Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - where and what?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Excuse me if this has already been covered - a search just bought up the thread with the poll on helmets!

With more and more talk of helmets, and more and more people wearing them, I think it's time I thought about it.

A mate's just agreed to come with me in March for a week (Saint Sorlin d'Arves..) and I know he's just bought one...maybe this is the kick I need to do it myself.

Anyway, what are peoples' thoughts on makes, types, costs etc? Keen to keep the cost down, but obviously it's not something to skimp on.

Many thanks,
Ed Ludlow
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
all helmets are4 certified to safety standards woo will off a reasonable level of protection. After that you get what you pay for. Different manufacturers have different mould and fitt different shaped heads - e.g. I can't get on with "Red" brand helmets at all. As the price goes up you usually get less for your money inasmuch as the helmet gets lights etc Smile

the big thing is TRY IT ON.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eludlow, really you need to try on a variety of makes/models to see what fits your shape head. Take your goggles with you as well to ensure they fit together. I have a Giro 9 (I think!) but tried on loads of different ones - these fitted me best.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the big thing is TRY IT ON.

Exactly. Do not underestimate the importance of this..as with shoes, sizes/inside shapes somehow vary with each manufacturer, and an uncomfortable helmet will be a nightmare and a loose one will be dangerous...

Plus, if you're like me, it will takes ages to find one that does not make you look like an egghead! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eludlow, Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry, just had to get that out of my system!

Yes there has been much discussion on here about helmets.

First off, the fitting of the helmet is of paramount importance, so don't be tempted to measure your head and buy online.

Take your goggles with you, many are not compatable with some helmets, though these days they do seem to be shaping them better to fit a helmet shape.

I paid around £70 for most of my families helmets, and I would say that this is a good average price, some being loads more expensive and some a little cheaper.

Here is my thread about why we ended up all getting helmets http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33495
and to be honest, you won't even know you are wearing one. Good luck! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
eludlow - choose on fit first and cost/colour/features second.

Unlike cycle and climbing helmets, ski helmets don't have adjustable inner harnesses - so just go into a shop and try everything on. Choose the one that fits the best and don't look at the price until you're at the till.

It's worth saying that most ski helmets are single impact ones - i.e. they're good for one "good" accident. Some of the more expensive helmets are multi-impact. My (expensive) helmet has more than earned its keep.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton wrote:
Unlike cycle and climbing helmets, ski helmets don't have adjustable inner harnesses

Our survey says "uhhh-uhhh". Mine does (K2, not sure what model) and most of the helmets I tried on had some sort of adjustment - some more effective then others, admittedly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Lidl helmet (£7.99 in one of their weekly specials back in November Smile ) has an internal adjustment and I've found it very effective.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your help everyone - after much deliberating, I've got one of these: http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/boeri/6w%20images/rollerbrick350.jpg (in brick colour if anyone's interested!)

Thought long and hard whether I needed one or not, but after reading some of the stories on "the big" thread on helmets, I couldn't help thinking that after giving it so much thought, I'd feel pretty stupid if I didn't get one and something happened Puzzled

Saves the problem of having to get a new hat Cool

Ed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And once you get used to them, like goggles and face masks, you can almost forget you've got them on Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, is that you in there, or Hannibal Lector? Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, most if not all Giros have an adjustable inner frame similar to their cycling helmets and they're very comfortable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc, The Fava beans in Val are great! (with a little Chianti) Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy