Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about it...

Poster: A snowHead
I ski (although some may say different!) but I am thiking of learning to snowboard too.

Any advice...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
Don't.

Why?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, Do you also find yourself lusting after women? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, try it, you don't like it, you go back to skiing, easy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
jb1970, Do you also find yourself lusting after women? Toofy Grin

Only ones with big boobs - I appreciate the beauty!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970,

As a someone who has skied from the tender age of 5 and took up snowboarding at the again tender age of 33 ( Toofy Grin )..I'd say go for it!
It's fairly easy to pick up, if somewhat painful to start with! wink
And I find it great to be able to do both...They both provide different sensations and are not incompatible! snowHead Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970 wrote:
laundryman wrote:
Don't.

Why?

Personally speaking (there's no reason why any of this should apply to you):

(1) Even after a dozen years of skiing seriously and over 100 lessons, there's still lots of room for improvement, which would only be put back if I started learning a new discipline

(2) I wouldn't want to trade blasting all over the mountain for looking like a middle-aged no-hoper on the nursery slopes, however temporarily

(3) I fall over quite enough as it is

(4) I don't have problems with pomas / T-bars / flats, and don't want to.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman,

I'll grant you point (4)! Very Happy

But learning a new discipline is great: every little new thing feels like a real achievement, something I don't get anymore with skiing although they are many thing I could improve!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, I guess it's a personal thing. I'm the same with music. I pay the guitar (badly) and sometimes think of taking up a second instrument; but I'd rather aim for playing one decently than two badly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied for 10 years before switching to boarding, I've now been boarding for 12 years. I found boarding much harder than skiing, but I just love the feeling of carving on a board, so I perservered.

Eventually I'll go back to skiing, as I find boarding more physically demanding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i skied for 23 years, learned at 4, before a break (not literally:lol:) and then learning to snowboard last year. do it jb. i can ski well enough, but didn't let that stop me from learning something new. i guess it's up to you and whether you're into a new challenge. one thing is for sure the learning curve is much steeper than skiing - i was on blues day 1, reds day 3 and tackled a black on day 5 (though i shouldn't have - didn't fall but felt a bit like i cluttered up the piste and was side slipping too much for my conscience).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, i dont have problems with pom's/tbars or flats anymore. Very Happy

but i hate skiing (even though i can)

do it jb1970, you never know till you try
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boarders r cool skiers ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm switching in March after 15 years on skis its all about new challenges and if I don't crack it I'll just go back to skis at least we've tried.
ski holidays
bladeski, good on you Very Happy you can have the best of both worlds Very Happy you just need to get through the first 3 days then it is like any other sport you may try - a bit frustrating at times but bit by bit you get betterb at it
snow conditions
snowangel., can you teach me Poms/Tbas - I always fall off Embarassed but give a nasty mogul off piste/black and I will nail it every time Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops, drags are easy ! its all about the balance & leaning back. The one in Tignes by Le Spot has a wicked high speed take off guaranteeing air even if you dont want it Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, the funniest thing is i did fall off one yesterday! then slid 50m on my face as i couldn't get my edge in and it was a very steep drag! Still its very rare for me to have trouble.

I always have two feet in the bindings, i find this helps massively (untill you catch a front edge like yesterday rolling eyes ) Singing also helps as you take your mind off whar your doing! I konw for a fact that i actually thought 'i'm gonna fall off this in a minute' yesterday just before i did! Think posative and you should be ok!

Again its all about practise, and most of the really good snow here involves riding drags, and not easy drags, hence i've become rather good at it! Very Happy
ski holidays
snowangel., I have avoided drags and perhaps only tried them 5 or 6 times with various failures, although i am getting better.

Off topic for a moment, there is a 'should i wear a helmet' thread and I mentioned the beanies with that impact gel sewn into sections of it to give some protection. I noticed your beanie link ... so do you do / can you do the gel filled ones, or maybe a hybrid one based on recycled/cut-up impact slalom vest (foam/polystyrene flexible sheet supposedly?)
http://d3olab.com/products.php?section=4
http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/sc/367/Ribcaps.htm
latest report
rayscoops, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=497615&highlight=getting+lifts#497615
ski holidays
Swirly, the fact that I had only been on drags that catapult you off and do not stop when you are trying to grab the bar/button has not helped - except the last trip when you had to take the poma out of the rack which confused me no end Embarassed

You seem to be a 'foot out' type, which is how I have tried most, but on the last trip I had both feet in the bindings and found it better until I got to a flat area and bit the dust. Incidentally I was doing a lot more riding with one foot in/out away from chair lifts and generally on flats so I may be a bit better on the drags with one foot in/out. Practice is the key I suppose

snowangel., i was thinking about a trip to Serre but you have me worried now wink

DebbiDoesSnow, do you really lean back?, I was told to lean forward Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops, no I'm definately a foot in person. I haven't fallen off one for ages either. So expect me to fall loads in Morzine. Since I wrote that I've used T's as well. Just use them like a drag. Top tip: if anyone else tries to get on the same T punch them.
snow report
rayscoops, maybe its just me, but I get cramp if I lean forward, so its all about the comfort and enjoying the ride. But yeah I lean/sit back just as I would when I used to do them on skis
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, you must be fighting it with your thigh when leaning forward, you just have to let it pull you staying relaxed. That sadi if you've got a method stick with it.
ski holidays
Swirly, to be honest the more one thinks about method, posture, poise etc. on a drag is the minute one embarrases themselves, so what ever it takes to keep you upright with dignity you stick to it.

I think I have fallen off more drag lifts by laughing at mates mishaps then I have ever have from my own technique Laughing That said I havent fallen off one for 3 trips so i must be doing something right (damn I've cursed myself now !!!)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 30-01-08 11:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Swirly, I am better on T-Bars although falling of the first one normally puts off most people from getting on the next one with me. I think I need to get both feet in and actually ride the board whilst being helped along, whereas I seem to concentrate on being dragged along and forget that I am actually riding a board. I think I need to think about the board not the drag.

when are you going to Morzine?

DebbiDoesSnow I must be doing something wrong becasue I am not a bad boarder Embarassed
snow conditions
rayscoops, I have friends that are really good boarders but absolutely REFUSE point blank to do drags as they don't want to fall off. So instead of learning drags in the beginning when it was acceptable & expected to fall , they now miss out on some areas of the mountian because of that fear.

Practice Practice Practice is the only way
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, 9th-16th March, not for a while yet Sad

I know someone who just can't use drags, in PdS last season they had to turn on a T-bar so she could get up and she could only use that with someone helping her. (A skier no less Embarassed Embarassed ) Other than that she's not a bad boarder.
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, sounds like me Laughing I have not fallen of a chair lift for a couple of years though Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, aaah something I cannot claim Embarassed

Swirly, thats the week we are off too, had a look last nite, not so cheap at the mo, will have to wait nearer the time to book something
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, you have to come to PdS so we can finally go for a slide!

rayscoops, I don't think I've gone a week without falling off (or on Embarassed ) a chair!
snow report
Swirly, Laughing In my case the chairs seem to like me so much they don't want to let me go wink

Only one this week were I was on the wrong side of Mr Goofy, thought I had dismounted ok until the chair decided to come further forward than normal, attack me and push me into the railings. Not my fault Guv !
snow conditions
Swirly, in the bar or on the piste Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, judging by the amount of alcohol those guys were putting away when I met them I reckon it was the bar, the chalet, the restaurant, the bus, the funicular and the piste Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:
But learning a new discipline is great: every little new thing feels like a real achievement,

Absolutely. That's why I started snowboarding, though I tend to pick my days (avoid hardpack when you are learning....) and still ski a lot more. like to think I am improving in both disciplines. There are some good reasons why people decide not to try snowboarding but "not wanting to look like a twit" is definitely not one of them. I do find it more physically demanding, and not just because of the falling over (it's very easy to get up on a board, provided your limbs all work after the fall!). My very strong son, an excellent skier and boarder (two seasons in Val D'Isere, after starting at 7 years old) also reckons boarding is much harder work.

Here, you can't avoid drags. I'm fine on the easy ones and haven't yet tried the hard ones! Relieved to see that some experienced boarders ride drags with both feet strapped in. I do find that easier - and was told to keep the board flat (let the drag decide where you're going, don't steer), the weight on the front foot, and r - e - l - a - x. Music helps a lot.

PS Age is irrelevant. In fact, being older helps, as the time of vanity, and giving a damn what anyone else thinks, is well past....
snow report
jb1970, like pretty much everyone else I say go for it. The only bit of advice I'd presume to offer would be 'buy yourself some decent impact shorts before you start' -- Miss S, who's a pretty decent skier, tried boarding a couple of years ago, caught a heel edge on her first morning, landed badly on her coccyx, and that ruined it for her. Pain every time you crouch, combined with stiffening up out of fear whenever you think you might fall, makes learning to board extremely difficult.... Sad

rayscoops, Swirly, DebbiDoesSnow, how you guys doin'? sounds like Tignes was good....
snow report
snojito, PDS for me but good to get some slipping around done Very Happy
latest report
snojito, 1st 3 days were wicked, good snow, bluebird skies ..... the rest was a nightmare of blood, ambulances, hospitals, long bus journeys, police stations & phone bill I am dreading popping through the door ! Can't wait to go again Razz
snow report
You should try everything you get the opportunity to try at least once!

Do it - it's ace to be able to do both and gives you choices depending on conditions and mood snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy