Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Racers with holes in the tips of their skis?

Poster: A snowHead
(Thought the Piste was as good a place as any for this question)

I've noticed alot of the slalom/giant slalom/ downhill racers have drilled big holes in the tips of their skis.

Am I right in thinking this is a new trend? Never noticed it before.

What's the reasoning behind it?

Cheers! Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noticed it too on Sunday, on the slalom skis, thought wind resistance Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cup holders Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They did it back in the '70s to try and make the tips lighter and vibrate less, for a smoother ride.

CD.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
to see where they are going
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They're hire skis with the hire shop badge removed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its so they can make them into sledges.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought it was for hanging them on a nail in the shed when the're done with.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the more boring answer;

http://www.fischer-ski.com/en/news.php?show=detail&id_news=2069
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, Josef K, daehwons, jayc, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ahhh I had noticed Manfred Mölgg's hole skis on Sunday and had also wondered the reason why - thanks krekeg for the explanation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha! I prefer your replies to the real reason! Very Happy

I guessed it was a weight type issue but surely if it makes a difference, all skis would have a hole cut into them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fergus, I suspect they won't find their way into powder - or water - skiing wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
they make great bottle openers.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sneaky way to literally cut back on the minimum length regs - how long till they have holes drilled all the way along?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It must be to do with wind resistance mustn't it? As in the years gone by when they all skied with legs together and then they all learned that if their legs had a gap between them the wind resistance of two separate legs was less that with them together and so skied with legs apart (Is my memory right? - I used to watch a lot of ski racing when I was younger). I bet the same is true of two sides of a ski tip vs. one fat ski tip with no hole in it.

Sorry is that too sensible for this thread?
snow report
Megamum, I suggest you read the link provided by krekeg - that gives the answer from the horse's/goat's mouth Wink . Legs apart vs legs together is also more about freedom and range of movement to take advantage of the ski shape than it is about wind resistance.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
It must be to do with wind resistance mustn't it? As in the years gone by when they all skied with legs together and then they all learned that if their legs had a gap between them the wind resistance of two separate legs was less that with them together and so skied with legs apart (Is my memory right? - I used to watch a lot of ski racing when I was younger). I bet the same is true of two sides of a ski tip vs. one fat ski tip with no hole in it.

No, nothing to do with wind resistance.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Sneaky way to literally cut back on the minimum length regs - how long till they have holes drilled all the way along?

Spot on, a loop-hole (literally)
latest report
it's so that they can hang them on a couple of nails in the garage during week .....
ski holidays
They don't have any pockets in their race suits so it's a place to keep an emergency 5chf piece in case they get cold on the mountain and need a cup of hot chocolate.
snow report
makes it easier to hold them up for photos without covering the brand sponsorship (or am I just cynical?)
ski holidays
Megamum, genius (if inadvertently).
latest report
I think it's all a marketing gimmick - so the Fischers are more recognizable. Other manufacturers have had "low inertia" tips for some time: think Salomon's original 9000E skis and the Rossignol 7S forward with their replaceable standard/slalom tip. These plastic tips seemed to disappear on a number of race skis recently.
snow conditions
Have read the link - makes sense I suppose. Still prefer my explanation though Laughing Laughing
snow report
admin wrote:
They don't have any pockets in their race suits so it's a place to keep an emergency 5chf piece in case they get cold on the mountain and need a cup of hot chocolate.

I thought it was the cup holder to put their hot chocolate in while they skied.
snow report
Is it part of a marketing gimmick whereby the punched out bits are made into Fischer ear rings, or table coasters..?
snow report
At a recent international gliding event the British team added little plastic triangles to their wings before the racing. They then made up a semi-plausable explaination about improving aerodyamics (by reducing chord wise flow) and reducing drag, improveing performance.

The next day while the British team support were relaxing the Germans and French sent their support crews all over England looking for suitable material and stayed up all night fitting them to the gliders.

Point being that sometimes you do things to upset the competition. Atomic and Head have probably diverted their research departments while Fischer work on real issues...

and yes we came 1,2,3 Very Happy
latest report
Have the skis actually been manufactured like that from scratch or have they modified existing skis?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy