Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed On Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
If somebody feels comfortable doing mega wide turns, why can't they? Somebody who isn't that confident ski-ing and maybe still learning might prefer to do that as then they are losing a bit of height plus giving their legs a bit of a rest.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What if you feel comfortable going at speed past them. Can I just clarify that I'm not talking about doing 50+ just enough to get past them without getting in their way and thus not causing them discomfort by having another skier to close to them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although not setting out to hunt for it I quite enjoy skiing edge to edge in steep red and black slopes, especially if there are bald patches in the middle. It is a way to learn to survive by relying on skill and using the equipment correctly.

I get my kick for getting down a slope safely no matter how difficult and challenging it is and not for charging it down for the thrill of speed or a momentary loss and regain of the control.

One does unweighing from one foot to another to descend a piste. Spending more time in transvering standing upright is a perfect way to take a rest after westling hard at the top part of a long slope. I don't rest unless I have to and if I transverse it will be so slow that even idiots would not have a problem to avoid me. Luckily I haven't got hit yet and have never hit another skier/boarder either.

I slow carefully, always in 100% control, never run into another skier or endanger the others, pay the same price for my ski pass, always go to the quietest part of the resort if possible and I would resent for being the excuse to get crashed into. I now even stay away from the busy French resorts which seem to have more speeding skiers than other countries.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 1-02-08 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buckers, downhill skier has right of way and all that. If he's doing that, it's up to you to find a way of passing safely. You might think it inconsiderate for him to be swaying all over the path, but it might well be all he's capable of or he might be wanting to squeeze every ounce of fun or practise he can from his skiing time and there are some useful drills that can be done on such flat narrow paths. I tend tap my poles or call a warning as I approach and when safe, pass (when not actually myself the one doing the swaying all over the path wink).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of course I'm know that rule, and I always abide to it.

I think I've painted a rather bad image of myself as some, insane speed freak that hates everybody in my way.

This isn't so, I love skiing and haven't got a single problem with anybody on the slopes.

but all I'm saying I feel it is ok for a degree of speed to be used by more advanced skiers who can control their speed, to get by slower skiing skiers safely.

Imagine if everybody skied at the same speed on every slope, it would be gridlock.

And I enjoy speed, its part of the adrenaline rush that I consider skiing to be.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buckers,
Quote:

it is ok for a degree of speed to be used by more advanced skiers who can control their speed, to get by slower skiing skiers safely.

Yes, there's no rule against safe overtaking!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buckers, totally agree with you - apart from this bit
Quote:

I think I've painted a rather bad image of myself as some, insane speed freak that hates everybody in my way.

Don't worry, you certainly haven't given anyone this impression of yourself snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
there is no need to weave from side to side and take up the whole of the piste,

there may be no NEED to, but neither is there any law against it. A gentle piste can be an ideal place to practice all kinds of manoevres, and if you do big round turns you get much more skiing per lift-lift than you do going straight down. The analogy with people "weaving" down a motorway is fairly irrelevant. And if it's a wide piste there is no problem at all for a competent skier to pass somebody weaving down slowly. If you hit someone who "turns into your path" and you "can't get out of the way in time" it's entirely your fault, just as it is entirely your fault if you drive into the back of someone else's car.

It's always possible just to slow down a bit, practice turning on the wrong leg or something, or admire the view, and not be in such a hurry.

It's also fun to go fast when conditions allow, and very annoying to find a bumpy red slope full of beginners snowploughing and falling down all over the place - Carled's suggestions are good ones; shame they won't ever happen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buckers, you as the overtaker are always responsible for any collision, as I'm sure you must know. Yes, I find it annoying when a snake of skiers takes up the full width of the piste, but I don't get the impression that is quite what you are talking about. In any case, what the slower skier is doing is irrelevant. Plainly if you hit some people you were by definition, going too fast for your ability to take evasive action. ie too fast, full stop.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buckers if you are behind someone are you not resposible for NOT HITTING THEM Puzzled Just incase you need a reminder I have plonked the firest 3 FIS Piste rules.

Be considerate of other skiers: Be aware of people around you and take necessary action to avoid skiing dangerously or causing a hazard to yourself or others.

Control your direction and speed of travel, taking account of the terrain, snow, weather and traffic conditions
Select an appropriate path. If you are skiing behind someone it’s your responsibility to ski around them without causing any danger to them.

Overtaking: You can over-take from either left or right but you must leave enough distance between yourself and other skiers to allow them to maneuver properly
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably going off topic a bit here but I hate this idea that you have to get down the mountain as quickly and straight as possible.

If I see a nice bit of powder or an interesting bit of terrain on the other side of the piste I will go across to check it out.

If I want to do sweeping arcs on a gentle slope I will.

If you see an erratic skier down slope of you - just stay well away from them.

Cant do too much about the ones that come from behind you tho.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JDC, you're right, of course, but on a busy piste I do think it's sensible to take a fairly predictable course. Shooting suddenly from one side to the other is more likely to cause you, and anyone trying to overtake you safely, some grief.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agreed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes sure. I just didn't want buckers to get away with implying it wasn't his fault.
But unfortunately even being predictable can not be enough for some nutters. Last year a group of us were doing big, regular, very fast carved turns, well spread out down an empty piste after coming off an off piste run, and the only other person on the piste really tanking it managed to hit me from behind. Damaged my medial and ACL, though I was just OK enough to ski after a month (one doctor said no but another said yes, so I believed the second one).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 1-02-08 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Buckers I think you need to read the FIS Piste Rules, Blues and Reds are the natural home to intermidiaries and beginners who will ski irratically and use the whole slope to control their speed and their fear. I am a long way from a beginner but I know how my girlfiriend felt when she first started and that is somthing I apply to my attitude to others when I am skiing.

FIS General Rules
10 Fis Rules for Conduct

FIS Rules
1. Respect for others

A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others.

2. Control of speed and skiing or snowboarding

A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic.

3. Choice of route

A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead.

4. Overtaking

A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.
ski holidays
pam w, quite. It will be no satisfaction blaming the uphill skier that hit you from your hospital bed.
latest report
Can I add my gentle outrage that any slope user can blame a less experienced skier, whom they are overtaking, for a collision. The experienced skier must leave enough room to allow for an erratic change of direction from the downhill skier. On the other hand its small consolation as nessy, says, so some self preservation behavior is sensible - trying to make predictable turns. Though I have been tempted to step out in front of a car that's jumping lights I resist on the basis that being in the right isn't enough. Funnily enough, you often see cyclists being prepared to trade their well being to prove they are entitled to do want they do (and sometimes they are even in the right wink ) forgetting that 2 ton of metal v lycra is an unfair match. As a parent, I teach my kids to ski (and cycle) defensively (and when it comes to it I'll try to teach them to drive the same way) It a cruel unfair world Sad
ski holidays
there is no excuse for barrelling into someone in front of you.. hitting someone on a blue/green/beginners area or on a track that is busy that beginners have to use is inexcuseable.. slow down , give them loads of space.. anyone hitting an obvious learner or someone struggling whilst trying something new is an a.sehole.. regardles of what they may or may not do.. everyone has to learn, everyone has to try the tricky stuff to get better... the only time you can be in the right for hitting someone below you is if they hit the piste from the side without checking who is coming down.. people who are obviously competent who pass obvious beginners close by are selfish.. wait,,,, pass them 10 yards away.. if you cant remember what its like to be a beginner and needing acres of space to feel comfortable then i hope one day someone much better than you fks your day up.. also dont fart around on the exit to chairs just because you are happy nipping through small gaps.. beginners arnt..
and relax.... wink
snow report
buckers wrote:

And yes, I have crashed into some people when going down the piste, mostly because they have turned into my path at the last minute and I couldn't correct in time. But every time they have been fine, and I have always stuck around to make sure they're alright, I have even one a drink once. I always control my speed to the most when little children are about.

Always your responsibility to avoid those below you, and yes I've had some great crashes avoiding those whose turns are inconsistent, and unpredictable and turn into what I thought would be a clean line, but i did not take them out.
ski holidays
I have hesitated to post in this thread, but wanted to relate an incident that occurred to me at last year's EOSB. I was taking the main piste from Val T into Orelle and was passing a very competent female skier who was leading down a less competent male. She was skiing in nice short turns at the side but her friend was being a bit more erratic - so in order to avoid him I skied a bit closer to her than I might usually have done - and then just as I was about to pass her she unexpectedly turned accross my path. Despite putting in as sharp a turn as I could, I still clipped her skis. Nobody fell.
I felt terrible and stopped to apologise because I knew it was my fault and for my trouble got a string of French verbal.

It was the first time that I have collided with someone in 17weeks of skiing.

The confession I have to make is that although I know intellectually that it was my fault, I still feel that it was at least partly hers. Embarassed
snow conditions
I enjoy speed and I go fast where appropraite.

As long as the piste isnt heavily crowded or there are lots of crossing I tend to let the skis go down a hill quite a bit. If there are clearly inexperienced skiiers about the brakes come on.

I take a lot of room to turn if I want, but never at the expense of other people.

So I dont think there is anything wrong with speed in the right circumstances.
snow conditions
Nick L,

I agree it takes two to tango. In order to have a crash you must have someone to get into your way.

However as various posters have pointed out the downhill skier cannot go uphill to crash into you. He/she is at your mercy. If a crash can be avoided at all then you are the only one who controls it. If you can't avoid it then your speed is too fast because you can choose to stop too to ensure nothing happens.

Thus if you ended up in a miss and got abused then your judgement may not be as perfect as you thought.

We all have a miss with someone here and then but I do think the one downhill can do very little. Thus the uphill skier should be "man" enough to admit to ski down at speed and not hitting another skier actually demands a higher level of skill than just to descend the same slope at the same speed but without the skiers present.
ski holidays
saikee, abolutely agreed, I was mortified. (BTW, at the end of her unexpected turn, I think we were both skiing uphill!)
ski holidays
I got knocked by a skier coming past me last week, I was hardly going slowly myself and wasn't unpredictable as I was going straight down the fall line and had been for a bit. Cue me losing my balance catching a toeedge and being catapulted onto my nose. Blood everywhere and it's still sore to touch now, 9 days later. I'll admit I let rip with a volley of pretty harsh abuse but they didn't even look round let alone stop. It could have been pretty nasty as like I say I wasn't going slow and I don't like to think what might have happened if I had be a child. This was on a green btw.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy