Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort beer prices - any advance on €4?

Poster: A snowHead
Having been to Austria for the last two years (St Johann 06, Saalbach 07) I have had the pleasure of spending around €4/€5 on a large beer. Before committing to my next trip I would love to know how beer prices compare accross resorts. Especially French ones as we're picking between La Plagne, Avoriaz and Tignes for 08.

It would be good to include decent happy hours too! Smile

I'll Start...

Saalbach
Price on the slopes: €3.50 large beer
Price in the bars: €4/€5 large beer

Bobby's Bar: 5pm - 7.30pm (Buy one get one free)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski-finder, Don't even think about it! If this is important to you GO to Slovenia, 0,5L beer 1,80€. Just do it Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LARGEZOOKEEPER, it's not a huge issue but i've heard a few horror stories. After my experience of selling my soul in Saalbach to get 6in of snow I'm looking for somewhere a little more snow sure. 1,80€ sounds pretty good to me though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
France is not the place to go for cheap beer in bars (supermarkets are a different story) let alone in ski resorts. I paid nearly €6 for a 50cl in Lille last weekend. LDA has some pretty cheap bars though and it's as snowsure as any.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well here I am swilling a large beer (or eight) in an Austrian bar right now and it is 3.50 Eurothingies. Barlady assures me it'll be the same in the winter. In view of the quality of everything, the view and her general positive demeanour towards me I'd say it is a right royal bargain.

Or go skiing in the Urals... 50p a litre. Can't remember all the the other important facts like elevation, snow quality etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski-finder, best we've had was E2.50 a pint ON THE MOUNTAIN!! in Saalbach last January. We were paying about 3.20-3.50 in the town, same in Zell Am See. St Anton was about E4 regardless of where. Zermatt was roughly 6chf a pint. Val Thorens was anything from E5.5-8 Shocked La Plagne always seemed the cheapest of the French resorts to me, but it was 3 years ago when we last went there, and I do recall nearly passing out at buying a round one night in La Mine in Plagne 1800

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Local beer in Lillehammer (Norway) was €8 for a 500ml compared to €0.60 in (Zabljak) in Montenegro. Do remember Mirebel being a rip off, though can't recall the price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A mate paid €11 for a pint of Coke on the slopes of Courchevel last year; I think that takes some beating.

Edited as I now know how to show €

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-08-07 1:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
€11 for a coke!! Shocked

Look you guys, I realise most of you are Brits and proud of your pound but the symbol "E" means nothing, beyond the capitalisation of the alphabets fifth letter. The Euro symbol is got by pressing ctrl+alt+4.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I paid €22.00 in Tignes on the Slopes for 3 bottles of powerade absolute rip off the cost of a bottle to the bar would be €2 or something, absolute rip of.

Morale of the story is take juice up the hill with ya! lol
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
killian, get a lifeski-finder, you too wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

get a life ski-finder

rayscoops, unfortunately I did get a life, it came with a wife and kids! Hence my concerns about paying hugely over the odds for drinks!

But thanks for the useful comment, always appreciated Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski-finder, Curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on your link.....are you crediting all the useful tips from snowHead somewhere on your site? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnnyboy, a mate of mine got stung (probably at the same place) a few years back. I think it was only €10 then for the coke!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor, no i'm not THAT cheeky, however when I was looking for a resort last year i trawled so many different sites, resorts etc that I kept a record in a database (sad i know) then thought I might as well upload it! I'm not sure I've actually made any useful tips on here or my website tho! Not really much point when I can just direct people to snowHead
latest report
No Escape, Chamonix...€32 or so for two small glasses of vin ordinaire and a bottle of beer. The stale salmon blinis did not make up for it...and now they have a cheek to refuse entry on the grounds of not being "smart" enough?

No Escape? No danger!
snow report
ski-finder, as a married man with kids are you really going to select your ski resort on the basis of the price of a large beer? The price will vary massively from bar to bar, there will be cheap ones and there will be expensive ones, there will be cheap resorts and expensive resorts, with France/Swiss/Austria resorts more expensive than Bulgaria/Slovenia/Slovakia/Andora. Certain French resorts are likely to be cheaper than others. Good market research though if you have reason/need for it wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, who said I was taking the wife and kids with me! wink
snow conditions
ski-finder, fair enough matey, have one on me where ever you end up Very Happy I fully understand wink wink
snow report
Hands up then. Who only gets to have one ski trip a year (in my case 4 days away!), and goes to meticulous planning to ensure it's a good one? I can't be the only one!

rayscoops, oh I will... but only if it's happy hour Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I remember paying €8 per pint in Meribel. Was worth it to oggle the p!ssed chalet girls tho. Smile
snow conditions
the ice perv, as a married man I couldn't possibly endorse such actions...

Where in Meribel was that? wink
ski holidays
Ski-finder, are you Scottish? rolling eyes I do understand the beer problem, every thing paid up front and then you only need money for beer and the odd bite on the mountain. Smile I always think that will be about £200 for the week and then find a small beer is £5 Shock and then end up spending £500, way over budget. Shocked
latest report
Quote:

Where in Meribel was that?

It was actually a place higher up the village, away from the main apres hub would you believe. Can't remember the name. Come to think of it the biggest rip-off was the toffee vodka at the Ronny, can't remember exactly but I nearly had a heart attack when the barman asked for the dosh. The apres was great in Meribel but it is the only time I have (slightly) restrained my boozing due to the cost, usually I just go for it and damn the expense! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
You pay €4-5 for 1/2l in most major Dutch cities. In Amsterdam & at some beach bars you can pay upto €9 Sad
snow report
We paid 28 euros in Les Gets this summer for 3 large beers, two small lemonades (for kids) and a thimble-full of white wine (WARM white wine) - I thought that was pretty steep Puzzled
snow report
Most people do not drink vast amounts of beer up the mountain.

In town there are always supermarkets for cheap beer. So you can slake your thirst before you head out for the evening.

Austria always seems reasonable though and Austrian beer is better than French beer.
latest report
Most ski stations are about the same. Typically in the €3 - 6 range for a decent-sized beer. The outliers tend to be Eastern Europe (cheaper) and megaresorts (pricier). I can recall paying the equivalent of €14 for a half-pint of lager in Verbier a few years back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Most ski stations are about the same. Typically in the €3 - 6 range for a decent-sized beer.

Most pubs in the UK are the Same then in the £2- £4 range for a decent size beer NehNeh

I thorght there was a 100% difference between 3 and 6 Puzzled (same I think not) NehNeh
latest report
Cheapest way to drink is in round with charlatanefc. He gets that impatient waiting for folks to sup up that he will appear with another round of shooters and beer Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, sadly true. Probably explains why I am still paying off last years holidays now Wink
ski holidays
Geeeez guys, it's enough to stop you drinking.

Morzine / Avoriaz / Les Gets is 2.5-3 euros a demi - 5-6 euros a large beer. Magners and Guinness is outrageous - 8-9 euros a pint. They have started selling Walker's Sensations though - which makes up for it wink

Anniepen - 3 x 6 euros, 2 x 3 euros and 4 euros for the wine. You need to live in London...
latest report
Happy Hour in Galli's, Livigno 2003/04 5Eu for 2ltr. jug of beery-pizz . . . a real kidney flush and the bogs down a set of spiral marble stairs . . . wot fun Toofy Grin

I've tasted worse in a Greene King pub
ski holidays
Latchigo, what about your thirst in the morning before going skiing?

"Most" people? Hmmm....
snow conditions
Anniepen - 3 x 6 euros, 2 x 3 euros and 4 euros for the wine. You need to live in London...[/quote]

Glad I don't! Shocked wink
latest report
killian wrote:
€11 for a coke!! Shocked

Look you guys, I realise most of you are Brits and proud of your pound but the symbol "E" means nothing, beyond the capitalisation of the alphabets fifth letter. The Euro symbol is got by pressing ctrl+alt+4.
Not on my iMac - it is alt+2.
latest report
Alt Gr + 4 on mine
snow report
David Murdoch, first visit to Chamonix last year and there did seem to be one or two restaurants that looked frighteningly expensive.

Spent two evenings in Munchies which I thought was superb value, nothing like finishing a meal off with a Jack Daniels milkshake !

Already booked again for Janary and we shall be making reservations at Muchies again.
ski holidays
Pay about $3-4 for fine Northwest microbrews (425ml) at most ski hills in the Pacific Northwest ... and if you drink the IPAs you don't need many wink
ski holidays
bladeskier, Munchies is top although I must admit that the Bistro is our favourite.

There are some somewhat expensive places (and not necessarily, IMHO, terribly good).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy