Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to go in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
haven't gone sliding in 7 years. Last time was Steamboat. It was most enjoyable.
Previously we've enjoyed SLC, Tahoe, Gremintz, & Trois Vallee.
This time we're thinking Telluride or the Breck/Copper area.
Looking for lots of blue trails, but skiers not bonehead or family resorts.
Good restaurants.

Input welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
metropical, Aspen or Breckenridge would suit you, I think (no doubt other resorts would too). Both have plenty of cruising trails as well as other stuff, and both are pleasant enough towns. Breckenridge is very high, which can cause problems for some people. Decent food easily available in both towns, although the food on the mountain is probably better in Aspen (although it's 14 years since I was there so I've no idea, really). Aspen is a bit more sophisticated (if one can use that word of a town in Colorado) than Breckenridge, but I found them both perfectly enjoyable places to be in. Both resorts are an easy drive from Denver airport (weather permitting). If I had to choose for you, I'd choose Aspen; probably more variety within the type of skiing you want and probably on average better restaurants (and it's lower).

Vail might be another possibility, plenty of blues if my recollection of the one day I skied there is correct, as well as the famous bowls for a gentle intro to off piste. If the town is important to you, forget it; it's a hideous Disney type pastiche of someone's (a Martian's?) idea of an Austrian village. Some decent looking bars and restaurants, though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
metropical, I wuld say Aspen or Vail over Breck - both will cost you a bit more but Breck is deffinately a family resort with a few boneheads thrown in wink

Both Aspen and Vail have plenty of blues for easy cruising, but think Aspen would have the edge on restaurants, and the different mountains provide some different terrain. It is about a four hour drive from Denver, if you can try and get a connecting flight to Aspen airport - 10 minutes away Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now Bones mentions it, there were one or two boneheads in Breckenridge, but not enough to make any difference to the place (I saw one of the few instances of bad behaviour in public I've ever seen in USA, someone swore loudly in public at someone else). I'm not sure what makes a family resort; no ski resort I've been to is unsuitable for families, and all seem to have families there. The most important thing if you don't want that is to avoid school hols (local and UK and other visiting countries).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
metropical, aspen/ snowmass for great blue/black skiing and great food, use the bar menus for best value
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
seems like aspen is the popular pick. thanks very.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just came back from my first trip to Aspen and have no plan of going back any time soon.

While the town and the restaurants in Aspen are top notch and the skiing is fabulous, I barely make it out from Aspen last Sunday. Others in my group had trouble getting in by flight and had to rent a car to drive the 4 hours from Denver to Aspen. The flight, when it flies, cane be scary to say the least. In good weather, it's a 30 min. short hop. But in bad weather, it turned into a choice of 3 day delay vs. a nail-biting 5 hour drive to get back to Denver. I heard enough stories of people throwing up in the plane or praying (or both) to know my experience isn't unique.

I also don't care for all that bussing around to access the "other" mountains, no matter where you stay. If you do go to Aspen, keep in mind Snowmass is higher than Aspen, so altitude issue could be worse (my roommate was sick for 3 days, needing medical help in the end.) Aspen village also have more choices of restaurant than Snowmass. Though the skiing is most extensive at Snowmass mountain.

If you're already in N. America, your best access is to fly to Denver and drive to Breck/Copper. (Copper happened to be my personal favorate - and cheaper slopeside accomondation according to New York Time's recent article). You can easily ski Keystone and A-basin, plus Vail/Breaver Creek about an hour away. The skiing at Summit county are similar to what Aspen has to offer, though the town can not compare.

If you don't "need" to stay slopeside, you can find less expensive places to stay at Frisco/dillon instead, and drop a few hundreds of feet in sleeping elevation. (Altitude doesn't seem to bother me too much so far but I know it can to others, or to me next time, one never knows)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy