Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this season all it's made out to be?

Poster: A snowHead
zzz, I dont believe all the hype either ( although it's nowhere near as bad as last years!) but why hasn't it been at least an 'ok/average/good' season ? .. I don't know which bit of Switzerland is 'Bad' (60% of what?? , 40% not so means nothing, I agree!). I am in a 1000m resort and the only day I 'couldn't' ski was due to lifts being closed due to rain/snow and High winds -- although the last 4 days has had bare patches showing. For the first time ever afaik Davidof's summary is incorrect from my very localised and personal perspective, although I accept it depends upon what you are looking for -- you wouldn't be in Gstaad if you were looking for serious off-piste!.

Oh and it's still snowing .. perhaps 30cm at resort level so hopefully more higher up.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 2-02-08 9:10; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Grimentz at New Year & the snow was the best I've seen in Europe at this time of year.

I was also in Serre Che a couple of weeks ago & it had the best snow coverage I'd ever seen there in January, I was able to ride runs that have always been closed on my other visits there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:

So yes, to date, below average to poor under 1500 meters. Average 1500-2000 meters and a bit above average higher up. We would generally expect more snow on the mountains this time of year. Off piste the quality of the snow has not been variable with a lot of high winds and high temperatures spoiling conditions somewhat.

That's certainly the case across Switzerland, I came down from 1500m yesterday and the snow depths are dire below that height, bas-Valais, alpes Vaudoise, pre-alpes through towards the Oberland are fairly poor, not much base and most routes not complete to ski which isn't very good in January. It's a shame as the new and first CAS touring guide for around here is out and there's a couple of routes I would have liked to do over the weekend Very Happy

The local forecast looks fairly poor as well, still warm below 2000m or so even at night. There's just been some snowfall but it's only around 10cm below 2000m and not a lot over 20cm above that height.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had two blinding weeks with great snow...... found lots of little stashes long after the last snow-fall

My skis didn't get a service in the 12 days I used them...and even though he tried, the tech couldn't find anything wrong with them... maybe he was disbelieveing that there were no dings to speak of.

Even if the Snow level doesn't go down so far, it has been as good a start..for me..snow-wise, as I can remember.

ise, cheers

:l Smile Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think this season is terrific, we had the best opening couple of weeks for 10 yrs, Xmas week was amazing and New Year was good but spoilt by high winds, this last week has been some of the best January skiing I've experienced, every run open, even the lowest pistes in the domain. It's dumping down now and there are three days of snow forecast for next week. So in La Rosiere it's a great season thus far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:

The local forecast looks fairly poor as well, still warm below 2000m or so even at night. There's just been some snowfall but it's only around 10cm below 2000m and not a lot over 20cm above that height.

I really can't believe how warm it has been during January, look at this chart for 2400 meters at Mont Blanc, it has even been +5C overnight, it has been like this for most of January, incredible.

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/nivose/pics/AIGRGS.html (graph will update)

Now I've skied 2-3 times a week through January and found good snow - spring and some slightly crusty powder and haven't damaged my skis either but the conditiosn are very similar to last January. When I read "best snow for 15 years" (from the ski bizz) I assume this has been written by

i. someone under 21
ii. living in Kingston upon Thames not the Alpes.

The conditions (HS, Isere, French Switzerland) are ok but overall I would say a bit below the average for the last 10 years in my experience.

[Note: I will crunch the numbers later and am prepared to eat my words - I don't have my computer with all the data on it with me]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-02-08 10:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, but does La Ros ever have a bad season? I thought the seasons there were always perfect?

It's a pretty average season all round as far as I can see...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
David@traxvax, but does La Ros ever have a bad season? I thought the seasons there were always perfect?

It's a pretty average season all round as far as I can see...

You should know that La Ros benefits from snow systems from France and Italy so gets twice the snow of Chamonix.

Anyway snow on the Saleve this morning !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre wrote:
zzz, I dont believe all the hype either ( although it's nowhere near as bad as last years!) but why hasn't it been at least an 'ok/average/good' season ? .. I don't know which bit of Switzerland is 'Bad' (60% of what?? , 40% not so means nothing, I agree!). I am in a 1000m resort and the only day I 'couldn't' ski was due to lifts being closed due to rain/snow and High winds -- although the last 4 days has had bare patches showing. For the first time ever afaik Davidof's summary is incorrect from my very localised and personal perspective, although I accept it depends upon what you are looking for -- you wouldn't be in Gstaad if you were looking for serious off-piste!.

Oh and it's still snowing .. perhaps 30cm at resort level so hopefully more higher up.

Davidof is correct.

Jan, on the whole, was a poor month right across most of Europe.

Conditions above roughly 1500m remain good or very good.

But conditions below 1500m have been deteriorating fast.

Temps were high and snowfall was low.

Kitzbuehel, Austria, has a snowdepth 80% below-average on the lower slopes.

Zell am See, Austria, is 80% below-average down low.

Chamonix, France, is about 20% below-average on the lower slopes.

Vaujany, near Alpe d'Huez, France, is 90% below-average down low.

Feldberg, Germany, is 50% below-average in the valley.

Cervinia, Italy, is 30% below-average at the bottom.

Sierra Nevada, Spain, has not seen a single snowflake for an entire month.

Soldeu, Andorra, is coated in manmade. And would probably be mostly closed without it.

Zermatt, Switzerland, is 40% below-average on the lower slopes.

Most low-lying stations need a topup.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Most low-lying stations need a topup.

Which most got last night and will again on Monday pm.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold, but how many "low lying" slopes does CHamonix have? Not very many...

It's not a problem, conditions on the slopes most people are skiing on remain excellent!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, ise, Well I'll eat my words first .. the garden 'stick' may have said 28cms but the bottom of the pistes had had no more than 5-10cm and upper pistes (1500-2000m) maybe 15-30cm ( couldn't tell to be honest); but what was significant that the rain which had preceded seems to have been higher, more intense and done more damage than the snow which followed benefited the skiing; and why I have given up after a couple of hours. The 'weather outlook' may be good but skiing conditions for next few days not likely to be as good as anyone(I) would like. A major freeze and we'll have downhill icerinks I fear .... but it's started snowing again (hope springs eternal!)

Whitegold, Doh ,,, I didn't say Davidof was incorrect , only that I considered his summary incorrect from a 'local and personalised perspective' ie where I am - as opposed to David's general comment on low-lying French resorts. It doesn't mean that I am statistically or factually correct about where I am either ... the only comparitives I have being local 'hearsay' and personal satisfaction.

You then continue with a sweeping, unsupported, generalisation about January and follow it up with unrelated stats about the current (??) status in many resorts , which are possibly irrelevant to current skiing conditions Confused Shocked News of The World material that ... and it's not just top-ups required imho , the ambient temperatures need to be consistently much lower than they've been for the last week.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't we have to be realistic. Although we all may wish for lower temps and more consistency these don't appear to be coming, that has to be faced and we have to enjoy what is there.

Otherwise those who are continually moaning perhaps should consider an interest that is controlled by something we can't control and note that the trend is for shorter seasons and longer periods between snowfall.

Moaning may help you feel better but there is nothing anyone can do about it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied every two or three weeks since the end of October. Always had very enjoyable conditions. Even when it's been warm the snow has been good, so it's been nice to have a few days of springlike temperatures in darkest January. It's by no means epic, but my experience s considerably better than it was last season. Close to a foot of fresh to enjoy this afternoon, and it's still snowing lightly here in Les Arcs. Tomorrow will be a bluebird day if the forecast proves to be correct. Happy days...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Moaning may help you feel better

Not often. The posts above just serve to emphasize that conditions vary a great deal, and depend what you're looking for. For piste skiers conditions in the Espace Diamant have been either good or very good above 1350 since before Christmas, with some very pleasant warm days, several nice snowy top ups, freezing most nights, and 25/30 cms of fresh last night. With more forecast next week, and cold temperatures, the whole area should be in good shape for at least the next two weeks. We've met several lots of first-time visitors here, especially those with small children who had been worried about tough conditions in January, absolutely ecstatic about conditions, and determined to come back. The kind of conditions which suit families skiing for a week in the year are obviously not ideal for experienced skiers or tourers looking to get into the back country. But businesses in the resorts here are looking pretty happy because the area caters for family skiing, rather than experts.
snow report
Lots of talk of the very mild temps recently - i assume this was a french thing - temp have been mild here but not off the scale, all last week. maybe maxed +6 last Sunday when the lower slopes got done over by heavy rain and storm force winds but laid 30cm higher up. Snow depths lower down have been hit but still perfectly good piste conditions, no rocks or mud. Not that bothered by lower slopes anyway as the best terrain is up higher. Plenty of snow today, lower temps and plenty more snow forecast - so looking good here in ski amade area of austria.
latest report
I think the comparison to last season may be the reason why this season has been potrayed as amazing. Media hype or not, I think last years season wasnt a good one.

I have to admit that conditions at christmas time were fantastic this season. Couldnt have really asked for better.

I havent been back to the alps so I cannot comment on what they are like now.
ski holidays
Ok...my opinion on this topis having just got back from a week in Tignes.

First impressions were that the pistes were in pretty good condition for the time of year and especially when there had been no new snow of any real substance for a couple of weeks. I hit no stones all week, and thats always a good indictation.

Now for the off piste. Well i've never seen such windblown damage to the slopes in the 21 years I have been going to Tignes. The coverage on key off piste slopes is actually not that bad, however I have never seen some of the areas so devoid of snow. For example as you go to the Couloirs and look, at the back side of the Grand Balme it literally has NO snow on it Sad The entrance to Couloir 2 had NO snow at the top either. Number 1 had rocks all the way accross and No 3 was actually quite good Very Happy

The Lavachet Wall had snow scraped away and as you excited Mickeys Ears you could not traverse around back to Tignes unless you went a good 200metres further down than a typical year. There brown patches on all the spines on the descent and in between the slopes are loaded withs now and quite deep ( and not very safe). The wind this season has caused real havoc. I'll post some pics later once I download them. I've never seen anything like it in Tignes / Val.

Over in La Fornet so much on the terrain has had the snow blown away completely also. Quite ugly to look at and pretty depressing that every snow fall appears to have had high winds. Lots of my favorite slopes were un skiable. That said I did find some soft un-tracked cold snow out of the bottom of one of the Grand Balme couloirs on the North Face that was great Very Happy But the hike up was on grass Shocked

I think that this year is a typical / average snow year. There has been only 270cm of snow so far in most French resorts. Thats not a lot and when you consider that many seasons by this stage have had upwards of 400cm then I dont think this is a great year yet. It was a good start, but by no means a cracking season. Only time will tell, but for the start of Feb conditions are nice, and much better following the snow fall yesterday as I left Mad

One things for sure.....the other side of the pond is having a MUCH better season. 915cm of snow so far in Jackson Hole. 750cm in Fernie.

Last year I actually had really great skiing in Chamonix and up top there was actually a lot of snow. Down low none. Europe is having some funny seasons lateley and this one for me has been all about the wind having just got back.

Alex
latest report
plectrum, The week you were here was a great week, however if you'd been here last week you'd have had an average week. Now...... if you were here this week you'd have an amazing week. Fridays snowfall has made a huge difference to the area (yes I am here at the mo but have to go to work on tues for a few days Sad ).
ski holidays
snowandtrek wrote:
Double WOW day - sorry haven't left much untracked - off to the Crepu for a glass or two - PERFECT DAY all round!!

kerekip wrote:
Just back from a fantastic ski trip from Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis (Tyrol). Beautiful sunny days, very good snow, perfect pistes.

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Just back from Radstadt and the piste conditions there, and in the local resorts, were some of the best I have ever experienced.

stewart woodward wrote:
The snow will once again refresh the pistes which are still fantastic.

These are all quotes from the last few days throughout Europe... seems like a pertty decent season to me!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 6-02-08 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
This season has been above average.
Snow conditions have been excellent after a slow(ish) start. Some resorts had record levels of snowfall in December, and many had above average levels in January.
(sorry for giving a non-Eurocentric opinion!)
Aspen had over 9ft of snowfall in December
Canyons had a 10ft base in January, followed by over 5ft of snowfall last week alone.
Park City schools had their first snow day closure in 10 years (I believe)
ski holidays
This season is only just getting going properly and so far things have been pretty good havent they ?

About the only place that hasn't had a substantial snowfall yet is southern England Laughing

At least another three months of skiing left yet.
snow conditions
ski-finder, I see, so we judge the season based on 4 individuals (possibly) biased perceptions of single days/weeks?

Wear The Fox Hat, not everywhere... across most of France snow levels below 1,500m are below average. While Northern Switzerland had it's best start in a while I don't believe that there's been consistent snowfall since.

It's a fine season, no complaints but it's certainly not a bumper one - at least not where I am...
snow conditions
David Murdoch, whoa... just saying that people are using many superlatives to describe the season so far! The question asked was:

zzz wrote:
is this season really any good?

From the comments i've seen on here, a lot of people think that it could be described a being pretty good. That's all...

David Murdoch wrote:
It's a fine season
ski holidays
Looks like being a great season for me; at least 17 days in the Alps which is a personal best I think.

Snow seems to be cold and slippy too.
latest report
This thread is time-expired.

The original observation is now a week old. To cite comments on the past may ( or may not) now be irrelevant as 'season-to-date' commentary.

Kill the thread ....... and I'm sure we'll have loads of resumes later in the season.
snow report
ski-finder, sorry, not meaning to jump down your throat, honest. snowHead

I blame thatzzz fella myself. (Or maybe we should be thanking him for complaining?) He happily throws out this thread and not a few days later is grinning all over the other side of his face after an unexpected and epic powder day when some of us were slaving away at their desks. wink

Mosha Marc, 17 days - well done on a PB but - hmm, I think the comment is "must try harder" wink
snow conditions
David Murdoch, must get a job with more holiday entitlement then. I only have 20 days to spend Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, no probs... was just trying to put across that my perception has been that there are some pretty happy snowHead out there this season...
snow report
ski-finder, and so they should be!

Mosha Marc, clearly not trying hard enough! out-friday-night-back-sunday-night-monday-morning? That gets you an additional 30 days or so straight way! Take your weeks Friday night to Sunday night - gets you an immediate free bonus extra 2 days on a 7 day holiday? Eventually tire of the reverse commuting and move to Geneva...
snow conditions
It's a pretty darn fine La Nina season in the Pacific Northwest. A couple of samples from local hills:

White Pass, WA: Snow Depth: 118" base area /151 " summit, New Snow: 18" Past 24 Hours
Mt Baker, WA: Base at Heather Meadows : 175 in 445 cm, Base at Pan Dome : 190 in 483 cm
Mt Bachelor, OR: Mid Mountain Depth (7300') 156" inches
Mt Hood Meadows, OR: SNOW SETTLED AT BASE 182 " SNOW AT MID MOUNTAIN 192 "inches
Silver Mountain, ID: Avg. Base Depth @ Kellogg Peak: 123" Avg. Base Depth @ Mid-Mountain: 82"

and where I'm heading this weekend:

Big Mountain (Whitefish), MO: Settled Base: 114"/290cm

and another foot of pow in the forecast wink

Still, hopefully they'll be good snow when we get to Austria in March!
ski holidays
Am I missing something here? Chatel is reporting:

Bas des Pistes 105 cm
Haut des Pistes 180 cm

And the skiclub average snowdepths for this week are:

Bas des Pistes 44 cm
Haut des Pistes 155 cm

Don't these figures suggest that it is a far better than average season, even at lower levels (the base of the Chatel pistes is 1200 m)?

davidof, where are you with those stats???

My view after 6 seasons here, the snow/snowfall seems to be to be far better than average, but not exceptional. However, January has been very warm (which has actually been quite nice and hasn't been to the detriment of the snowpack).

Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy