Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines - Accomodation Q

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to sort out a sneaky weekend away near the begining of March and Les Contamines is a spot I've always fancied trying out.

Cos it's a weekend I think I'll have more joy with a Hotel than a Chalet or Apartment, so wondered if anyone had any recommendations on where to try.

We should have a car, so not too bothered about location.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Marc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, good choice. Have a look at this thread. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35051&highlight=contamines
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd just like to point out that in this instance Q means Question, which is not always the case Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there used to be a pretty nice place called the Camille Bonaventure but no trace of it on the tourist office website. maybe it's closed which would be a shame
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, thanks for that, I'd missed it Embarassed

RachelQ, thanks for such a Quigg response <groan>

Arno, I was trying to find it too, but google just sent me to some sort of general holiday finder site Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Mosha Marc, good choice, pretty spot, nice skiing, handy for a day trip to even larger St Gervais/Megeve area too, sorry can't help with accom as we had an English-owned Chalet for a week, be aware village centre is about 1km away from lift-base, probably best to time your trip after end of French School hols (10th March), then you'll have the place to yourselves (relatively speaking).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc,

If you have got a car why not stay in St Gervais? Then you can go to Les Contamines in a short drive or Megeve area as the fancy takes you. Nice town with plenty of hotels. I have skiied in Les C but never actually stayed there so I can't offer any accommodation tips.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trenmold wrote:
Quote:

If you have got a car why not stay in St Gervais? Then you can go to Les Contamines in a short drive or Megeve area as the fancy takes you. Nice town with plenty of hotels. I have skiied in Les C but never actually stayed there so I can't offer any accommodation tips.

Good suggestion, might open up more availability, better value accommodation and its only about 10 min drive between the two. St Gervais/Megeve is a really nice area with beautiful views of Mont Blanc, you might even prefer it, but Contamines has the edge on snow quality.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my recommendation is to stay at Le Chemenz, right at the foot of the main Gondola. Good Value, Good food. Should be able to ski within a 2 minute walk of the Hotel. Been there twice, and still tempted to go back.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:
Trenmold wrote:
Quote:

Good suggestion, might open up more availability, better value accommodation and its only about 10 min drive between the two. St Gervais/Megeve is a really nice area with beautiful views of Mont Blanc, you might even prefer it, but Contamines has the edge on snow quality.

You get pretty well the same view of Mt Blanc from Les Contamines, only from nearer. I'd say Les Contamines (the slopes, not the village) is amid the more spectacular scenery. The St Gervais suggestion is a good one though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trenmold, thanks, will look at St G on t'internet tonight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, if you want to stay in les contamines, there are a few places that look fine - not flash but pretty good. so i wouldn't feel that you have to stay down the valley. there are a couple of good bars in les c and it would be a shame not to be able to partake of those because you have to drive later Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
Quote:

my recommendation is to stay at Le Chemenz

I think the correct spelling is Le Chemenaz, looks nice: www.chemenaz.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar, luigi, I agree it does look very nice - but sadly it's full Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a bit of a problem finding Les Contamines accommodation for my recent weekend trip. None of the English "room finder" websites ever seemed to come up with anything in the village itself, except this one which was far pricier than I was after...

http://www.skicontamines.com/

Eventually I searched www.google.fr and used French websites to find somewhere.

I found this one... http://www.alpage-cugnon.net/index.php and this one http://location-vacances-no1.com/detail-14709.htm

Stayed in the second one (Ferme Du Bon Papa) and loved it.
latest report
magic_hat, Nice Dads' Farm Very Happy

I've mailed them (and a few others) thanks.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
magic_hat, Nice Dads' Farm Very Happy

I've mailed them (and a few others) thanks.

The farm belonged to the current owners grandfather. She got it about 10 years ago and it took 6 years to renovate - it had been a proper working farm. The ground floor where the B&B rooms are used to be the stables for the cows!

It's just off the main street through the village - if you look on a village plan, it's near the Tourist Information office.

No parking actually at the property, but a big free car park not too far around the corner.
ski holidays
Marc,

did you go to Les C??? I have some flights into Geneva booked for Jan and quite fancy trying somewhere new...

Cheers

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski, sadly not.

My babysitters could only do a weekend which coincided with local holidays. As such no one in resort was keen to do a friday-sunday let and ended up in Chamonix (how I suffer).

I wasn't allowed to go to Les C this year either, as a load of other mates came too and their wives wanted something a bit more swanky, so we ended up in Megeve. Didn't get much away from the easy to spot, piste side stuff but for the weekend there was a fair bit of that as we were lucky with the weather.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy