Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boy, 12, run over by piste basher on slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Cool! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, excellent news, thank you - I've been worrying about him.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
News evolving of a 12yr old boy that has died in Austria whilst on a school skiing trip. Sounds like a friend has been badly injured.
Sympathies and best wishes as appropriate Crying or Very sad
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gscp6bOJTOJuaa_U-WNoXh0HoEGw
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
freezywater quote - "IMHO if people can't see or avoid one they shouldn't be on the mountain"

Quite an unfair statement as I've just returned from Zillertal and there were a couple of blind/partially sighted skiers with friends who seemed to enjoy the fact they were able to.

Plus bashers can work with NO klaxon on like one in Mayrhofen last week.

Good they saved his leg Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a local municiple law in St Anton (Ski Pistes & Crosscountry Act) that forbids you from sking any pistes that are being prepared by Winch Cats.

All Piste are closed from 5pm unitl 8am and there is NO liability.

When there are storms Pistes are prepared 24hrs a day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, what do they understand by 'Winch Cats'? Last week in St.A there were definitely Pistenbullys out and about before the crowds were off the mountain, with a whole convoy of them heading up the hill while the hill was absolutely full of skiers! I was thinking at the time that all it would just take an out of control skier and you have the makings of a nasty mess. Good job the bullys are parked above the KK/Moserwirt and not below it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winch cats are Kassbohrers secured to an anchor mast at the top of the piste by wire rope to prevent the possibility of the machine sliding uncontrollably on steep terrain. It allows much steeper terrain to be safely groomed than would otherwise be the case. I assume the ban applies to slopes where they are actively winching?

Anyone skiing at Nevis Range will see such winch masts at the top of Goose Gully and Winger Wall.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A piste basher should be fairly easy to see or hear. A high tension steel winch rope on the other hand Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drive a pistenbully piste basher for a living and as a driver I know the importance of taking extreme caution when driving with people around. We won't drive whilst we have public on the slope, but often you get some numpty of a lifty who will just walk behind you whilt you are reversing and bashers do not have breaks, they stop when you take your foot off the accelerator. As far as I am concerned, my sympathies lie with the driver, he was driving from one closed area to another, probably not cutting/grooming as there would be nothing left of the child if he was. The visibility isn't great from a cab, especially of the tracks. The kid probably got too interested, crossed a line and got too close.You can't hear ANYTHING from the cab either, if the kid was stupid enough to get too close, it's not the fault of the driver or the resort, it's the fault of A, the kid from getting too close and straying off the open piste and B, the parents/ski school guide/whoever should have been skiing with the child for not keeping an eye on him andletting him wander off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bigpantsjayke, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Having the point of view of an experienced piste basher driver can only be a good thing; hope you stick around. I think a lot of us are very interested to hear more about the job - and most of us are very grateful for good grooming! Interesting that you note that you don't drive with public on the slope - that's the case in the ski area I visit, but from the posts above it's obviously routine in some ski areas to be grooming slopes which are open to the public. Your comments about the difficulty of visibility etc. make me thankful that our area doesn't groom pistes during the skiing day. I agree that it must have been a terrible occurrence for the driver. Sad Very sad altogether.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigpantsjayke, welcome to snowHeads. I echo pam w's views. It must be terrifying to have to work where there are people on the slopes, if the basher has no brakes (which I didn't realise). Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Should be no need (or desire) to bash during opening hours. If the punters can't cope with a day's worth of ruts they should get some lessons, not worry about colliding with a basher.

And if the pisteurs (or whatever they're called in German) don't want to work at night, tough.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyph wrote:
the pisteurs (or whatever they're called in German)

Trackenflattengeschnellmachenarbeiter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
furdenwimpenmachkeinlumpenmaschinefahrer
latest report
laundryman wrote:
andyph wrote:
the pisteurs (or whatever they're called in German)

Trackenflattengeschnellmachenarbeiter
Laughing Laughing You're so contintental. Or should that be incontinental? wink
latest report
andyph, Laughing
snow conditions
'Einer kliener lumpenwhacker' I believe is the agreed german phrase. Pisteurs are different, they are the guys who pick you up and take you down in the blood wagon when you do yourself a mischief. The ones who spend most of the waking day standing outside their huts, scouting for teenage girls and trying to look as cool as humanly possible. Less pisteur, more poseur...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy