Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Blades - Cool or uncool?

Poster: A snowHead
666 wrote:
Uncool. They're for people who struggle with skiing or closet-Boarders who can't get out of the closet.

totally untrue. unless of course you can back that up with actual facts
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
arv wrote:
Esco, we've been through this. It was concluded that even the guys on the Revel8 'team' looked sh*te in the park.

do you actually know anyone on the revel8 team? just cause they are on a team does not make them experts. the revel8 team are made up from people from skiboards.online forum. basically a group of mates to some extent. if i remember correctly anyone can apply to be on the team
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seriously uncool. Up there with jester hats.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme wrote:
arv wrote:
Esco, we've been through this. It was concluded that even the guys on the Revel8 'team' looked sh*te in the park.

do you actually know anyone on the revel8 team? just cause they are on a team does not make them experts. the revel8 team are made up from people from skiboards.online forum. basically a group of mates to some extent. if i remember correctly anyone can apply to be on the team

Nope, generally a 'team' (IMV) are seen as being the people at the top of their sport, or particular discipline. Maybe the people on the revel8 team not being very good is bad for the brand and they should look in to it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, I went to JH and a guy who was with us, a knob in my opinion but with big ba**s, got down the mtn on them and not just the easy bits.

Are you a good skier or boarder ? Why would a Boarder bother (?) so not a Boarder and why would a skier, because: 1. they are (very good and) looking for something new (but wouldn't continue) 2. They're struggling.

They're the village idiot of snowsports.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, I went to JH and a guy who was with us, a knob in my opinion but with big ba**s, got down the mtn on them and not just the easy bits.

Are you a good skier or boarder ? Why would a Boarder bother (?) so not a Boarder and why would a skier, because: 1. they are (very good and) looking for something new (but wouldn't continue) 2. They're struggling.

They're the village idiot of snowsports.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, do you recognise these Hagans wink ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56723&start=160#1417746
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops

Hi, my son and I have skied blades for about 6 years, he is now 19 and I am 55. The best technique I have found is not to try to ski in a straight line! Blades are designed for long sweeping turns, getting down very low to the snow with your downhill leg streched out and you other tucked up near you backside. If you make like the Oranga-Utan "Clyde" in "Every which way but loose" swinging your arms around in front of the blades, using them to change the weight over the skiis, you can generate some fantastic and elegant turns. They can be tough on knees though with this technique, as both legs are alternatively really well loaded and bent to the maximum at the knees.

I ski proper skis for most of the holiday, with a 3 or 4 afternoons on blades, for the last 7 trips to La Plange and Latnia, with a cuple of excursion to Lake Taho and Beaver Creek.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
not so much uncool, just sad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ski , I blade , i have fun .............sorry , dont have time to judge others as not qualified . by the way what qualifications do you need to be judgemental of others ? know of a few choice words but there are children reading this .
andy 46 yrs 2 months Very Happy
would have to admit not skiied europe for over 20 years but out in Whistler , Banff , Aspen and Vail never heard a cross word just genuine interest for blades . out in Banff jan 16th - 27th , some days blading some days skiing . see ya out there Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, yeah i remember them, hope your still enjoying them. you got a good bargain there.
arv, as you say, its your view. but trust me about how people got on that team
666, i am a very good skier, instructed for many years, i am also a fair boarder, why do i use skiboards............. cause i choose to, i enjoy them, there fun
andys9, exactly thats what snowsports are about, having fun. i couldnt care less what method people choose to get down a slope, as long as there having fun thats what is important. i cant understand why people want to knock someone elses sport, i have seen videos on this site of people on skis, and to be honest most of them are shoite. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, so let's see a video of you - or anyone - looking cool on skiboards?

andys9, This thread is judging the tool - not the tool-user. I guess for many of us we aspire to doing better and looking like we know what we are doing and vaguely stylish. I have seen many many Snowboarders, Skiers, Free-heel guys and even Monoskiers (quite enjoyed that myself Embarassed ) who I would like to emulate. I have yet to see a blader/skiboarder whose style I want to copy. 99% look graceless, skill-less and brakeless. This is may be because of the people attracted to them rather than anything inherent in the boards themselves. I don't know.

And I also find people in North America are very polite... wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, but why would i need to show anyone a video of myself. i dont need anyone here to tell me what my strengths or weak points are, i already know. this thread really is about snobbery, the my skis are better than your boards thread. in some ways its similar to playground name calling. threads like this just show how immature grown adults can actually be
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have tried them and they are a bit of fun.

It seems to be cool to say blades are uncool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, But hold on - you are the one saying that others here have posted videos of themselves skiing here which are "shoite" and trashing others. So let's see what you and skiboards can do.

You could in fact post a link to anyone on skiboards who looks stylish and I would be happy to revise my opinion.
snow report
Couldn't someone do a poll? Would have saved 4 pages of repetitive tedium ....... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Have to say I can't really understand why anyone would care what someone else has strapped to their feet! I've tried blades and had some good fun on them. Isn't that what life is, should, be all about?
snow report
stoatsbrother, what videos others post here is up to them, just cause they post it does not mean i have to, regardless of what you think.
snow conditions
graeme, don't expect people to change their views then. Didn't have to be you - even thought it is you who is slagging off skiers - a link to anyone would do.

awksquawk, I agree. But if people want to convince others that what they are doing is objectively as good as snowboarding or skiing rather than just enjoyable, then they need to provide some evidence. I stayed out of this thread the first time round, but with people making claims for parity of blading/ski-boarding it is time for them to show us some evidence.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, sorry but what makes you the judge of wether a snowsport has parity with others. the fact that skiboards exist and there are people using them makes them part of snowsports. some numpty on a forum doesnt get to decide.
latest report
In the spirit of this thread, I propose that all other forms of gravity snow-transport other than SNOWBIKES are obsolete and should be banned at once.

*scoots for cover* Toofy Grin
snow conditions
graeme, It is an internet discussion forum - we get to express our opinions which in the end really don't matter a hell of a lot.

You get to tell snowHead skiers they are "shoite", to get stroppy when people run snowboards down, and to tell us they are as good a way of sliding as any, and yet you cannot/will not link to any video of anyone actually looking good on them. Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

seriously uncool. Up there with jester hats.

Right on the money. Last year in Meribel I saw someone with both, the "Idiot combo" if you like. Their friends at least had the good grace to look thoroughly embarrassed. I'm not being a fascist about this, you have every right to wear/use anything you want to, just the same as I reserve the right to say I think you look like a complete tw*t.
snow report
Dr John, I disagree- blades with jester hats can be ubercool- if used ironically (and quite possibly whilst naked).

Apart from that you are right 'the idiot combo' graeme do you have a jester hat? We must be told.
snow conditions
It's kind to say snow blades have a "niche" market. Looking back over the last 25 years or so I can't remember ever seeing anyone looking cool on them. But like stoatsbrother I'm happy to revise my opinion if someone comes up with a video of anyone looking really cool on snow blades. This was the best I could find on youtube (although I admit I didn't look very hard) and it doesn't really inspire me to have a go. Like 99% of skiers I'll stick to full length skis thanks.

http://youtube.com/v/ptJuGJjHOJs
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, the internet is there to search as much as you want for any video you want. i am not here to put up videos for you or anyone. not stroppy at all, i totally understand how a discussion forum works, but the way skiboarding gets slagged off just gets a bit old at times. like i said earlier, it turns into a playground mentality
latest report
uktrailmonster, on that video they look fun - if a bit clumsy - in the park, but Gorilla-like in posture on the Piste - some good carving though, and the few times they get into chopped stuff it looks lame...

graeme, Your understandable desire to change people's minds about them would be more successful if you could point to a video of them looking good - and surely if anyone should know where one is - you should. Anyway - let's let it drop?
ski holidays
Quote:

it turns into a playground mentality

er, what is skiing/boarding/blading if not a huge and very expensive extension of the playground? The thread asks if blades are cool or uncool and the answer seems to have come back that they are very much uncool. Big deal. No problem. Build a bridge, get over it, then get back onto skis and look cool again like the rest of us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So judging by trail monsters suggestion of a half decent video you want some slick edited salomon produced viral ad, and that will make them cool? Well you won't get it, theres not nearly enough money in the sport.

Give me and Graeme a 50k budget and I'm pretty sure between us we could make a video that looks 'cool', and whilst I have a couple of basic tricks and a fair bit of speed, I wouldn't class myself as an expert by any means (any offers gratefully recieved!)
ski holidays
If you can show us some tricks that can't be done using normal skis I'd appreciate it. Please also include shots of bladers going down a piste with more than 5 inches of powder on it without digging in and flipping or grinding to a halt, and shots of bladers carving without the aforementioned "gorilla stance". While your about it don't forget to add the cut-away scenes of skiers and boarders looking on with envy and admiration of the much maligned bladers.

Thank you.
snow report
Esco, nope - us skiers don't go for that bling Wink - just 1 minute of video shot on a 100 quid camera showing what Dr John says for off-piste would do.
ski holidays
As I've said, I personally agree with most of you on the powder front - I would take a snowboard any day given large amounts of powder or off piste, although like many I see on British hills I will often still grind to a halt on a board in powder, and to boot usually end up on my back bottom. If I was going touring I would want touring skins and skis. But 95% of my time on snow is spent in busy European lift served piste bashed resorts, and on these I tend to prefer skiboards most of the time, although I am yet to try 'proper' twin tips. Particularly on Scottish windswept icy slopes, the amount of edge you use skiboarding offers a massive advantage against other forms of snow-transport, which is why I find it strange that these have really caught on on the powdery trails of the US and Canada as opposed to over here.

If your judging of 'cool' also includes how people look using them, do remember that whilst snowboarders look uber cool coming down a mountain, having to do up/ undo bindings before and after every lift ride and walking round with a big patch of snow on their back bottom all day is the complete opposite, and watching anything but the best boarders on Pomas is always a good laugh, as is skiers getting up narrow Poma entrances. However, it's a sport, not a Be Nice please! fashion show, unless your Russian or Italian.
ski holidays
Stoatsbrother - there are likely several videos out there showing off piste skiboarding. Try googling for Sherpa 130's.
snow conditions
Esco wrote:
snowboarders look uber cool coming down a mountain

Apart from Jeremy Jones (who does look pretty cool blatting down giant Alaskan spines) I don't think snowboarders look that great. Skiing looks more cool in powder, take a look at Tanner Hall or Seth Morrison in action. That's uber-cool IMO. As for blading, possibly the skiing equivalent of a unicycle i.e. difficult to master, no inherent advantages and most importantly in the context of this thread UNCOOL.
ski holidays
I love blades. I used them as a learning tool. Much easier to control than full length skis, or even regular short skis and they rapidly improved my technique so I could get from stem turns to parallels and carving. I never got to the point with them where I could concievably be said to look "cool" though.

That said, I have seen people use them "properly" though and they did make it look pretty cool.

I could definitely see myself buying a pair one day as they are easy to carry, great for a warm up day, a lot of fun, and instructional. And in addition getting around without poles is also very freeing. No replacement for the real thing, but a great complement.
ski holidays
ken_1969 wrote:
I love blades. I used them as a learning tool. Much easier to control than full length skis, or even regular short skis and they rapidly improved my technique so I could get from stem turns to parallels and carving. I never got to the point with them where I could concievably be said to look "cool" though.

That said, I have seen people use them "properly" though and they did make it look pretty cool.

I could definitely see myself buying a pair one day as they are easy to carry, great for a warm up day, a lot of fun, and instructional. And in addition getting around without poles is also very freeing. No replacement for the real thing, but a great complement.

Another to 2nd ALL of the above. Very Happy
snow report
as someone said to us the other day on holiday, "they make an average skier look good until they need to stop"
snow conditions
Quote:
If your judging of 'cool' also includes how people look using them, do remember that whilst snowboarders look uber cool coming down a mountain, having to do up/ undo bindings before and after every lift ride and walking round with a big patch of snow on their back bottom all day is the complete opposite, and watching anything but the best boarders on Pomas is always a good laugh, as is skiers getting up narrow Poma entrances. However, it's a sport, not a fashion show, unless your Russian or Italian.

Apart from a super-talented few, I personally think the only time snowboarding looks cool is walking to the lifts. Skis look better carving, in the moguls, offpiste, in powder, on the steeps and in the park. Possibly boards have the edge on rails.

Telemark is by far the coolest thing on the mountian though.

Someone said that the work the blades properly you had to adopt an orangutan-esque position. Why the **** would you want to look like a monkey when you're skiing??!!
ski holidays
Quote:

So judging by trail monsters suggestion of a half decent video you want some slick edited salomon produced viral ad, and that will make them cool? Well you won't get it, theres not nearly enough money in the sport.

Give me and Graeme a 50k budget and I'm pretty sure between us we could make a video that looks 'cool', and whilst I have a couple of basic tricks and a fair bit of speed, I wouldn't class myself as an expert by any means (any offers gratefully recieved!)

I for one couldn't care less about any advertising drivel, but I can go out with a normal camera and take a video of me and freinds looking good whilst skiing (not a good video, but a video of good stuff, key difference). I have yet to see anyone look good on snowblades, but I would love to be corrected if someone can take a few minutes next time they're on a hill to make a video showcasing cool/good looking snowblading (or even skiboarding).
snow report
Esco wrote:
Stoatsbrother - there are likely several videos out there showing off piste skiboarding. Try googling for Sherpa 130's.

looked at the 5 top ones so far, one bloke who doesn't know where to put his hands, 3 who have chin forwards and butt backwards and one who cannot turn.

Help me out here with one you think is good...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy