Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long does it take to learn this stuff?

Poster: A snowHead
As above. How long would it be before a reasonably fit, young (20s) individual could find his way around an average mountain on a board, if he had a 3 hour lesson with ski-school every day?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
telford_mike, obviously it depends on the individual but the standard time is about 3 days to competently link turns down a blue. However, bear in mind that for those three days it's a case of continiously falling onto knees, back bottom and head! So sometimes it's more a case of needing motivation for getting up for another day of abuse!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, thanks - it's a lot quicker to learn than skiing then Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike, the learning curve is much steeper, yes, the main difference is that unlike skiing there's no real steps to learning e.g. learning snowplow before getting the skis parallel, hence the first couple of days are much harder and more painful on a board. After that though I'd say progession is significantly faster on a board.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Swirly said...

More more pain to start it but more fun to be had quicker...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike, when you start initially you learn how to slide on your heels and slide on your toe side (edge of board), which means on the first day after your lessons you can get down slopes but this is not really 'riding', then get to link the heel slide with a toe slide which is basically a linked turn, however in getting to this stage you can get around the mountain whilst learning by using these basic techniques so you do not really have to stay on the same bunny slope all week Very Happy . I could not think of anything worse than going to ski resort and not getting out to see the mountains Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, totally agree - it's all down to how much brusing your bum can take (anbd your ego) and how much you want to learn.

A half day lesson and you could be belting down a hill no problems if you're. By the end of a week you'll be a God providing you don't have a confidence-eating smash!!! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman wrote:
Swirly, By the end of a week you'll be a God providing you don't have a confidence-eating smash!!! Smile

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops wrote:
Specialman wrote:
Swirly, By the end of a week you'll be a God providing you don't have a confidence-eating smash!!! Smile

Laughing Laughing

Reminds me of an old joke...

Whats the difference between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboarder instructor?...

about 3 days.

Tux
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen people who have never tried before but are strong in skateboarding or surfing pick it up almost instantly, others I see have no chance and should get some private lessons.
About a week is enough to get to the stage where you only unexpectedly slam hard now and again. The hardest part imo is not the turns part, it's learning to go straight, took me forever to get that.
I'm at around 600ish days now but it's only since last winter I feel I stepped it up a touch, this winter I board a hell of a lot less but I'm going harder on the days I do. I remember learning and thinking why can't I do it?

If someone can learn the falling leaf thing on toe and heel edge they can basically get around anywhere except the flat spots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, your not about much these days, are you working too hard ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
much much too hard, I'm spiralling into depression. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, hope yout getting some decent slope time in between working.

Back to the thread... I have had only 2 private 2hr lessons & an hour referesher at MK over 3 years ago, the rest of the time is practice, fall down, get up & carry on. Did watch a really good video called 'How to Snowboard' it helped a few things fall into place with the examples of pressure points.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow, you have been McNabbed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, i didnt watch all of it, just the jumping section and after that I was ollieing as I went along and landing jumps perfectly. It was a cheesy half hour well spent snowHead
snow report
stab, that bit about going straight is true, I only learnt to go straight while staying on a edge last winter and it made a massive difference: no more stopping on flat spots.

Shame about work getting in the way.
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I have the same DVD and thought I will give the old ollie a go, but my board is as stiff as they come and nothing happened Shocked I must try again Very Happy

how many days until your trip? Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops, 2 Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz NehNeh snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, i noticed that every boarder on here have either just come back from the slopes or are heading to the slopes ...... so I booked a crafty one myself ...... so i should be boarding in Morzine by noon on Friday Very Happy and back in work on Tuesday Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
rayscoops, ANOTHER ONE ???????? Shocked Damn you must get paid well Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, 2 days but only one sleep Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

rayscoops, Get up to Avoriaz and do all the snowcross runs. the canyon run and the stash. Then let me know how you get on. On the snowcross down from Mossettes make sure you don't miss the gap in the fence after the first bit, that way cliffs lie Confused
latest report
Swirly, I am gonna attempt to sleep a few hours on Fri night so it is probably 1.5 sleeps, YOU have 2 FULL sleeps NehNeh
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, no I don't I'm in the lab from 9 this morning till 5 tomorrow afternoon Evil or Very Mad Good job I packed on Monday.
ski holidays
Swirly, sounds a bit harsh ! hope they are paying you well for the inconvienience.
You will have to catch up with sleep on the plane / transfer so you can hit the bars on Sat nite Twisted Evil
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, I'm worried that I'll fall asleep on Friday and miss the flight even though it's not till 1700. I won't get anything extra for the hours it's just essential PhD work. Should mean the transfer passes easily though.
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I only own one pair of shoes at a time, so it leaves me with the spondoolies to catch up on 20 years of missed boarding (having only come to it quite recently) Very Happy
Swirly, I will check out Avoriaz maybe on Sat when it is a bit quieter due to change over day, worth a look especially with the Stash Bus thread started earlier this week
ski holidays
Many thanks guys - the thread actually stayed on-topic for quite a while Very Happy Very Happy

tuxpoo wrote:
Reminds me of an old joke...

Whats the difference between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboarder instructor?...

about 3 days.

Tux

I have somethng similar:

How do you know when there's a ski instructor at a party?....

it's easy - he tells EVERYONE he's a ski instructor
latest report
telford_mike, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike, what's the difference between god and a wengen ski instructor?
ski holidays
stab wrote:
telford_mike, what's the difference between god and a wengen ski instructor?

Do tell, oh one-planked one?? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
god doesn't walk around wengen thinking he is a ski instructor.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
god doesn't walk around wengen thinking he is a ski instructor.

Good one - but that's probably only because God can't afford a ski-pass (or one of those red jackets) Very Happy
ski holidays
mike
you never said how you got on?
I skied before, was crap at surfing, and used to skate a bit, but picked it up in one day, but took 2 weeks to get about. My bird spent the last two weeks on the nursery slopes, but was putting in some perfectly carved turnes by the end. clearly boarding is too easy for her, I need to put her off so she stops following me around the world. I thought boarding would do it but her dogged nature kept her at it with brusied back bottoms, elbows and knees...... any suggestions?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy