Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Novice Question about pole planting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
goaty, That fits with what my last instructor said: for big carved turns forget pole planting altogether, for short radius turns it's a timing aid. He also emphasised having a 'quiet' upper body by which he meant don't swing your arms and shoulders around, particularly when carving large radius truns. Pole planting can lead to lots of arm swing.

Megamum, my two mates had lessons every day last week in Val. It was their second ever ski trip, the first being three days last year to Pila. The single most repeated comment by their instructor was 'press down on the outer ski, and lean over it - reach out and down as you turn". The (outer) tip dragging mentioned by BruceW, above also featured highly. I have always been told that leaning in to the hill is as bad as a very bad thing that's very bad Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan wrote:
I have always been told that leaning in to the hill is as bad as a very bad thing that's very bad Laughing

Not strictly accurate. It's much worse than that Wink
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
Megamum wrote:
Instinct would seem to suggest that it would actually encourage a lean the wrong way. I was under the impression that a lean into the hill was desirable Puzzled

Leaning or banking into the hill will cause you to lose pressure on the outside/down hill ski and the out come of that is you are sliding on your butt.

Tracing an arc with your pole round the outside of the turn will encourage sepparation of the upper and lower body so getting greater pressure on the outside/downhill ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I know what I can practice before I have my lessons on holiday next week. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy