor agressive. Any views? (He skis the 8800s.)

I've managed 8 powder days so far this year (wow - been fantastic!!) in a mixture of 178 stiff carvers (old Rossys), 180 Rossy scratchs and B1s (just 160) so at least it will be good at least to settle down to a single pair of skis!!!

Cheers and thanks and HELP!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jayne K2 PHAT LUUV, Brilliant all round and have very few weak points acording to my much better half Very Happy Happy skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham, Salomon X-wing Tornados? Not sure if there's a female variant but they're great on and off... and not too stiff - you might well find some in hire shops too
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wendyhewson, DL 8000 172cms? The upper limit for you I think. Good length for powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy