Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Still in shock!

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday we went to snow and rock in bristol to get me some new boots. We looked at the boots and settled on some Atomic Hawx 110's for £299. The bloke in there was really helpful and said they wer the best for that type of foot. He then said they needed to be fitted and made me stand on the machine thingey and proceeded to make some soles.
After about 10 minutes he was still making these soles, and i thought it was strange that we didn't have to pay for them. After about half an hour he had finished them and put them in the boot, and then my i put the boots on, and was asked to walk around in them. I asked the bloke if it was an extra cost and he said yeah and extra £52! I then asked why he hadn't me if i wanted them, and he said that people dont usually ask! I had saved up £300 for boots (which is a lot when your 16!) and that took me ages to save up for, so i didn't want to spend anymore and so i said that i didn't want the heel. He said that they would keep it untill i did want it and i said that i wasn't going to have it, so he said i was not allowed to buy the boots, without the sole. Now i said that i had a £300 limit , he went and spoke to someone and said that i could have them and not the sole, if i promised to come back and buy the sole, but in the end i just left. and think i will stick with my old ones!

Now am i being pickey, or is it always like this?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have always been asked about the insoles first, so the guy in the shop's at fault. It's actually your consumer rights that he has to inform you and the price of them, so if you really want then you should happily go back (perhaps with a parent, don't take this personally, but it may help) and buy the boots without the insole. However, the custom footbeds are a very good and helpful part of a boot fitting and is worth the extra £52...imo. the's a chap on snowheads "smallzookeeper" that runs a shop in france i think, i'm sure you'll come acress him if you look at most boot related articles, you could ask his advice too, he's very helpful. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No it shouldn't be like this. They were trying to take you for a ride.
Snow and Rock might not exactly have a reputation for great boot fitting but this goes beyond that. Maybe it was one bad guy or one bad shop or maybe they show this contempt for all their customers, I don't know. Perhaps they just thought they could get one over on you because you're young Evil or Very Mad
Whatever, full respect to you for making the choice you did and walking out. I would write to their customer service dept at their head office and tell them exactly what you've written here. I'd also make a point of the fact that you wasted a very valuable Saturday afternoon as a result of their incompetance.

Warranty and customer service issues:-
Snow+Rock Customer Service Department
Hours 9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
Tel - 01483 445320.
Email - customer.services@snowandrock.com

Meanwhile take your money to someone who has a strong reputation for fitting ski boots as opposed to just selling ski gear. You'll probably end up with moulded insoles again as they tend to be part of a well fitted boot these days but tell them your budget up front and they'll help find a pair of boots that fit you properly and still leave enough for the footbeds.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You walked in looking like a green youth with 'sucker' written across your forehead.

Misjudged that one, didn't he! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dunny#1, Well done for sticking up for yourself. It really p£$%es me off when adultss treat youngsters in this way. At the very least i would expect a full apology from the company and an offer to supply the inserts for free. After all, they are hardly useable by anybody else, are they.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good on you.

When I bought my Xwave 9's at S&R at sheffield ski village, they said "they" had a rush on, and I got some kid who measured my foot, asked me what I thought, boxed em up and was out the door! 20 mins in all.
Luckily, I had Equipe 9.1's before, and was used to setting canting etc, so I got em pretty right first time out.
Year later, I thought I'd have some conformable insoles, so went along to S&R,, I got more boot fitting then from the insole guy than the previous kid the year before. Not once though was I asked about the 3d buckle, adjustable cuf,f so, I run the 3d buckle on the top position up now and get a good fit. No heel lift, though the conformables are out in favour of Superfeet greens because I've got a very flat/ fat big toe thanks to my youngest daughter stamping on it twice in a row.. so I needed either the inner stretching. I've had the green's in walking boots and they give heel lift so I fitted em, took em to chill factore and I think they are more comfy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunny#1, Well done for sticking to your guns - you should do well in life with that sort of attitude. I would have been very annoyed had a shop have a similar trick with me. When my own boots were fitted, we discussed footbeds and they let me try a set of preformed ones just so that I could see the sort of thing they were. I decided - as much for comfort and cost at the time that I would go without them and that was that - end of conversation, no pressure to buy etc. As it turns out after about 10 days of wearing them the new linings have packed down and I understand the purpose of foot beds and now think that I might like to try some. You might be the same, but in your case out of principle I would buy my boots from a different shop, and then in time if you need them I would get the footbeds made there too. If you told folks where in the country you are they may be able to suggest a different shop for you to visit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, i was worried it was just me! I will write to there customer service deparment, and thank you for the address. I maybe would have bought some cheaper boots and had the soles fitted to them, but it was the fact that he just didn't tell me! I suppose it was never going to work out, the moment i walked in the shop, i got stopped by a security gaurd who asked how old i was, i said 16 and he said have you got ID, to which i replied no, then he told me i had to leave! I had to go in with a parent, as there had been a youngester walk in with a knife in november, it just wasn't meant to be!

As for the boots, i will have a look around the forum, and thanks for the advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would mum and dad be prepared to take you 80 odd miles to buy them. CEM at Bicester is only about 80 odd miles from Bristol.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I live 40 odd miles frmo Bristol Sad I am still deciding what to do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Hawks 100 or 90 would have left you the change in your pocket to buy the footbed. Etiquette aside, you shouldn't ski a skiboot without a footbed. We here too, from time to time, forget to inform the customer of the price. Sometimes we are so busy we forget the simple things as we are concentrating on making Footbeds, deforming shells and serving cold beer. All said and done, you have left the store unhappy. IMO the best thjing to do would be to go back to the store, speak to the manager and ask to have the sales person present. This way the store can stem the problem, correct it and keep it in house. The management should appreciate the opportunity to do this and if after you are not satisfied, then you can contact the Head Office.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunny#1, lots of great advice above. How experienced a skier are you? Unless you are pretty damn hot, you could get a reasonable boot plus insoles for less than £300, especially if you wait till the end of season sale. You were unlucky; I know that S & R come in for a lot of stick here, but I have always found them helpful and fair (not that I've bought boots from one of their shops, though I did get some at their stall in the Ski Exhibition once. Oz boot fitter who, to my inexperienced eye, seemed to take a lot of time and trouble.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was going to say £300 sounds alot. Don't know where you are based. You could also try barry ski lodge (west of cardiff) ask for Zak the manager. Take his advice on whether you need foot beds or not. they tend to be cheaper than S& R. don't know where you live if you are 40 miles from bristol could be completely the wrong direction

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 3-02-08 16:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunny#1, whereabouts are you from?

SnR Bristol are awful at boot fitting. They were adamant to my dad that he needed boots that were 1 1/2 sizes too small, week later he couldn't ski two days because of pain and swelling in his feet due to the bad fit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dunny#1, Good for you; whether by accident or design you were badly looked after.

Sod 'em .. go to CEM in Bicester or Le Zoo - c/o Le Mairie, Chamonix ( Smallzookeeper)
ski holidays
I have skiied about 17 weeks i suppose, used to go twice or three times a year up untill this year, and now i have to go in half term because of A levels! I had intended to get an insole, but maybe at a later date. I wasn't even really going to get the 110's but the boot fitter said that they were the best boot for my foot shape.

And Spikey, im from about 30 miles south of Bristol, near the Longleat safari park?
ski holidays
Dunny#1, I suspect that what the shop assistant meant when he said that was 'the most expensive boot I can con you into buying'. Sounds like you did well to leave when you did.
latest report
Dunny#1, Bicester to see CEM wont be to much of a drag from Longleat way, just over a couple of hours. Give Colin a ring and talk prices first. www.solutions4feet.com
If you need to bribe someone to take you CEM's is about 10 mins from the Designer discount shopping village for a few bargains.
latest report
boredsurfin, Thanks, Yeah ill bribe my mum and tell her she can get some Bargain's lol
snow report
As if you didn't have enough to think about - one more thing to throw into the mix....if you're 16 (and male) don't you still have one more growth spurt to come yet in the next year or two? Can't quite remember how it works (was a long while ago for me), but do your feet join in with the rest of you, or are they done yet? If the former, then you're not going to get a huge amount of wear out of this pair of boots, so £300 is a lot to blow on them. At 17 weeks experience you should be pretty competent though, so you need a decent pair. Tough call.

The other worry in this story for me is that they did footbeds for you but sounds like they did nothing to fit the shell/liner. Maybe you're just lucky, but is that actually then going to be a good fit without any extra fettling to the shell? Maybe something to do with your age again, but I've never had a pair of boots that hasn't required a couple of hours of bootfitter's hard labour...but then I know I am unlucky.

Both points on which the pros may care to comment.
latest report
To be honest i very much doubt my feet will grow anymore, i'm nearly 17 and they haven't grown in for ages, and i hope i don't grow anymore, im allready over 6ft! Then to fit the footbeds, he just put them in and told me too walk around in them, that was it Puzzled
snow report
I found some that i like, bit over priced though, and the money is just for the badge lol http://www.ferraristore.com/e-shop.des/page,shop.flypage/product_id,Ferrari-Lange-Adult-ski-boot_13827/category_id,New-Ferrari-skiing-collection_61/ (Although i do get discount on that! so they would be in my budget! I won't get them though, i would never buy them online.)
ski holidays
GrahamN, my boys feet grew until they were 17 or 18.
Dunny#1, 18 year old had size 10 feet at your age, they are now size 11. His didn't grow for ages either so it is not impossible.
latest report
Yeah i suppose not, but i could just sell them on ebay if i out grow them NehNeh
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
You could also try barry ski lodge (west of cardiff)

They sold me boots that were 2 sizes too big - dunno if it was the "Saturday boy" who served me and I didn't know any better myself rolling eyes
I've since had new boots, fitted by an expert who's based in Bicester wink
snow conditions
Dunny#1,

he's out of order

spend some of your budget on a baseball bat and a six inch nail (best if rusty), then go back and visit Twisted Evil

I would not let something like that go - escalate to store manager and keep on going right up to billy snow and johnny rock until you get satisfaction.

I remember a few years ago buying sale ski's from EB. The dude who was dealing with me was fine and i asked him to give me a base prep and wax thrown in (i was buying 2 pairs). He agreed, i left him a boot, went off for coffee and came back, to learn that he'd been over-ruled by his manager who said he would not do a base prep and it was unnecessary for new skis anyway. I dug in and eventually persuaded him that he was making a mistake and i had already agreed with EB a deal (albeit through his lackey). Once he grudgingly agreed to honour the agreement i then almost tipped him over the edge by deciding not to go ahead with the purchase Razz

they gotta learn!! very satisfying that was (if a little childish!). This kind of tactic only works if you havent paid in advance (a lot of shops will ask you to pay up front before they prep any product - mounting skis etc - DON'T! - token deposit maybe but not the full whack)

we're the customers brothers and sisters
latest report
Dunny#1, This isn't intended to be patronising, but I think its great that you've saved up for your own boots rather than asking mum and dad for them - the satisfaction when you do get a pair and use them should be immense - well done. I had the same sense of satisfaction when I went to the States and paid my own air fare at 18 from money I'd earned plucking turkeys at Christmas - it takes some beating as a feeling believe me.
snow report
barry, Yeah i would go back with a bay, but they would ask me for ID to get in lol! And yeah it annyos me when they think they can treat us how they want.
Megamum, Yeah it was kinda cool walking into the shop knowing that i had earned that money and not asked mum and dad for it! I had to sell a lot of stuff on ebay and clear a lot of tables at work to get that money!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry, Yikes - you're not going to get anyone's 'Customer of the Year Award' Barry, brinkmanship & baseball bats Shocked
snow conditions
Dunny#1, hats off to you for sticking to your guns. The guy probably just made a mistake in not telling you, but you shouldn't pay for it. Good man.
snow conditions
Dunny#1, Longleat is about half an hour from us, and we got to see Colin in Bicester in an hour and 10 minutes Toofy Grin So tell your Mum she could be shopping in the designer discount shopping village in Bicester in under 2 hours wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I went to the States and paid my own air fare at 18

.......... but you can't get on a bus without stressing about it for a week. Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Hmm, I will try and bribe her snowHead Although i might wait till next season to get some new boots, then i can drive up myself Very Happy
latest report
They're generally very nice at S+R Bristol but IMHO not very good at fitting boots, at least some of them aren't, so I'd put the not mentioning the price for the footbeds thing down to cock up rather than anything else.

However to get a proper boot fitting I think you're safest going to someone like Colin/CEM as suggested above.

The Hawx are great boots by the way Toofy Grin
latest report
There's a semi decent small shop in Cheltenham but it's a fair distance from you. It's where I got mine from and I've never had any problems.

I think you should find a decent fitting boot easily for sub £300.
snow report
I bought my first pair of boots from Snow and Rock in Bristol - back in 99 so may well have changed - and they took their time, adjusted the shells a bit as well as the liners. The footbed fitting involved an initial "stand on these" x4 different pairs, followed by the stand on the heated pad thing. All in all it took (IIRC) about an hour and a half. I took the afternoon off work and arrived there at about 2pm and they weren't very busy, which might have made a difference.

My new pair of boots I bought at Twinner (the larger one, at street level) in Les Arcs 2000. Similar amount of time spent, but the great thing was I was able to ski in them and go back for some tweaking. On balance I'd recommend getting boots at the ski resort. The prices weren't dissimilar and the service was fine.
snow report
sounds like the fitter had your best interests at heart, but he should have discussed the cost of the product and explained the advantages to you, i would always suggest that if someone is on a budget that you down spec the boot and go for the footbed or if there is only one boot option then you have the decision to make...spend more to get comfort and performance or do with out and consider it for the future

whilst I quite like the biomechanics of thre Hawx boot it is a pricey option as it is so new, there may be another better or equally as good boot out there for you at a little less money
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
Hawx boot it is a pricey option as it is so new, there may be another better or equally as good boot out there for you at a little less money

I'm sure the young man would like to know which boot/boots they are wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
CEM wrote:
Hawx boot it is a pricey option as it is so new, there may be another better or equally as good boot out there for you at a little less money

I'm sure the young man would like to know which boot/boots they are wink Toofy Grin

It is the ones i was going to get, The atomic Hawx 110's Razz
snow conditions
Dunny#1, Maybe your experience could be a blessing in disguise - if you get to CEM he might be able to recommend a boot at a lower price - when I bought mine they were £140 for novice boots, but many of the more advanced options were only around the £200 mark - you might be able to find something you like and still have £100 or so to go towards a good second hand pair of skis snowHead There are always lots of skis for sale on here I've noticed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy