Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone Know Of A North London Ski Shop?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Just purchased some skies online but need the bindings adjusting. Can anyone reccomend a ski shop around the Edgware / North London areas?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barney2201, Nearest to Edgware would probably be S & R at Hemel. The Ski Shop in Finchley closed a few years ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bartletts?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Good call, had brain fade for a minute.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
47 degrees?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe most North London ski shops shut somewhere around the era of mono-skis and rear entry boots due to lack of demand as no one in North London skis anymore.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pollocks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
ise, Laughing

obviously as I don't live in North London and neither have I been there for many years I'm ideally placed to make sweeping generalizations about the area Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
barney2201, have you thought of adjusting them yourself?

There are three essential points:

1. Learning how to set the correct distance between the toe and heel units. Depending on the bindings, you may have the ability to ensure that the mid-point of the boot sole is at the correct point above the indicated centre point of the ski. Otherwise, you're getting the toe and heel the right distance apart to ensure that the forward force of the heel unit is neither too high, nor too low. That may sound complicated, but the heel unit will have an indicator.

2. Learning how to set the 'DIN' indicators on each toe and heel unit to match, according to the binding manufacturer's chart. This is based on your height, weight, age, ski boot sole length and 'type' of skier that you are (not quite the same as ability). Do you have this chart?

3. Testing the 'return to centre' action, particularly of the toe unit (in a shop it's usually done by the technician simply punching the boot toe sideways and checking that it snaps back OK). It's also not a bad idea to learn how to 'self test' the release of the bindings too, thought this isn't easy to explain in print.

People say that all the above is a job for experts but it's a lot easier than adjusting, say, many bike mechanisms. Bindings are very straightforward mechanisms, in terms of adjustment and testing.

If you get stuck with all this I might be able to drop by and show you. Drop me a PM.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, hooray!

I do wonder if a lot of the talk about getting bindings adjusted professionally is actually about litigation worries. More time checking the legal waiver than the bindings even. I have been far from impressed with the way I have seen bindings adjusted/tested in hire stores when I have gone in and watched them in the last year or two. I have even seen an increasing tendency to adjust bindings to a set point to match a barcode-read boot length, rather than the boot itself, with some interestig results. Some bindings seem to be getting simpler to adjust too, with no toe-piece height adjustment, and ability to adjust centre point as you say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy