Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book: Where to ski & snowboard 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am considering ordering this book but before doing so would like to read others opinions on it.

How much focus is on European resorts?
Of the European resorts covered, approx what % is on eastern European resorts?

I'm living in Poland and generally do all my skiing here. Maybe, just maybe, at some point in my life i will make it to one of the big American or Canadian resorts, but for now they are not on my radar and are not of interest to me (cough cough).
I am far more interested in finding out about the cheaper Eastern European resorts in places such as Slovakia, the Czech Rep, or Bulgaria for example. I am also very interested in finding out some good information on the 'less expensive' resorts located in Western Europe.

Can anyone advise me if this book covers what i am looking for?

Many thanks
Braveheart
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The coverage of Eastern Europe is extremely minimal. But for coverage of the major European skiing countries (France, Austria...) it can't be beaten.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with the post above.

I find it's an excellent book - a skiers bible. I've always found it reliable, informative and accurate.

However, coverage of all less popular skiing areas is minimal - this includes eastern european countries. I haven't got the book to hand, but at a rough guess I'd say there's maybe 20 pages at the back that cover Spain, Eastern Europe (mostly Bulgaria), Japan, Chile, Australia, New Zealand.

The other 300 odd pages cover the major European resorts, USA and Canada.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Braveheart, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Braveheart, what's the skiing like in Poland?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys & Elizabeth.B Happy

I have seen 'preview' .pdf pages for this book and i see that it uses a 6 star rating system for grading different aspects of each resort. Under 'Costs', are there many resorts in the European section that are rated with only 1 or 2 stars?

On another note, can anyone recommend a book that covers the less popular & less expensive European resorts. Is there such a book exists?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Braveheart, what's the skiing like in Poland?

That depends on what you are looking for i guess. I only started skiing 3 seasons ago and the resorts here are just fine for me. All resorts here are very small though, generally having only a few runs each. I would'nt even call them 'resorts' if i could think of another word to use. Its my opinion that most of these places are only good enough for a day or two. For anyone looking to book up for a long weekend, or a week or more, then i would recommend staying in Polands winter capital 'Zakopane'. (Zakopnae itself is a great place to visit, never mind the skiing). From here you are very well situated and can get to many of the resorts located in and around the Tatra's. The Tatra mountains are located in southern Poland are officialy an alpine range, they are officially the lowest alpine range in Europe.

The number 1 place would have to be Kasprowy Wierch (located in the Tatra mountains). It is the tallest mountain here used for skiing. Unfortunate'ly, i've never ski'd there yet but i have heard, by all accounts, its good. I have a Canadian friend who has ski'd several resorts here in Poland and he told me that only Kasprowy is good enough for him.
http://www.narty.l.pl/kasprowy.htm

This weekend i plan to go skiing at 'Krynica' to the Jaworzyna section for the first time. This resort is split into three parts 'Jaworzyna', 'Henryk' and 'Slotwiny' and would actually be a good place to go for a short break. You should check snow reports first before booking up though. Only Kasprowy comes with the 'garaunteed' snow.
http://www.narty.l.pl/jaworzyna.htm

The no.1 reason for anyone choosing Poland for a skiing holiday would have to be that it is cheap. Cheap flights are now very easy to get from anywhere in Europe using RyanAir, EasyJet etc etc. Ski passes are cheap, accomodation is cheap, restuarants and drinks are cheap. I guess by now you have got the message, its CHEAP! However, the exchange over the last year or so has plummeted, 18 months ago you could get 6 zloty's to the pound, now its 4.7 zloty's to the pound. Thats over 20% less for your money compared to last year! But, still, its CHEAP when compared to skiing costs in the likes of France or Austria for example!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, many Poles tell me that the better skiing is on the Slovakian side of the Tatra's, so i would advise checking out the options there first (Its probably even CHEAPER than Poland and thats saying something!) snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Braveheart, I have it in front of me.

There is nothing on Slovakia or the Czech Republic.

There are 3 pages on Bulgaria which is mainly Bansko, but small mentions for Pamporovo and Borovets. There is 1 page on Slovenia and 1 on Romania , that is all for Eastern Europe Confused .

Welcome to sH by the way snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Braveheart, There is an online version of 'Where to Ski and Snowboard' the link is http://www.wtss.co.uk/index.jsp

Perhaps you could read that first to gain an idea of what the hardcopy is like.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy